Click for Cape Scott
Click for Nordhavn
Click for Horizon
Click for Christensen
Click for Nordlund
Click for Llebroc
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > GENERAL YACHTING DISCUSSION > Technical Discussion > 2 Diesel Questions - What Happen To..?

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

Reply

2 Diesel Questions - What Happen To..?

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2008, 07:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
senior member
 
lwrandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 293
2 Diesel Questions - What Happen To..?

Question 1

Did MTU take over Detroit Diesel and are the previous DD engines still around, Series 60 and Series 2000? Not sure if the Series 2000 was DD. If they are still around are their maintenance cost in line with Domestic manufactures or foreign manufactures?

Question 2

What happened to Cats C-18 Acert 1015hp engine?
lwrandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
strat57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwrandall
Question 1

Did MTU take over Detroit Diesel and are the previous DD engines still around, Series 60 and Series 2000? Not sure if the Series 2000 was DD. If they are still around are their maintenance cost in line with Domestic manufactures or foreign manufactures?

Question 2

What happened to Cats C-18 Acert 1015hp engine?
#1 DD still has a web site and it appears they are manufacturing MTU/DD at the Redford facility. Try Googling "MTU Detroit Diesel"

http://www.detroitdiesel.com/Public/...res/6SA251.pdf
http://www.detroitdiesel.com/Off-Hig.../en/index.aspx
http://www.mtu-online.com/mtu/en/produ/proddies/#c3983

#2 Must still be available.... it's listed on their web site even though it's punctuated with an asterisk noting to contact the dealer for availability. Hopefully someone else here will be able to confirm it's availability. Otherwise just call your local CAT marine supplier.

Here's a link to the CAT site.... http://marine.cat.com/cda/layout?f=200496&m=214803&x=7

Amazing what a little Google can do for ya....
strat57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
K1W1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: My Office
Posts: 6,304
Hi,

In the Sept 08 Marine Engine Selection Guide the asterisk next to this engine indicates that you need to check for LOCAL availability.

They are very much still available as far as I am aware.

I have recently seen an article where a Series 60 was stripped at some sort of technical show/presentation after 1,000,000 miles and everything was checked, most of it could be used again.

I seem to recall that a trucking co out of Alabama maybe JB Hunt were used as a test bench for the first of those engines and they were stripped at around the same mileage with similar results.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 206
The C-18 is rated at 1015hp. The C-18 Acert is a new addition to the line producing 1150hp I think. K1W1, let me know if I am correct.
Jorge Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
m2m
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: newport ri
Posts: 108
I purchased a pair of C-18's about 8 months ago. Took a while to get them as they are made to order
m2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
K1W1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: My Office
Posts: 6,304
Hi,

Jorge you are right, I have scanned the C 18 Pages for propulsion engines out of the Selection Guide I have here at home and they are in the attachment.

C 18's are like a lot of the CAT Range- demand has been exceeding supply. If you want a pair of 3516's be prepared to wait more than a year if you are lucky.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf C 18 Selection Guide Pages.pdf (80.4 KB, 96 views)
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 5,732
1. MTU bought out Detroit Diesel from Roger Penske. MTU stopped producing all of the DD engines and kept the DDEC system (detroit diesel engine control). The DDEC design and the DD dealer network was the only reason they bought Detroit Diesel. MTU now uses all of their own engines (engine designs) and mates the DDEC system to them to get the 12v2000's 16v2000's etc.

They are still making the Series 60, however it will no longer be available from 2010 on as it does not meet the new emissions standards and MTU doesn't want to spend the money and research to get it there. The series 60's are good motors for both torque and longevity.

DD/MTU actually pulled some of the test engines apart at 500k miles. I spoke to the mechanic that dyno'ed it and pulled it apart, the engine made more power with 500k miles on it then when it was new, had no wear inside, and when they installed new rebuild parts (rings, bearings, wear parts etc.) it made less HP on the dyno. He has seen some go well over 1million miles.

2. CAT still produces C18's (1015hp version) and they are installed in many new boats. CAT's first priority is supplying manufacturer's with them and contracts, then selling engine's to the average Joe comes second.
Capt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
FISHTIGUA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Guernsey/Antigua
Posts: 2,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1
Hi,

Jorge you are right, I have scanned the C 18 Pages for propulsion engines out of the Selection Guide I have here at home and they are in the attachment.

C 18's are like a lot of the CAT Range- demand has been exceeding supply. If you want a pair of 3516's be prepared to wait more than a year if you are lucky.
Just today we have done a first big service on a pair of 3516's on a production boat, mostly nice but some service parts have changed already. One impeller broke-up after only 1500hrs so little bits of rubber went through the coolers. This boat is popping off to Norway in a couple of days but the owner/operator says its not worth pulling the inters, good call, huh?
FISHTIGUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
senior member
 
lwrandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt J
1. MTU bought out Detroit Diesel from Roger Penske. MTU stopped producing all of the DD engines and kept the DDEC system (detroit diesel engine control). The DDEC design and the DD dealer network was the only reason they bought Detroit Diesel. MTU now uses all of their own engines (engine designs) and mates the DDEC system to them to get the 12v2000's 16v2000's etc.

They are still making the Series 60, however it will no longer be available from 2010 on as it does not meet the new emissions standards and MTU doesn't want to spend the money and research to get it there. The series 60's are good motors for both torque and longevity.

