Click for Furuno Click for Northern Lights Click for Perko Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn

Wax on teak?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by tess, Nov 24, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. tess

tess New Member

I just have a question i hope someone can help me. I had a problem where the owner loved to have candles, but unfortunately also loved to get drunk and knock them over. most of the time the stews were quick enough and no wax got on the deck, but after one big party i was left with a massive wax stain right on the main deck. I scraped off as much wax as i could, and then got some paper toweling and ironed the toweling onto the deck, but although that got rid of most of it, the stain was still there. No one else on board had any ideas of how to get it off. Please let me know of any solutions you might have so i will know for next time!

Thanks
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Try an ice cube to harden it, then use a stiff toothbrush.
  3. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Along the right lines, hotel supply stores sell a spray that freezes allsorts like gum and wax. A fine bronze suade-shoe brush may also help. If all else fails give good old K2R drycleaning spray a go.

Fish
  4. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

I used a fabric drycleaning spray and it worked well. Sprayed, let it dry and then brushed it with a coarse plastic brush.....re-did the process and the stain was gone.
  5. Deckie123

Deckie123 New Member

Oil On teak?

I was oiling our capping rail on my last boat and dropped the brush (I know.. Rookie) we had drop sheets down but a thin peice of material normally isnt enough.. I went and told the captain straight away.. Whats the best way to get it out?

Using acid makes on spot on the deck Really nice and that stands out too much.. Any other advice?
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

What did you drop it on (teak, gellcoat, paint...)?
  7. Deckie123

Deckie123 New Member

The teak deck
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Start by floating it off. Dam the area and keep it wet. As the oil float out suck it in with an oil pad. For any residual use a mild teak cleaner like Starbrite's.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Use K2R carpet cleaning spray/powder. BOW sells it.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Never heard of that. I'll put it in my book. Do you recommend it just for oil on teak or what other types of stains?
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It works well on oil type stains, potatoe chip droppings, oil, etc. etc. it will remove gum like stuff too sometimes. You just spray it on and it dries to a white powder and you brush it off and the stain is gone. Someone else mentioned it in this thread up a few posts. It's in a white smaller can with blue writing. It doesn't effect the color of the teak at all. It may be a drycleaning spray as mentioned above, I don't remember exactly what the can says...except the name of the product is k2r, it works well on carpet also.
  12. Talon

Talon Senior Member

You can also use a small steam generator (Kitchen, bathroom cleaner type).
    The steam opens the pore of the wood and basically emulsifies the wax to droplets, all ready to mop up and leaves no marks.

This also good for lifting tired staining on the boards, use a wide head with a towel on the bottom so it will lift all the rubbish off, leaving it ready for a new coat.
  13. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

I'm not 100% sure but I think K2R was outlawed in the states. I used it for along time but cannot find it anymore. Thats what I was told.
  14. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,
    Don't panic it will fade in a relatively short time- look how long the things you Oil and want to last actually last.
  15. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

I once had to cover an entire teak chair in beeswax because the owner didn't want to use any solvents that might hurt the environment. Presumably they did not realize the impact of teak lumber harvesting.
  16. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

We still buy it through several sources.
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Google. Many sources.