Click for Furuno Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder

Lars Modin Design II

Discussion in 'Yacht Renderings & Plans' started by AMG, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

what yard

Hi, i like these scandinavian utility-type boats, what yard build this one?
  2. KCook

KCook Senior Member

3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I think we are talking of the same thing Kelly, as Chianti in the link above or as on Medley, a 24 m (80 feet) open concept that I made ten years ago.

/Lars

Attached Files:

4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

This aluminium boat is built at Westerbergs Båtvarv at the island Möja outside Stockholm. There are several builders along the coast but this is the most sought after since they only build one boat a year... :)
  5. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

one boat a year doesnt look very cost effective...
    Did you ever do anything for yards like Minor or Targa?

I just went through your big design series.
    That stuff would be great on paper (book, magazine).
    There were also some boats in this "scandinavian" line, but more modern ones (the one from the photographs).

Which yard were they by?
  6. KCook

KCook Senior Member

My bad (again :rolleyes: ). That hardtop on the Chianti was so smoothly integrated with the rest of the design that I thought it was an enclosed bridge!

Kelly
  7. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

KCook :D
    I'm laughing since I thought that I was the only one that had to go back and look at the designs over and over before "getting it". :)
    Keep looking through AMG's designs and all kinds of interesting things pop up.
    Enjoy.
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Chianti

Alright guys, here she is again, with a lighter background... ;)

Attached Files:

9. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

You have good taste Kelly! Chianti was the first rendering Lars ever published to the site and we were all blown away. What was amazing was... he had actually finished this design years before and waited to see if it would stand the test of time before publishing it. :eek:
  10. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

You've made some changes. You "squared-off" the main deck/skylounge windows. I favored the original, but sometimes... change is good too.
  11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

You are right Carl, this version is a little updated as I think the softer lines were a little too soft if the yacht should be built today. I suspect that in a couple of years from now we will find sharper edges in the yacht designs. But anyone who would like to build the original Chianti is more than welcome.. :)
  12. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Gosh Lars, that kind of smarts! :eek:

Another designer was once asked what was necessary to become a N.A. - His reply was "well it helps to be brain damaged" :D .

Kelly
  13. catmando

catmando Senior Member

I love this yacht!! Build her Lars, build her! :) :)
  14. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

NEW thoughts...

As fuel prices go up every day, I was thinking of where the future of yachting is heading? Can we continue to fly over the waves with V8 engines or will we turn to sailing boats, or alternative power sources?

And what about purchase prices for new boats, also affected of oil prices and expensive high tech equipment?

So I started out to draw on a new concept, a powerboat inspired from sailing yachts. With a slippery, still hard chined hull that can be cruising about 8-9 knots with a small and economical engine. With a free standing and foldable mast for a staysail or downwind sailing with a dagger board. A cabin with optional and modular interior solutions, like galley, head and up to six beds. Standing height inside and lots of space in the cockpit which is open to the stern. Unsinkable construction.

But besides navigation LED lights there would be no fancy installations. Just nice modern materials all through, easy to run and maintain, with economy and ecology as the priorities.

Could this be a good direction for future boats/yachts?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2005
  15. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Foldable mast is cool. But I'm not so sure about an unstayed mast. That would certainly be the sailing version of a performance hull bottom. As for the concept, I thought the whole idea of yachts was conspicous consumption? :D

Kelly Cook
    (last seen lost in CAD land)
  16. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Predicting the market..... Hmmmmm.
    Motorsailer makes sense. Will the market make sense? It doesn't in the Automotive business if practicality is used as an indicator. Increased fuel costs are affecting the middle of the market with fewer sales of SUVs but at the top 5% end of the market the fuel cost isn't a consideration. I don't know if the automotive example translates to the marine market.
    SWAG: The mid-level market will move to more operational cost efficient models. If the manufacturers deliver motorsailers that are straightforward to operate that customer segment will buy. The straight out toy market at the top end won't change due to costs. It may change if there is a perception that sail is THE way to go for one reason or another just as the hybrid vehicles are selling because of a perceived green cachet. Sheer unadulterated speed and power as a need for some will never go away.
    There is a whole demographic segment looking at yachting. 20 years+ of 18/7s, 3 or 4 marriages that have ended in divorce and a net worth that if liquidated would allow them to spend from .5 to 10 million a year for the rest of their lives which is a number that they actually know since their annual insurance medicals announce their life expectancies to them in years and months. There is a count down program for PDAs that gives you the number of days that you are projected to have left as part of the scheduling function.:) What portion of this group will go for the owner operated choices so that they don't have to deal with crew and what portion will keep on with larger crewed vessels because they are inured to having a "cast and crew" as part of their lives.... no way to guess. All I can say for certain is that those whose idea of a relaxing day is free climbing on ice in the Rocky Mountains will not be looking for a wedding cake topped hole in the water tied forever to a pier some place.
    Keep presenting the different, the beautiful and the functional and you'll sell vessels.
    Someone on this board uses a quote from Pirates of the Caribbean in his signature. That quote sums it up in a hauntingly, almost painfully accurate way for at least some of your customers. Cheers!
  17. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thanks for your comments on this concept. Maybe you are not aware of the fuel prices we have in Europe, it has now passed USD 6 per US Gallon...!

Kelly,

Unstayed carbon spars are today getting five times higher than what I have on this boat, which by the way was supposed to be a powered sailing boat hull, not the other way around... ;)

Codger,

I can follow your thoughts on this subject, but I think that evolution usually comes from human need and desire, and the great number of Bayliner type buyers will certainly think twice when you have got the same fuel costs as we have. Or is the old saying that "fuel and whisky will never reach their real value" still valid? :)

/Lars
  18. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

We're at about $4.00/US Gallon here now. Still wall to wall motor homes cruising down the highway. No shortage of 18litre/100km pickup trucks either. But the smart car is a six month wait from order date.
    As to the Bayliner buyer....... if fuel cost keeps him at the dock instead of on the water and you present him with an option like a motor-sailer he'll take a look at it. I think the question is: What does he have to look at now that he can buy instead?
  19. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

I like the bowshape, but im not to sure about the motorsail-concept.
    Here in Holland there are 2 kind of boaters; sail or engine; period... and i for one find a small tree in my view kinda disturbing :(

Sailing boats are avaiable in abundance so that part is kinda filled.

A very efficient hull, airlubricated, small diesel (like the one Mercedes builds for Smart) and superefficient solarpanels to work together with the diesel, would be very nice:)
  20. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi Tantetruus,

I agree, sailing boats is another market. My inspiration was rather the small fishing boats you find in the Med, often converted to picnic-boats. The mast is mainly for a staysail to prevent rolling and support when you go downwind. As well as you can arrange a suncover over the boom.

In Italy you have brands like Aprea-Mare that has started out with similar ideas, but today looks more and more like luxury powerboats.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.