Click for Westport Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger

Cummins 480 failure

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Panaracer, Jan 9, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Panaracer

Panaracer New Member

I have a Sea Ray 2005 390 MY and my Starboard enginee blow a pistol and as a result blow my turbocharger as well. I have 130 hours on the enginees so they are like new but out of warranty. Any idea if Cummings has a history of this problem and might cover the expense, about $10K.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Welcome to Yacht Forums.

Why did a Piston fail and what sort part of the engine went through the Turbo?
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would say that lack of use, would have caused the piston issue due to corrossion in the cylinder walls. 130 hours in 5 years is only 25 hours a year or 2 hours a month. Way under what it should be for the engines to be happy or to keep the fuel fresh.
  4. Panaracer

Panaracer New Member

It happened at idle and we believe the piston ring wasn't seated with effort pressure at the time of manufacturing(if that makes sense, i'm no expert:
    The mechanic use to work for cummins for 20 years said he hasnt seen this at such low hours. This is my first boat and I only have had it for six weeks. bummer. I don't know if cummins would help me with this unexpected expense. thoughts?
  5. Panaracer

Panaracer New Member

Thanks for your reply. Would it make sense to go to Cummins to see if they would help with the repair? Is it likely the Port engine will experience the same thing?
  6. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

Cummins is a very reliable engine, boatdiesel.com has forums specifically on Cummins and the moderator is an expert on Cummins. Suggest to go to the website and read the forums on your specific engine. Good luck! Fred
  7. Panaracer

Panaracer New Member

Thanks for your input.