Click for Oceanco
Click for MCC
Click for Ferretti
Click for Nordlund
Click for Elling
Click for Westport
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > GENERAL YACHTING DISCUSSION > Technical Discussion > New antifoul discovery - 100% effective AND green

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

New antifoul discovery - 100% effective AND green

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2009, 03:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

New antifoul discovery - 100% effective AND green

...courtesy of Sail World

A spectacular new study has shown there to be a natural fungus that, when added to hull paint, may completely solve the barnacle problem on the hulls of boats in the future.

The microscopic fungus called 'streptomyces avermitilis' lives in the ocean and is extremely poisonous to acorn barnacles and other crustaceans. When an extract from this fungus is added to paint for the hulls of vessels, the surface remains entirely free from barnacles. This has been recently demonstrated in a study from Göteborg University in Sweden.

'The fungus affects the nervous system of barnacles, and you only need a tiny amount of fungal extract to have an effect,' Hans Elwing, Professor at the Department of Cell and Molecular Biology at Göteborg University, announced yesterday.

Growths on the hulls of all vessels increase friction, which slows the vessel, requiring more wind power or a higher fuel consumption - which in turn causes more emissions.

At Göteborg University there have been several research projects conducted attempting to create environmentally friendly paints which prevent organisms from attaching to surfaces.

The discovery of how this microscopic fungus affects barnacles was made by a research team specializing in surface biophysics. As little as a 0.1 percent mixture of pure fungal extract in paint is sufficient to prevent any growth of acorn barnacles. Traditionally effective anti-foul paints have been problematic for the environment since the poison in the paint dissolves and spreads into the water.

Professor Hans Elwing - .. .
'A sensational finding is that the fungal extract is toxic only as long as the paint is on a painted surface. When the paint is dissolved in sea water, the activation of the poison appears not to take place, making the paint apparently harmless to organisms in the open sea,' says Hans Elwing.

The scientists are basing their work on a theory that the fungal extract makes the paint imitate the fungus's natural and environmentally friendly defense against being eaten. Hans Elwing also believes that many other organisms in the sea have developed this type of environmentally friendly protection.

'The discovery that this fungal extract counteracts the growth of barnacles will probably create quite a stir around the world. No naturally occurring substance has previously been shown to have such a dramatic effect on barnacles in combination with being so easily degradable in the environment and probably completely safe for humans,' says Hans Elwing.

Hans Elwing's research team has joined up with SP Technical Research Institute of Sweden in Borås and Stockholm to develop their ideas. It is hoped that innovations in nanotechnology will facilitate the creation of new anti-fouling paints for boats.
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
AMG
YF Moderator

It is interesting, but still a couple of years away I read somewhere.
AMG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Talking Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAR View Post
My ex-wife apparently washed her hair in a similar concoction . . .
LOL .
I just had to post this
Old 05-17-2009, 12:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi,

This doesn't contain any Biocides either.

http://www.specialchem4coatings.com/....aspx?id=11143
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Coconuts are non-fouling?

...from another forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSweet
I used to work at a fiberglass shop that kept a couple gallons of bottom paint on hand for small repairs. we sold the stuff by the ounce. About ten times a year someone would ask me "Why don't they make bottom paint out of coconuts, they can float around for years and nothing grows on them." I always figured I'd stumble across the answer; but I never have. Anyone have any info on this maritime legend?
Old 12-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Water Based Antifoul Paints

Since the fall of '07, this writer and her husband's boat has been part of a bottom paint study to test the efficacy of the biocide Econea, an eco-friendly product produced by Janssen Pharmaceutica and sold to different paint companies. Three paints were applied to the bottom of our Crealock 37 — one control paint containing 67% copper, one solvent-based test paint and one water-based test paint. After a year, the water-based paint, in our opinion as boat owners, was not only the best among the three, but the best paint we'd ever used. There was zero hard growth on all three — which made them equally 'successful' in the eye of study coordinator Jack Hickey, as that is the study's primary focus — but the water-based paint had very little slime or grass. The other two were mini-ecosystems unto their own

...photos and more of the article here:
http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/...yid=515#Story4
Old 12-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

There will be quite a few divers out of jobs if this is true. I can't wait. However, I am curious what affect it will have on the running gear.

I have tried prop speed with little success. I wonder if it will stick to the props.

