Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning

Is the 454 dead? New from VW and sexy.

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Fishtigua, Feb 3, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Volkswagen has marinised the diesel V8 found in the Q7 and A8 Audis on a Bravo 3 drive. Power to weight and Torque from a 4.200cc motor @ 350hp is great and half the fuel consumption of a gas engine.

Has anyone tried one yet? I cannot wait and no I don't sell them, I do the green Swedish ones, the yellow ones and the blue French ones from Japan.

http://www.vw-m.de/index.php?L:1

Still have not learned how to do a link so just go to VW Marine and check out the 350 V8

Fish
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Link fixed! :)
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I don't think the gas engines are dead. They still are quite a bit cheaper then a comparable diesel. Volvo parts as well as Audi and Volkswagon are considerably more expensive part for part then say a mercruiser V8 part. I think diesels have become more common place where gas inboards used to be, but there are still a lot of gas inboards being put into boats. Outboards have come a long way with the new 4 strokes and they have become more commonplace on a boat that would've come with gas inboards ten years ago also. But Inboard/outboard boats, there aren't too many of them being made or around IMO. So will this combo totally dismiss gas imboards I don't think so. You can buy a lot of gas probably for the price of this diesel.

I personally dislike gas inboards. There are soooo many components to create a problem on them. Every boat that I manage with gas inboards is always a problem child compared to a diesel one. If it's not overheating......it's not firing on one of the cylinders, if it's not that it's missing coolant somewhere.....etc. etc..... it always seems to be something......
  4. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Here in Europe things are a little different. Over 50% of all new cars are diesel. Small common-rail diesels with variable turbo technology are everywhere. They are so much quieter and smoother than the old ones, even the EPA like them better.

Small boats here in the 25' to 42' range all seem to be on outdrives rather than shafts. 'Green' engines rather than the 'Black' ones are fitted due to the level of taxation on fuel. One of our engineers this summer was spending $1500 a month on fuel just weekending with his kids while running a pair of 5.0 V8s, they will be comeing out shortly.
  5. Ju52

Ju52 Senior Member

6. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Just looking at the difference in the efficiency of the diesel engine, versus its 454 gas cousin, it's a pretty compelling argument in TCO over the long haul.

All things being considered, the cost of manufacturing in raw materials of the engine itself is relatively equal, however supply, demand, market production and popularity seem to be defining the difference in cost.

Outside of that, the cost of fuel, and the savings alone based on the 50% numbers they quote are impressive.
  7. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Market penetration, supply and demand will arrive, just ask your Bank Manager next time you apply for your boat/repower loan.

Yes, there are thousands of GM, Chysler and Ford blocks and parts on the market. In the 60's/70's there were thousands of parts for CJ5 and CJ7 Jeeps available cheaply. How many did you buy? Then in the 80's Jeep just crushed them all for scrap to make us buy Renegades.

Are the Big Three feeling generous at the moment? Don't bet on it. I know there is a big aftermarket for parts but do you really want to run old points ignition in a computer age? Push rods to double overhead variable cam technology?

On a brand new straight four 3ltr gas engine the EPA had strangled the carbaration so far the motor would not start. Period. The manufacturer told us to put the old carbs back on and throw the new ones away.

Small, light diesels are the future, remember Audi has won the 24hours of Le Mans with diesel for the last 3 years.

Fish
  8. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

I hope it arrives sooner than later!
  9. Starrider

Starrider New Member

Yeah, that 4.2lt oil burner from Audi sure is a gem of a motor, and like Fishtigua said, their Le Mans achievements bears testimony to the fact that these guys are masters in diesel technology. Lets see how this marinized version holds out. Should be interesting.
  10. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"Is the 454 dead?"

The 454 might be geriatric but if you consider the fact that a "new" 330 hp version goes for around $5500 and the VW 265 is over $40,000, the price difference will buy one heck of a lot of fuel.
  11. Starrider

Starrider New Member

Yep, that is a lot fuel there.