Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay

Jeppesen sells Nobeltec to Signet, What's next?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by ThirdHatt, Dec 27, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ThirdHatt

ThirdHatt Senior Member

I am about to close on a new-to-me boat with a fairly recent glass bridge system running Nobeltec 8. I would like to add satellite weather, so apparently I will need to purchase a $379 upgrade to either Admiral 9 or Admiral Max Pro (10) which uses the preferred C-Map charts.

This sounds easy until I learned that the Max Pro software has had some issues with bugs causing crashes, etc. I would think just go to Admiral 9 because it works well, but now I learn that Jeppesen has just abandoned Nobeltec and sold it to Signet. Unfortunately, everyone involved is being tight-lipped about the future of Nobeltec and any future support.

Interestingly, Furuno owns a large percentage of Signet so I wonder what the possibilities are for serious support and continued development of the Max Pro software and beyond for Nobeltec.

What are those who are running Nobeltec to do?
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  2. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

The Max Pro software is pretty poor for chart resolution, I did the upgrade from version 9 to Max Pro and wish I had not, the problem being that Nobeltec does stop supporting older versions and so you have to be careful of that, I do at least still have ver 9 on a backup laptop if needed, the Max charts I have on a Raymarine system are awful things.