Ken
missnmountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sani-Tred rubberized coating

Rubberised paint for steel decks is showing much promise as an antifouling substance:
http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boa...n-27399-6.html

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/met...tml#post442163
Attached Images
Old 05-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

Unhappy Steel Boat Application

Ran across this unhappy application

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
http://www.astrayspray.com/our-story...-we-have-left-
"We hadn't physically left! We had to re-sandblast the hull and recoat with conventional anti-fouling as the Sani-tred stuff just didnt want to stick!"

http://www.astrayspray.com/the-hull.php
"We used paint from USA, shipped here at great cost - more than the paint itself, but hopefully worth it. We have been told by the company that as long as we apply it to their specifications, they will guarantee the product for the life of the vessel. So we painted it on as specified. The first coat of grey Permaflex was applied in a little over a couple of hours and then when it was touch dry, about 3 hours later, the second coat was applied."

http://www.astrayspray.com/hull-maintenance.php
"OCTOBER 2010
At the end of this month, it will be Astray's 1st birthday from launching. In that time we have had to slip the boat twice because of problems with the paint on the bottom of the hull. Unfortunately the rubber product we bought at great cost from the USA, which was guaranteed to stick and required no anti-fouling, has failed. When we removed it the first time it had extensive growth on the hull and we assumed that it was because of our location, as we were in extremely warm water (up to 40 degrees C at times) which had softened the rubber and allowed the organisms to grow and water to seep between the rubber coating and the hull. We water blasted the hull and the paint peeled off in sheets in most places below the water line but on the keel, in patches, stuck incredibly. The steel underneath was pristine, as if we had just grit blasted it! We contacted the manufacturers and, according to their instructions and specifications, cleaned the hull and recoated. Regretfully after only a few months, it started peeling and did not bond with the previous coating as it should have. Slipped it again with the same result. We have been racking our brains to find a cause, let alone a solution but in the end decided to return to the 'tried and true' method of blasting, and coating. James and Dennis did a great job, it took James 2 days to get all the rubber off! In some places it stuck so well! It was then coated in two layers of primer, a tie coat and then 30 litres of antifoul paint. As you can see in the pictures below, we are now ready to go back into the water and hopefully will not need to slip her for at least another 2 years. Above the water line, no complaints!"

NOTE: I have written the Sani-Tred company an email and asked for an explaintion.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

I got an answer, and a pretty complete one at that. Here is what I ask of them:
Quote:
I'm interested in your product for both general reasons, and likely a specific application I may have in mind. I come from the boating industry, and I have entered in to several forum discussions referencing your product's application. In one instance today I discover a pretty negative experience someone had with your product in an application onto a steel hull vessel. ...posting #94

Can you explain what may have happened here??
Sani-Tred Technician's Reply
I was able to pull up the customer’s info. The web page/blog you referred me to had the name “Kerry & Claudia South Australia” on it so I searched for those names and cross referenced to that location (Australia).

We show one order for Kerry and that is all.

I was able to find the customer’s email address in our records so I searched our previous correspondence. I found several emails from this customer regarding their application and the source of their problem. They stated that they sand blasted the steel, deliberately let it sit for days to form a powdery rust film then began applying the PermaFlex over top of the powdery rust. THAT is precisely why they had delamination issues over the majority of the hull. Sani-Tred products come with application instructions and the customer deliberately chose to NOT follow them. The customer even specifically asked us about the sand blasting and we sent them a step-by-step tutorial. What they did was follow some other written specification from another company that recommends applying over top of a powdery rust film. Our customer did NOT contact us to ask if this is recommended or what would happen if they prepared their substrate in the manor that they chose (which contradicts with the tutorial and application instructions we supplied.

When we explained to the customer what they did wrong and why they are experiencing this delamination they became very upset. They became bitter, slanderous and their blog is in no way accurate.

Based on what their own blog states, and I quote, “We contacted the manufacturers and, according to their instructions and specifications, cleaned the hull and recoated”. They used the words “manufacturers” meaning plural. They were still in contact with the other company that supplied them with the information regarding the method of preparation that caused their problem to begin with (not us)! We can only assume that this other company supplied them with info regarding HOW to reapply. We have absolutely NO correspondence with our customer regarding any ‘reapplication’. Keep in mind that they only placed ONE order and that order was NOT for twice the amount that they originally needed. In their blog they claim that their ‘reapplication’ delaminated as well. We have never received a single complaint, photo, email, letter or any contact regarding a reapplication.

