Click for Glendinning Click for JetForums Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger Click for Westport

Sunseeker Displacement

Discussion in 'Sunseeker Yacht' started by Kideral, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Kideral

Kideral Guest

Why does the Sunseeker displace more than the Viking or the Fairline for a given length?

A 40 foot viking is 19,000 lbs and a 40 foot sunseeker is 26,000 lbs???

Where the extra weight coming from????
  2. Kideral

Kideral Guest

OK, I figured it out....

Sunseeker quotes their displacement at HALF LOAD. All others quote their displacement when EMPTY... There is a heck of a difference between the two...
  3. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Does seem odd to use the "half load" case. That one would have had me scratching my head too :confused:

Kelly Cook
  4. CODOG

CODOG Senior Member

Sunseeker quote half-load displacements for several reasons. Firstly, bare-boat displacement is arguably a non-existant state for a boat owned and used regularly. These figures are readily available upon request, but rarely quoted in abbreviated specifications. Half-load is a realistic all-up, real-world displacement that represents the state of the boat half-way through a theoretical journey. Half the fuel load is gone by then, but hopefully you still have the same number of crew on board as when you left port and havent lost your tender off the back either. Half the food and wine is theoretically consumed at half-load stage too, but an allowance is made for the weight of waste by-product that is still held on board and hasnt been dumped at sea. Sunseeker owners carry an amazing amount of gear around, so an estimated weight is catered for here too.
    Propeller design is optimised for just over half-load, to minimise the risk of overloading the engines at full-load (or start of journey), yet give a decent top speed at half-load, a condition more realistic than quoting performance figures for an empty boat bar two people and 10 gallons of fuel.