Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for Walker Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder

Kohler Genset

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by doorpro, Dec 28, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. doorpro

doorpro Member

Hi all,

a couple of months ago my generator started taking a few seconds to start instead of instantaniously and a week or two after this it would not start at all.
    So i changed the filters and checked the air filter to ensure that it was clean,
    no luck and i think that i have bled the system properly.
    What I have noticed after talking to a few people is that If I hold the fuel solenoid open the engine will start but will only rev very slowly and really doesnt seem to kick in and of course when i let go of the solenoid the engine stops.
    My question here is, Can i check the solenoid in any way to ensure that it is faulty before i buy a new one? Also, if it is a faulty solenoid then why when i hold it open doesnt it rev higher like it used to?

As always thanks to everyone who assists in this matter.
    regards,
    Doug.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Have you checked your water flow (impeller, sea strainer, etc.)?
  3. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Disconnect the solinoid, leave the fuel system open.

Does it still do the same thing?

If you have the 3 cylinder Yanmar motor it's very easy to knock the solenoid when changing the filter. Often the wrong filter is in the service kit and will pinch onto the solenoid.

Is it a 7E or a 9E model?
  4. doorpro

doorpro Member

Yes, all is well with those items and water streams out without problem. Wouldn't the genset run until it got hot anyway?
    thanks,
    Doug.
  5. doorpro

doorpro Member

I will try that but can you please tell me how to leave the fuel system open? Do I simply connect the wires from the solenoid so that It will bypass it?

This problem started before i touched any filters so i'm sure that I didnt knock the solenoid and the filter doesnt obstruct the solenoid in any way.

Model 13.5CCOZ.

thanks,
    Doug.
  6. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

First, read the troubleshooting section of the manual to see if you can identify the problem there

Next, check if any safety switch has closed the circuit to the solonoid., you can disconnect a wire at each one, one at a time to see if that's the issue.

Third, check for voltage at the solonoid when activating the starter..if no voltage, check the relay if older model, newer models have pc board, may need replacing...

If all those issues check out with no problems, I would call a Kohler tech...
  7. doorpro

doorpro Member

Hi Dennismc,

I have checked the manual and it truly looks like everything is leading to the solenoid.
    I have also read that it may be a safety swith like you have mentioned but the manual doesnt mention where to locate them, can you help?
    Lastly, it is like pulling teeth out there to get a tech involved.
  8. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

All of the safetys will remove power from the solenoid allowing it to close and shut down the engine. If you can get it to run by holding the fuel valve open then the problem is with the solenoid. Since you got it to run (sort of) by holding it open with the solenoid attached, either the range of movement is limited and not allowing full flow through the valve which accounts for slow running, or you have an obstruction in the valve opening itself inside the governor.

There could be something in the solenoid that prevents the slug from moving through its full range. Disconnect the actuating rod from the fuel valve on the governor and see if you can manually get full opening. If it runs full speed it is the solenoid, if not then something is restricting fuel flow.

Or a passenger may have his elbow in the way.
  9. doorpro

doorpro Member

Marmot, Dennismc, FISHTIGUA & NYCAP123... Halelujah !!! :D

I had been messing with that darned linkage from the solenoid to the govenor all morning and once i had read what you had written it all fell into place.

You see the locking nuts on the linkage were all loose and the threaded rods had partially undone causing the govenor to only open about 75% of the way which of course would let the genset run but not really kick in to full throttle.

Finally, once i had put everything back and tightened up the locking nuts and hit the starter she fired right up as usual and all is well in my life again. ;)

Once again, I want to thank all of the great people in here that have helped so much in resolving this issue, you are all so helpful.

best regards and Happy Holidays to all,
    Doug.

PS. The reason that I hadn't had a tech look at the generator was their typical greed. You see I had set up for the Kohler people in our area to come out but they wanted 2 hours of traveling time ($240.00 when i can do it in an hour) as well as a $120.00 per hour labor and as much as I didnt mind the hourly rate i felt that I was being screwed and when i told the service rep so she said that she could remove the traveling charges but then I dont think that i could trust them and as far as getting the smaller guys that are good as well as reasonable and honest they are all busy and couldnt get one out for a month which enabled me to fix this thing with the help of this great forum.
  10. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Just a follow up...removing safetys allow the solonoid to close if the safety is in the shutdown position.....been there done that last week....good to hear you are all back to normal and the list helped !!!