Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Abeking

Boat Horns

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by dainisk, Oct 20, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. dainisk

dainisk Member

Does anyone know of any good quality horns?

I am looking for a stainless steel dual trumpet horn that will last (air or electric). I have had Ongaro, AFI and some no-name Chinese brand and all have failed after about 2-3 years. Khalenberg seem to have a good product, but evidently don't make anyhting in stainless steel - only chrome plated. (And anything on a boat that is chrome plated looks like crap after a few years.)

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you
  2. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

4. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Buell makes a high quality horn. Take a look at any older Bertram/Hatteras to see how they fare over time.
  5. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

LOL, ironically, as soon as I saw this thread. "Carnival Victory" sounded her horn, three short blasts ,signifying she was pushing away from the dock and commencing manouvers. Very loud!
  6. dainisk

dainisk Member

Thank you gents for your suggestions. Yes, I was leaning towards Kahlenbergs, though the chrome plating bit naggs me a bit.

Yachtnew's comment also brings to mind a similar story. A few years ago, the QEII visited Fremantle for the last time. As she departed, and as is the custom for a ship visiting a port for the last time, she leaned on her horn for at least a couple of minutes. WOW!!!!! now that woke everyone up. The deep bass sounds reverberating through the town were absolutely amazing.
  7. Yacht News

You should hear "Queen Mary 2's" whistles then, they are amazing. On the yacht side of things, I've heard a few horns already and those compilations of small horns do get your attention especially from close! I assume most I heard were Kahlenbergs, those are really popular.
  8. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

Kahlenbergs and similar (Buell etc) not only sounds the best but also they look the best. S/S cant compare with the look of good quality chrome plating which. if looked after, will last for many years.
  9. q240z

q240z New Member

The twin Buells on my 1967 Chris Craft Connie were a $500 option when new. The horns have some minor pitting in the chrome, which isn't unexpected after 40+ years of service, but they still take a shine rather well. They also have a rather pleasantly authoritative note to them.
  10. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

We put a Kahlenberg set on, the modern model of which would be closest to the T-3A, and they held up quite well indeed for over 25 years of ownership.
  11. corinthian99

corinthian99 New Member

Had Kahlenbergs on loads of vessels. Only problem I ever had was that on one boat after 50 years the deckhands had polished them paperthin. 40 years isn't bad going though.
  12. Yacht News