Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn

Prop Tuning

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by CSkipR, Apr 6, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

I'm thinking about having my props tuned to see if it will lessen some slight vibration and maybe improve boat speed and fuel efficiency. Can someone comment about their experience having this done and what you normally can expect. Props are 28x40.
    thanks
  2. tvanhall

tvanhall New Member

You will need to supply your current WOT RPMs vs engine manufacturer specs, water line length and beam, etc to the prop shop. They can then calculate what needs to be done. If you are already at the specs, they can still tune them and eliminate any vibrations etc. My experience was very favorable...picked up needed RPM, speed and fuel efficiency. I found it well worth the money.
    Good luck.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree with the other poster, it usually works out well. I've done it and picked up 1.5-3 knots with several boats. But also it eliminated all vibrations. Usually if you're short RPM's, if they take pitch out, 1" less of pitch equals 50 rpms on a diesel inboard boat. Keep in mind that taking out pitch will usually result in less speed at the same RPM, in my experiences you lose about 1 knot per 1" of pitch you take out, but you'll gain rpm at full throttle.
  4. corinthian99

corinthian99 New Member

Depending on the age of the boat, waters cruised in and if the vibration is new you might want to check the shaft bearings & alignment. Incidentally prop speed is often a good investment, we've saved 10 USG per hour with it.
  5. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Boat is a 2005 and our cruising is in Fl and the Bahamas. Shaft and bearings are good and I have prop speed on all running gear. Slight vibration nothing major maybe out of balance or something else. Thanks for your input.
  6. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Check out Treasure Coast Propellers in Stuart.
  7. Deco

Deco New Member

Prop speed?

What is prop speed, as it it mentioned in the above posts? Seems this is not a tack for your shaft...

Tks.
  8. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Prop speed is like a very slick bottom paint that you apply on your running gear that keep barnacles, etc from sticking to them. It can also improve speed and fuel burn although that is very minimal. Great product although expensive.