Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Cross Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service

Spray rails?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Beau, Jan 16, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Hey folks,

In a head sea my Post takes alot of white water over the bow. Wouldn't really mind that too much if it didn't spray up on the bridge isenglas Anybody have experience with a short spray rail on these boats?
  2. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

I had a 42' Post & was just about to install the rails but my new boat appeared on the market. Anyway, I was completely sold on them. I met and spoke with two Post owners who said the difference was night & day. They both had run them all the way aft on the chine & they said the performance & handling was better as well.
    http://www.fastrails.com/
  3. geriksen

geriksen Senior Member

i had some rails like that on my 422 Chris Craft. I never got a chance to run it without them but that boat performed extremely well and you can see the rails in action in these pics. You can see it on the boat wave and in the wake.
    I am thinking about putting them on my Bertram 46 too, mainly for lift and speed.

http://gallery.me.com/eriksen12#100014
  4. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Thanks for the imput. I'm thinking of installing them at the waterline and running them back just passed the cabin front. The spray typically occurs at slower speeds running into a good head sea
  5. geriksen

geriksen Senior Member

that should have said "bow wave"
    typo, sorry..
  6. geriksen

geriksen Senior Member

The only issue I did have with them is that they can cause problems in the travelift. The straps have to go around the rails without putting pressure on them. We would put blocks under the straps when we lifted that cC422 but even then the straps would stretch and try to move the blocks.
    Some large flat carpet covered blocks will be needed when you haul the boat.
    Or, start the rails just past your sling mark.
  7. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Very good advice. My only reservation about installing them is the "bulky" look they give to an otherwise sleek hull. Maybe I should take my wife's advice and just wait for a calmer day to travel.
  8. geriksen

geriksen Senior Member

I agree, above the chine they are not pretty.
    Mine ran the full length of the hull right at the chine.
    When the boat was in the water, they could not be seen.