Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Cross Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking

800 Man's engines

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by lhnewman, Mar 3, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. lhnewman

lhnewman New Member

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a 43 Cabo Convertible. Most of the older models 2002-2004 have the 800 Man 2848 engines. The newer models 2004 and up have the 900hp Common Rail engines. The consensus from those I've talked to (including my broker) seem to say the CR 900 are quieter, smoke less, and are more efficient. I may not be able to afford the newer models and may have to go with the 800's. Can anyone give me some feedback on these engines as to: efficiency, reliability, smoke, vibration, and general maintenance. And do these engines drop some cylinders at trolling speed and cause noticeable vibration?

I have heard docktalk that refer to these engines as "Man-grenades" Is there truth to this? why?

Thanks in advance for any follow-ups

Larry "The End of the Line" 37' Tiara Stuart,Fl
  2. DLRCapeCod

DLRCapeCod New Member

MAN 800's

Hi Larry

We are the Cabo dealer in Massachusetts. We have had excellent luck with the 800's in both the Cabo's and the Viking's we sell. The 800's do drop cylinders at idle and being a mechanical engine they will smoke, especially when coming up on plane. I have had some success reducing the smoke on the 1050 MAN's by changing the injectors. If the boat has trolling valves you should not notice any shake when trolling. The common rail engines effectively eliminate all of these issues.

Maintenance

Oil & filter change at 250 hours or once a year.
    400 hour check by MAN Service
    1000 hour check by MAN Service

I believe the term MAN-grenades came from issues with the early MAN 600. As I said earlier in the post the 800's have been excellent.

If you have any other questions I would be glad to help.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have run the 43' Cabo with all types of power it was offered with. I can understand not being able to afford a newer model. The 800s do smoke a little at trolling speed due to the dropped cylinders, and smell badly at trolling speeds, they also smoke a bit climing onto plane. Are usually good motors overall. The Man 900's are faster, quiter, more fuel efficient, don't smoke. I did 6 or 7 days of Seatrials with a 43' Cabo and the first set of common rails 900 in the Cabo (2nd set in the US at the time) with Man of North America and twin disc on board. Needless to say I prefer the C series CATS that were installed in some boats the years you are looking at. They have more low end torque, are cheaper to maintain, don't smoke or smell at trolling speeds, and fit the boat well. Most of the Cabo's were shipped with MAN's I think it was 02 and some of '03 and then there was a huge shift back to CATs in most boats around '03 and then '04 '05 '06saw primarily CATS Me personally, I would go to a CAT powered one and never look back....... Another option is a newer 40' FB which offers almost the same amount of interior room inside as the 43' and handles much better.
  4. lhnewman

lhnewman New Member

43 Cabo w/ Mans

Capt J

Thanks for that info. There is a 43 with the C-12's available with similar hours. Would you still take the C-12's over the 900 CR And why?

The 40 Cabo is a little to small for what I need. A little cramped on the interior and cockpit with a cair a little tight. Could you tell me how it handles better. Wouldn't the 43 be better in a headsea?

Larry
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The 43' is one of Cabo's oldest hulls still in the lineup, and well, technology has changed and so has the hull designer starting with the 40' and newer models. The 40' was the first hull Cabo tank tested prior to building a mold and is also designed by Michael Peters. You can take the 40' at 31 knots and turn the wheel hard over and it just turns, it has a nice ride and is dry. The 43' is a good riding hull also, but doesn't compare IMO.

The C12's have a lot of torque, burn completely clean even after trolling all day, have a great reputatution for durability, maintanence is cheaper then the man's, the CAT controls have a lot more features, greater parts and service network worldwide, again parts and maintanence are cheaper,

The MAN's are a little more fuel efficient, can be a little quieter at cruise, but personally I've run all engine combo's in the 43' and prefer cats.
  6. lhnewman

lhnewman New Member

43 cabo w/ mans

Thanks Capt J. You are the first person who has run all these engines that I have found. I really appreciate your imput. I currently have a 37ft Tiara w/ tower with the 3208 Cats w/ 2300 hours. No engine problems, just usual maintenance. The Man maintenance $$ and parts $$ does scare me a little.

I love the layout of the boat. Do you know any other pros or cons with the boat itself that would be helpful. I really like the forward VIP room for my fshing buddies and mid-ship master. And the extra room in the salon and cockpit are nice in the 43. Having said that I might take another look at the 40...but there are not many available. Ron Hamlin's boat, currently in Jupiter is for sale, but with 1800 hours.

Thanks again

Larry