Click for McKinna
Click for Pacific Mariner
Click for Oceanco
Click for JetForums
Click for McConaghy
Click for Walker
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > GENERAL YACHTING DISCUSSION > Technical Discussion > Water Jets; efficiency?

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

Reply

Water Jets; efficiency?

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009, 11:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: gig harbor washington usa
Posts: 10
Water Jets; efficiency?

I've always been curious about jet drives in yachts. the pro's and cons. I've seen them on small boats like Hinkley or large yachts like braveheart,(i believe). how do they compare for maneuvering,fuel cost,mainteneance,etc.I live in the pacific northwest,usa, and there is a lot of crud in the water. seems like it would pay not to have propellers hanging down to hit it.
just curious.

cliff
cliffandjudiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sausalito, CA
Posts: 169
I had looked at a couple of boats in the 80'+ range with jet drives. Very manouverable at both low and high speed. Less vibration than with regular props. The biggest problem is that they are about 25-30% less fuel efficient. Second, they need to be run regularly, since growth can build up in the intakes. This is more of a problem in warmer climates. I have also heard that they aren't as effective as props in rough water but that might be an opinion.
goplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,391
Jets are probably attractive in the PNW because of all the dead heads you have up there... they can still damage the hull but wont' rip a shaft or rudders.

Tehy are also forgiving... I was talking to a guy a few weeks ago in an marina where you normally don't want to come in at night. I asked him how it went, he confessed that he came in by powering the boat over a sandbar having missed the main channel... He clearly woudl have been in deep doodoo with props or pods but I wonder what that did to the impellers!
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 6,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffandjudiw
I've always been curious about jet drives in yachts. the pro's and cons. I've seen them on small boats like Hinkley or large yachts like braveheart,(i believe). how do they compare for maneuvering,fuel cost,mainteneance,etc.I live in the pacific northwest,usa, and there is a lot of crud in the water. seems like it would pay not to have propellers hanging down to hit it.
just curious.

cliff
They are less fuel efficient then propellors. They are better when it comes to hitting things such as logs, however you can still damage them pretty heavily if you run aground and suck a lot of sand/smaller rocks etc through the impellors. It is also possible to such debris into the impellor like ropes and so forth.
I have only run smaller boats with jets and am not super familiar with larger yachts with them. I'd prefer propellors myself.
Capt J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 50
I have designed and helped to build a large number of waterjet vessels; yachts, commercial and military. Jets have their place and for high-speed vessels can be equal to or even better than fixed-pitch props in terms of propulsive efficiency. Their advantages for low-speed maneuvering and low vibration (again, more so in high-speed applications) have been noted already above.

In the range of speeds for which most yachts are designed to operated, most particularly, their maximum-range cruising speeds, the good ole fixed-pitch propellor can be a great deal more efficient than a waterjet propulsor.
BMcF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Publisher/Admin
 
YachtForums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Florida
Posts: 18,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMcF
I have designed and helped to build a large number of waterjet vessels; yachts, commercial and military. Jets have their place and for high-speed vessels can be equal to or even better than fixed-pitch props in terms of propulsive efficiency. Their advantages for low-speed maneuvering and low vibration (again, more so in high-speed applications) have been noted already above.

In the range of speeds for which most yachts are designed to operated, most particularly, their maximum-range cruising speeds, the good ole fixed-pitch propellor can be a great deal more efficient than a waterjet propulsor.
Which is exactly what I tried to convey to Capt. J when he originally joined YF... Jet vs. Prop
YachtForums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by YachtForums
Which is exactly what I tried to convey to Capt. J when he originally joined YF... Jet vs. Prop
And you stated it much better than I...
BMcF is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are EST. The time now is 03:23 AM.

Click for Westport
Click for Elling
Click for Nordhavn
Click for Ocean Alexander
Click for Delta
Click for Llebroc


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2