DD/MTU actually pulled some of the test engines apart at 500k miles. I spoke to the mechanic that dyno'ed it and pulled it apart, the engine made more power with 500k miles on it then when it was new, had no wear inside, and when they installed new rebuild parts (rings, bearings, wear parts etc.) it made less HP on the dyno. He has seen some go well over 1million miles.

2. CAT still produces C18's (1015hp version) and they are installed in many new boats. CAT's first priority is supplying manufacturer's with them and contracts, then selling engine's to the average Joe comes second.
Thanks Capt J and K1W1. That's the info I was looking for. Trying to sift out the most current and correct info off of Google can be a challenge at best.
lwrandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 5,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHTIGUA
Just today we have done a first big service on a pair of 3516's on a production boat, mostly nice but some service parts have changed already. One impeller broke-up after only 1500hrs so little bits of rubber went through the coolers. This boat is popping off to Norway in a couple of days but the owner/operator says its not worth pulling the inters, good call, huh?
I have never seen a rubber raw water pump impellor that was rated to go over 500 hours. I wouldn't think that the service manual recommends putting 1500 hours on the raw water pump impellors without changing them.
Capt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
FISHTIGUA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Guernsey/Antigua
Posts: 2,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt J
I have never seen a rubber raw water pump impellor that was rated to go over 500 hours. I wouldn't think that the service manual recommends putting 1500 hours on the raw water pump impellors without changing them.
Capt J

First BIG service all done within CAT service intivals, all the usual stuff done by the book, neatly done. Boats ain't perfect
FISHTIGUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
K1W1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: My Office
Posts: 6,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHTIGUA
Just today we have done a first big service on a pair of 3516's on a production boat, mostly nice but some service parts have changed already. One impeller broke-up after only 1500hrs so little bits of rubber went through the coolers. This boat is popping off to Norway in a couple of days but the owner/operator says its not worth pulling the inters, good call, huh?
Hi,

I am not sure what pump you are saying about here.

The 3500's I am familiar with do not use a flexible impeller pump in any part of the cooling system and never have. The main S.W. Pump and Charge Air Cooler Pumps are metal impeller pumps.

Has it got Plate Coolers or Shell and Tube?

The largest CAT I recall with a rubber Impeller was the 3412 but as I haven't dealt with one for a while not sure if they and their successors are not metal impeller pump units the C 18's are for sure.

If the guy is having his first service at 1500 Hrs he should read the Owners manual, there is an important one at the first 1000 Hrs which includes checking the valve lash and changing the Oil, Oil and Fuel Filters plus SOS should be done every 250.

What sort of "production boat" uses 3516's anyway?
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:23 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
FISHTIGUA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Guernsey/Antigua
Posts: 2,145
CATs

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1
Hi,

I am not sure what pump you are saying about here.

The 3500's I am familiar with do not use a flexible impeller pump in any part of the cooling system and never have. The main S.W. Pump and Charge Air Cooler Pumps are metal impeller pumps.

Has it got Plate Coolers or Shell and Tube?

The largest CAT I recall with a rubber Impeller was the 3412 but as I haven't dealt with one for a while not sure if they and their successors are not metal impeller pump units the C 18's are for sure.

If the guy is having his first service at 1500 Hrs he should read the Owners manual, there is an important one at the first 1000 Hrs which includes checking the valve lash and changing the Oil, Oil and Fuel Filters plus SOS should be done every 250.

What sort of "production boat" uses 3516's anyway?

First and foremost, I must admit I HATE dealing with CATs. These ones are about 850HP, so what the heck that means in CAT terminoligy is anyones guess, I think they make up engine numbers as they nail 'em together.

I've had CATs on yachts and real fishing boats. Fine, they work.

They are the dirtiest, smelliest, thuggist engines I've ever worked on. Nothing is logical in their layout, yes, all the basics are there but all the extra bits are dreadful. Making truck engines into marine ones should be left to the pros' please.

Sorry K1W1, rant over..........for now

Fish
FISHTIGUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
K1W1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: My Office
Posts: 6,304
Hi,

Fish- They must be special 3516's as they start at 1603 Hp in my book.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 5,732
Cat's are my favorite and I think everything is laid out well, maintanence items are easy to get to, parts are cheap, and they run........with very few issues. Not to mention you can get CAT certified service and parts worldwide. Try getting to the aftercooler on a MAN to clean it every 2 years as the service manual suggests, it's a nightmare on the 1050's and 1300's (pre-common rails) that requires removing all kinds of stuff. Cat's can be a little noisy, but they offer a lot of low end torque, will idle all day without an issue, run clean, never have an oil leak......I prefer them, and I've run all of the different engines from Gardener and Perkins, to MTU 16v2000's and MAN common rails. The pre-common rail MANs and MTUs were horrible when it comes to smell under 1,000rpms, also blue smoke at cold start up...... in a sportfish they'd make you puke when you trolled with them.......

You're not working on 3506's if they're 850hp.......It sounds more like 3406's possibly. A rubber impellor's service intervel on that motor is every 500hrs. 1500hrs on a rubber impellor is extraordinary. Also chances are those motors missed their major 1000hr service which includes lashing valves, checking turbo's, cleaning aftercoolers, etc. etc. etc. ohhh yeah and changing impellors.
Capt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are EST. The time now is 07:23 PM.

Click for Nordlund
Click for JetForums
Click for Delta
Click for Pacific Mariner
Click for Cape Scott
Click for Westport


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2