Click for Cross Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko Click for JetForums

Diesel Warranty??

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Teddy1, Dec 25, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Teddy1

Teddy1 New Member

I just purchased an 04 Sportfish with Cat C12's, I was considering buying an extended warranty for the them from Cat? The cost would be aprox. 5,000. per engine for a 2 year and 8,000 per year for a 3 year?

The engines have 350 hours on them. I had oil analysis done on the engines, trans and genset and the numbers were good. I also had Cat do an engine analysis and there were no major problems, just a couple of minor leaks, that the seller corrected.

Do you think it is worth spending the money for the warranty?

Thoughts?
  2. Henning

Henning Senior Member

It depends on your personal usage and if you plan on reselling within the warranty period. 350 hrs on an 04 set of engines is not a good thing, machines hate to sit, they are meant to run. If you are not mechanically inclined to do your own repairs and plan to keep the boat long term and operate it heavily, I'd go with the 2 year warranties, the issues from lack of use will shake out by then. If you are planning to sell the boat in a couple of years, assuming that the warranties are transferable, I would get the three year plan.
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I would tend to agree with Henning here.

I would also have a very close look at the fine print to see what conditions must be met in way of Cat Maintenance to make the warranty valid.
  4. Teddy1

Teddy1 New Member

I do not plan on selling the boat. On my last boat I put on only 70 hours per season. This was a SeaRay Amberjack, that I used mostly for inshore fishing, with a Canyon trip 3-4 times per season, now that I have a bigger boat, I will probably put on 100- 150 hours per season.

Thanks for your input?
  5. Henning

Henning Senior Member

100-150hrs a season is ok, but if it's getting put up for 4 months or more at a time, make sure you do a storage service. You pay a little more now, but it will save you much more in the long run, promise.
  6. Jackie J V

Jackie J V New Member

Your local CAT dealer would want to do a throrough inspection including a sea trial prior to agreeing to provide the extended warranty. When I bought my used boat in the spring with CAT 3406E's, I was told to expect a bill of around CDN$2,000 - 2,500 for the full initial service and inspection.

At the end-of-the-day, I decided not to go for the extended warranty. If the issue pre-existed, it would be detected and preclude the warranty. At the end-of-the-day, it's a crap shoot in favor of the house. Any engine could blow though...

As for the hours and usage, 70 hours in a northern clime is at the low end of reasonable usage...and that's about how your new boat was used. I do about 120-150 and I'm at the upper end of the range in my area. Unfortunately, lay-up is about 5 1/2 months and yes, proper service is necessary, even when, as in my case, you lay the boat up in heated storage.

Good luck with the new boat. I love my CAT's...they purred like kittens all season!:D