Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums Click for Glendinning Click for Northern Lights

Iridium Data Connection & Mac OSX

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by MountainGuy, Dec 29, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. MountainGuy

MountainGuy Member

Hi there, I'm looking for an easy to use solution for following needs: I want to access my email from my Mac (OS X) easily from about anywhere (as I understand, for anything else than mail the capacity of Iridium is too low). I do need a mobile solution. Who has any experiences? Who can recommend a good source to shop? Are there any used ones (phones & unused remaining airtime) available?
  2. jhartog

jhartog New Member

If you are looking for an easy program just to check your emails remotely, I recommend LogMeIn. I use this for my business when I am on the road/water. You set up your account easily and when you are away from your home PC, you simply use any internet connection to log in to www.logmein.com. It is the same as being in front of your PC.
  3. BazUK

BazUK New Member

Email

Hi There,
    What coverage are you looking for in your communication device?
    How many miles offshore will you be?
    Are you looking for Iridium specifically?

BazUK
  4. MountainGuy

MountainGuy Member

Thanks for the replys, looking for way to send and receive email while crossing Atlantic. Can use SSB but I'm not familiar with Pactor, except name ;-) so I assumed Sat phone like Iridium is easier to use?!
  5. BazUK

BazUK New Member

Iridium

For global coverage the Iridium (Portable) is definitely the best option.
    Its far easier to configure for receiving emails than attempting to tune a HF.
    Its data rates (2.4kbps) aren't anything to get excited about, but fine for downloading a few emails a day. Just be aware that data and voice sessions are prone to dropping out; you just have to be patient. I've configured units for skippers who expect them to behave like their mobile phone.
  6. aquamarine

aquamarine New Member

Hi,
    Can't say for Mac, but I have my Iridium connected to my Yacht PC and have used e-mail and phone services every day during my Pacific crossing (13000 nm) and it worked perfectly. Make sure that you configure your mail box to accept only small e-mails as downloading big ones takes a lot of time and will cost you something like US$ 500 per mail...sometimes just to realize that someone sent you a couple of Pics...