Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay

fuel consumption

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by libertyac, Jan 5, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. libertyac

libertyac New Member

I have just taken over a 106 Broward with Twin 3412's.Can anyone help with fuel consumption?
    All I have is a recorded 58GPH @ 12Kt for both Mains and 1 J-D genset.
    The owner is planning a voyage from the Bahamas to Mexico(W Coast) and we differ on fuel consumption figures.
    Also does anyone have experience of this type of vessel's handling without stabilizers?With her length and 22'Beam, 5'9 Draft, my feeling is it would be an uncomfortable ride.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Browards are generally pretty stable in comparison to others I have run in that size since they have a relatively flat bottom aft. Don't quote me on this, but if I remember correctly 3412's burn 90gph (pair) at 1950rpms. I have done the trip several times from Key West to Cancun. I would stop off in Key West and top off, since it's really not far out of the way from the Bahamas. Plus you'll have an accurate fuel consumption amount if you run at a constant rpm and know what you have on board when you leave the Bahamas. I would also plan on running 800 or 1000 rpm's most of the trip to conserve fuel, you'll definately have plenty of range and fuel left over afterwards if you stay at 1,000 rpms or below. The 98' Broward I ran held 4,000 gallons and the 103' held I think 4500 gallons, both of those had 12v92's in them.
  3. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

I run a stretched 98' Broward with 3412s. And at 1550 rpm running at around 12 knots with one genset running we burn about 55 gal. an hour. It's one of the 19' 6" models so while they do have a flat bottom, they are a bit tall for their width in that beam and length at least IMHO. Then you add jetskis and a tender up top and you need stablizers. A 22' beam model may be better. But either way I would not want to make that run without them unless you can pick, and get, your weather. And keep your tanks topped off. :)
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

The older Broward's are round bilge hulls. A beam sea is quite a ride. Stabilizers hardly compensate.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah like the wooden Browards and earlier aluminum ones.

Except he has a new style hull being 106foot long with a 22' beam with 3412's, so the answer to his question is that they have a relatively flat bottom aft and are pretty stable in general from what I've found. I sat outside in a 98' drifting during the air and sea show with 6'ers on the beam at times and you never even had to worry about a solo cup tipping over.
  6. Capt Bill11

Wow! 6'ers on the beam while drifting with no spillage?

Wish I could say that about the 98' Broward I'm on with a 19' 6" beam.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

This was the only Broward I've ever run that DIDN'T have an extension on her. I ran a 103' that was extended 3 times. LOLOL
  8. libertyac

libertyac New Member

The only experience I've had with this beast is under tow when we took 4-6 on the beam and she rolled like crazy.Perhaps under her own power she will behave differently. The stabilizers were also not pinned so may have contributed.What concerns me is the height.If I knew how to post pics on this site you would see what I mean
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Wouldn't mind seeing them. On the reply pane click the paper clip, then browse your pictures and download.
  10. libertyac

libertyac New Member

I hope the attachment made it. Am using a new zip programme

Attached Files:

11. Capt Bill11

Yeah, I remember that boat. Get those stabilizers working. Now! :D
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

ummmmm yeah, that one is gonna roll with that heavy crow's nest up there. The ones I ran were a regular MY with only a bimini top and mast head. Try keeping more weight in the stern and draining the bow tank first and see how she rides. She does still have a flat stern and if you ride more on the stern it may help quite a bit, although it may slow you down a hair at displacement speeds.
  13. libertyac

libertyac New Member

That was the way I was thinking as well-transferring more fuel aft. Problem is that in sitting for more than 3 yrs I am worired about the eco system which may be lurking in there. I had the fwd Tanks cleaned but Broward ommitted any kind of access to the tanks, making them next to impossible to inspect and clean
    My big problem at the moment is the Kobelt Steering which works at the dock but goes out as soon as the boat is under way. Being in Freeport doesn't make that an easy fix.I have already invested a lot in having circuit boards rebuilt and flying a tech out but there still seems to be some sort of Gremlin in here. Maybe I should have spent the money on an Excorcist.
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Why not just bring her over to Lauderdale for the repairs, then start the trip from there?
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I second this, running the vessel to Fort Lauderdale and having things serviced would be a great idea.

Use a product called "Diesel Kleen" it comes in a grey bottle and works WONDERS eating the algae. Also pick up plenty of fuel filters.
  16. libertyac

libertyac New Member

Going to Lauderdale is on my agenda but the owner wants to head straight out. I have 2 cases of filters on board and double Racors so can cope with the fuel problems but would prefer to have steering. Diodes for the solenoids should arrive today so we may be able to move tomorrow.
    Main items needing attention are the NAIADS ,Bow Thruster and Fuel monitoring system so Lauderdale would be bestThanks for the support.
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Ah, but does he want to make it to his destination?
    Plus the steering, plus the fuel.....Steering with the tabs can get real old when the seas kick up and coming in to dock and losing a motor to fuel while having your thruster not respond would certainly be ugly. You may need to have a facts of life discussion with the owner. Good luck.