Just for fun I’ll assume that a ‘reapplication’ was performed. Where did they purchase the materials? What materials did they use? How was the reapplication performed? How did they prepare the substrate for the reapplication? I have a theory about that … and keep in mind that this is just a theory based on what I see in their photos. I bet that they sprayed the PermaFlex on the hull for their original application. Notice how the boat was masked in the photos in the blog. They used sheet plastic and it appears to have been sprayed. I do not see any brush or roller marks, I just see overspray

Name:  image005.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  18.2 KB

Name:  image002.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  40.3 KB

Name:  image003.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  44.7 KB

If they sprayed the PermaFlex, it is highly likely that they sprayed ‘airless’. We spray ‘air assist’ and have abandoned spraying airless many years ago. When spraying PermaFlex using most common airless units it is typically necessary to thin the PermaFlex to a very low viscosity or you cannot obtain a spray pattern. When any material is of very low viscosity that material WILL lack vertical cling. In other words the material will be very runny and lose its ability to be applied at the proper rate to a vertical or inverted surface in a single application. Additional coats MUST be applied in order to compensate for the lack of vertical cling. If this is in fact the case then this is another mistake they made during the application and by spraying PermaFlex in this manor it would stand to reason that they would have lots of PermaFlex leftover (by being applied way too thin and not at the proper rate/thickness) in order to have enough material on hand for a reapplication. If they reapplied by spraying it in the same manner as the first time then this could very well explain the problem they had with their alleged ‘reapplication’.

If a customer does not call and ask questions before the application and assumes something other than what the application instructions state to do will work, we cannot assume responsibility for what he does and how the application turns out.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Polyurea Coatings

This video might help explain the spraying technics mentioned above. You can certainly see the 'thickness quality' of the material being sprayed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbnwwC8AH0M

...or this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njsZW81_Aec
Old 07-17-2011, 11:38 AM   #12 (permalink)

Medetomidine anti-foulant

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HT...ews/news/2045/
medetomidine causes barnacles to get hyperactive and they dont attach to the surface.

http://www.marinepaint.se/program/ma...000103062.html
so far they say it is working.

In marine paint
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medetomidine
Medetomidine can be used as an antifouling substance in marine paint. It is mainly effective against barnacles, but has also shown effect on other hard fouling like tubeworms. When the barnacle cyprid larva encounters a surface containing medetomidine the molecule enters the octopamine receptor in the larva. This makes the larva legs start kicking and it cannot settle to the painted surface. When the larva swims away from the surface, the effect disappears (reversible effect).The larva regain its function and can settle somewhere else.

so far looking positive
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0816095822.htm
The substance medetomidine has proved effective in preventing fouling of ship bottoms. Researchers at the University of Gothenburg have now identified the gene that causes the barnacle to react to the substance, opening up the possibility of an antifouling paint that is gentle both on barnacles and on the environment.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...w=1333&bih=884
Old 07-17-2011, 04:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
m2m

Beware of these rubberized paints. Years ago when i was just knee high to a caterpillar I worked in a yard that got a contract to remove a rubberized paint from the bottom of 2 Navy Minesweepers. It took 20 guys 3 weeks working around the clock with hand planers to remove this product. The wood underneath was an absolute mess, good $$$ for the yard but a nightmare none the less. The point I am trying to make is that if there is any water intrusion with any of these coatings it's going to be contained between the hull surface and the the paint. Another boat I worked on had very thin copper plates glued to the hull of a McGregor 65 sailboat which had the same results.
m2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2m
Beware of these rubberized paints. Years ago...

The point I am trying to make is that if there is any water intrusion with any of these coatings it's going to be contained between the hull surface and the the paint.
I understand where you are coming from....but I believe there has been a significant improvement in the bonding of these polyurethanes in the past couple of years.

You might also reference the poor adhesion that the gentleman experienced with the sani-tred product likely due to improper spraying application. Pwerhaps those Navy boats were done similar?
Old 07-17-2011, 09:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
m2m

Granted there have been some very significsnt improvements but most of the jobs done are done in the field not in a controlled enviroment. Out in ther field it's about getting the job done not ideal conditions.
m2m is offline   Reply With Quote