Click for Burger
Click for Westport
Click for Oceanco
Click for JetForums
Click for Christensen
Click for Nordlund
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > YACHT CLUBS > Chris Craft Roamer Club > Steel Hull Issues > Double Plating Question

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

Double Plating Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 07:59 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinlifenc
Why does it seem like this forum is a rabid display of constant oneupmanship? This display is not entertaining, or welcoming..
Agreed. It certainly detracts from the otherwise wonderful content offered here.
Ben Diss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:05 AM   #32 (permalink)
Publisher/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinlifenc
Why does it seem like this forum is a rabid display of constant oneupmanship? This display is not entertaining, or welcoming..
I really don't think the points raised by K1W1 were a case of 'oneupmanship'. He's trying to steer you in the right direction based on a high level of experience in building steel and aluminum yachts. I know K1W1 personally and while I'm not at liberty to divulge his identity, please trust me when I tell you, we are lucky to have someone with his expertise here. If he's taking time out from a very busy build schedule to join in the Roamer discussion, then tap into his knowledge!
YachtForums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:04 PM   #33 (permalink)

Lucky to Have Them on YachtForums.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by YachtForums
I really don't think the points raised by K1W1 were a case of 'oneupmanship'. He's trying to steer you in the right direction based on a high level of experience in building steel and aluminum yachts. I know K1W1 personally and while I'm not at liberty to divulge his identity, please trust me when I tell you, we are lucky to have someone with his expertise here. If he's taking time out from a very busy build schedule to join in the Roamer discussion, then tap into his knowledge!
Carl,
Basically ditto on the above.

While I haven't visited him recently as you have, he has never failed to jump in and help me (both publicly and privately) on engineering related issues no matter what kind/size of vessel I have been on at the time. We are fortunate to have extraordinary talent like him (and Marmot) on the forum.

While sometimes a little gruff on the initial replies on the general forums (usually as a result of vague questions, or someone spouting off inaccurate advice/information), the results are ALWAYS worth sifting through the answers once a concise direction is established.

Just my $.02 (American)

ROCKY
rocdiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:02 PM   #34 (permalink)
Publisher/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocdiver
Carl,
While sometimes a little gruff on the initial replies on the general forums (usually as a result of vague questions, or someone spouting off inaccurate advice/information), the results are ALWAYS worth sifting through the answers once a concise direction is established.
Gruff! Good word and a good description Rock. Let me share something with the Roamer contingent... I hosted the CC Roamer forum for Eric because the boats are steel and aluminum, therefore the materials and procedures cross platform to the other yachts we cover on YF, giving our Roamer members a diverse source of information and experience to draw from.

On Marmot; I haven't met him, but I know who he is and what he does. This is the guy that 100's of captains and chief engineers rely on when they can't come up with an answer. We are privileged to have him participating on YF! Yes, he's a little direct because he doesn't have a lot of time and actually has more important things to do. If he sees a glaring inaccuracy, he calls someone to the mat. I'm willing to bet it's the reason that most of us return to YF.

And finally... we're all grown men that are dumb enough to own boats, which means we subject ourselves to far more problems than the average human. On this basis alone, we should be more thick-skinned than most. Let's set aside diplomacy and get to the point... YF was founded on answers. And that's FAR more than most forums offer.

BTW Rock... I still wear my IBEX shirt proudly!
YachtForums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:00 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
And finally... we're all grown men that are dumb enough to own boats, which means we subject ourselves to far more problems than the average human. On this basis alone, we should be more thick-skinned than most. Let's set aside diplomacy and get to the point... YF was founded on answers. And that's FAR more than most forums offer.

Heyyyyyy speak for yourself. I was smart enough to get rid of my last personal boat a long time ago. I just get paid now to fix and use other people's boats. I'm still subjected to all of the problems, but paying to fix them is not one of them!!!!!!! hehehehe
Capt J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:41 AM   #36 (permalink)

Sorry these took so long I have been working on the cabin, I didnít realize I missed so much action here. As you can see with my color scheme this is not my grandfatherís Chris Craft, although I think he would of still enjoyed it. I went back and forth on the colors between original and modern and my wife and I are very happy with these final results.
Attached Images
545x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #37 (permalink)

545X - the black makes for one mean looking hull. Looking forward to the completed project. What does the boat weigh?

As far as the oneupmanship, I love to see the experts go at it - think of it as a fight in a hockey game.
JB1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:44 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Gruff! Good word and a good description Rock.

We need to meet up!
rocdiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:56 PM   #39 (permalink)

Hey JB
Regarding weight I am not sure have been guessing between 8000pds to 10,000pds I bet someone on here would know better than me, below is the only form Chris Craft info I have, it is probally hard to read at small rez.
My boat is a 25 foot steel hull, fiberglass top and has a single engine Chevy 283 no genset, the boat pulls on homemade tandem axle trailer like a feather with my GMC Duramax 2500. I would be currious if someone knows for sure.
Attached Images
545x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:05 AM   #40 (permalink)
roamer nut

My 1963 36 aluminum with flybridge,gear, and full tanks is about 14,000. r n
Old 09-28-2010, 07:49 AM   #41 (permalink)

Nice results! I must admit that when I saw the first pictures I thought to myself: who is crazy enough to throw money at that? But now I am starting to see the point. Beautiful restoration project!

As for repairs: shortcuts have a way of costing dearly later on. You did well by replacing the steel.

Looking forward to see the work progress!

Bruno
Innomare is offline   Reply With Quote