Click for Cross Click for Northern Lights Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service

Submerged F/G - repairable?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by priel, Feb 16, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. priel

priel New Member

Hi all,

This is my first post to this forum. I have not yet become a boat owner, but the time is closing in fast. I've been looking for a renovation object, something that will keep me busy for a few years forward, and I came across this very badly kept Silverton 362 from 1995. It's basically been laid up for a couple of years in the sun, with no protection whatsoever. What's worse is that rain has seeped into the boat and filled up a rather large part of the bottom hull, just below the floor planks. This has been going on for quite awhile... the "caretaker" told me that he usually empties it out after a heavy rain.. but since the water was still there when I came to look at it, I doubt this ever got done. Good intentions that never got done I figure...

My question to all you experts in the know... is a hull that has had this kind of damage worth resurrecting? As far as I know, this particular Silverton have a solid fiberglass/composite hull... not cored. Has water seeped into the fiberglass and caused structural damage? Perhaps the wood has been damaged inside too?

I'm trying to get hold of a surveyor to go check it out, but wanted to hear any feedback from the forum first... perhaps someone been in the same situation and gone through a major hull repair as might be necessary here. I'm prepared to redo the gelcoat and repaint... but if there is major structural damage I'm in over my head.

I understand that pictures can only say so much... but any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Thank you in advance,

Peter.

Ps. The two crusader engines were taken out of the boat and kept in a storage area.

Attached Files:

2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Before you hire anyone use sweat and do the cheap stuff. 1) empty and dry the boat. (The drying may take a while. 2) Once dried start tapping with a knuckle. Listen for that thud that indicates rot. 3) check it with a moisture meter.
    That said, I think this boat has probably been abandoned for good reason. It will certainly cost way more than what it's worth to restore.
  3. brunick

brunick Senior Member

i can't believe they didn't dried the boat yet...that would be my first task after taking that one out of the water...

turn it around and dry it, then try to have a look at the structure, if thats in good condition - what i wouldn't believe - may have a try at restore it, but with that mold - naa wouldn't be worth the sweat
  4. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

Just looking at the obvious damage, I would suggest running away from this one, as these things tend to hide the majority of the real problems.
    A lot of the time, spending bigger money on a turn-key boat is far less expensive than rebuilding junk.
    But then again, if the price is right (really really cheap or free) and you have too much time on your hands and always wanted to be a shipwright or are a glutton for punishment, then go for it.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

the only concern from a structural point of view are the stringers. Some builders used wood stringers and didnt' do a good job sealing the wood. Water gets in (even if it's not a sinker like that POS), wood rots and the stringers are done.

but even if the stringers (and bulkhead if they used wood) are good, fixing this boat is going to require a ton of work and parts. Even if the engines have been properly stored, you still have do deal with wiring, generator, pumps, air cons, fridge, etc... which are all likely to be toast. what about the fuel tanks?

as to the engines, why were they removed? you dont pull inboards when storing... and even if they were un damaged, how where tehry stored.

yikes, even free rebuilding this boat may coast more than one that's in good shae...
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

First understand that the difference between a "Turn-key" boat and what you've got there is: "What was I thinking? This thing is going to take every spare moment and dollar I have" as opposed to "OMG! Was I completely out of my freekin mind? I think my family left a year ago, but I was too busy working on this thing and holding down 2 jobs to pay for these repairs to notice. Did I eat this week?"
    It's a 15 year old Silverton. Not exactly a classic.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

now, something that may weigh in favor of this "boat" is the fact that the poster is from Malaysia. I dont' know how much duties they have to pay on boats down there but if the duties are high, a complete rebuilt may be an option... who knows what the local market is...
  8. priel

priel New Member

Thank you all for your feedback, I appreciate it. I've decided to pass on this boat, even though my hands are itchy to restore it. With what I've read here, it is most likely that there is rot in the wood and the hull requires major work. I feel comfortable with fixing some glass cracks and applying a new gelcoat... but to replace stringers in a boat as big as this... that's too much of a risk with my skills. If I would ever get that job done, I'd freak every time I hit a wave in panic whether my structural work was properly done. Furthermore the electrical systems are done for, and would require complete rewiring, as well as every major and minor system in the boat. I couldn't see the conditions of the tanks, but I would take a gander that they are in the same sorry state as the rest of the ship.
    The engines were taken out when the boat was laid up. As far as I understand it, one of them had a sized piston. My thinking at the time, when the adrenaline was clouding my judgement, was that I would re-power the boat with two truck diesels. It's fairly inexpensive to do that out here in Malaysia. Manual labour is also cheap, which was one of the main factors that made me start thinking of doing a major renovation like this.

Anyway, the search goes on I guess!

Thanks again,

Peter.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Wow! :eek: In case you ever get that idea again think "marinized". Good luck to ya.
  10. priel

priel New Member

hehe, yeah they are converted / marinized by professionals :D
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

well, as you said labor is cheap where you are so if you can get it for real cheap, it could be a good deal. depends on how skilled labor is down there...

here in the US, there is no way to fix this boat... As mentioned, the hull itself isnt' the issue. As to the stringers, it depends how they are built. If there is no wood inside, or if they are sealed properly, then no problem.

Gelcoat work is not easy... but it probalby doens't need new gelcoat. you'd be surprised what a good buffing can do. IF that's not enough, then Awlgrip is the best option... it's all about prep, so again, with cheap labor it can work out.

Regardless of your decision, out of curiosity, how is the used boat market over there? duties on boats being imported?
  12. priel

priel New Member

Yeah I'm tempted alright, but worried about what has gone on with the fiberglass while being under water for so long... even if it's rain water... rot must have started happening... and to fix structural damage is too scary for me. On the other hand, I don't know how Silverton built this hull, so perhaps I worry about things that aren't really a problem. I've been searching for schematics / blueprints or more detailed information but it's hard to find anything more indepth than that the hull is a a fiberglass composite...
    The other big thing is spare parts out here in Malaysia. I doubt getting replacement tanks, instruments, wire harness (maybe this could be custum built tho). To purchase all these things which needs replacing would drive the cost up... and as NYCAP123 mentioned earlier, in the end it might not even be worth it.
    As for the market out here... well I'd hardly call myself an expert.. but during my search for a good object to renovate, I've been surprised at how expensive boats are here, at least compared to the US (this page lists a few: http://my.apolloduck.com/).
    As far as I understand, the government recently droppped the import duty on boats in a move to compete with Thailand (don't quote me on this, I could be misinformed!). Still, a new or new'ish 35" or bigger boat is not an option for me due to budget... besides, my main goal is to have a new weekend project. :p

Peter.
  13. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

That one looks like a whole lot of weekends. :eek: