Click for Furuno Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for JetForums

510 Sea Ray - buy or not?

Discussion in 'Sea Ray Yacht' started by tempted, Apr 19, 2004.

1. tempted

tempted New Member

I am debating buying a 510 Sundancer (2000). My concerns are its short production run & the 3196CATs. Who has experience with this boat? Any and all comments are appreciated. Thanks, Ted
  2. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

3. Yachtwatch

Yachtwatch Guest

510 SeaRay

Ted,

Did you end up getting the information you need about the 510 SeaRay. I have this very SeaRay 2000 for sale and love the power option of having the cats. There are some corks about the engine which is not a bad thing just something a owner must learn and work with. If you have any questions please drop me a email.

Mateo
  4. acucu

acucu New Member

2000 51 is my favor searay for the money

there is a 2000 51 da at my marina --- this is an incredible boat in my opinion..

its absoltely massive and has a huge interior space

the 2000 is restyled vs the previous and avail with hardtop....

there is one for sale i see for 369k so prices are comming down

cant wait to get one myself-- i have a 38 da now and cant wait to make the jump up...
  5. elsupremo

elsupremo Senior Member

I have been considering a '01 51' Sundancer, low hours. However, some of the things I read on Yachtsurvey.com about Sea Ray are not too flattering. The balsa core issue on Sea Rays 40-55' from 1995-2002 sounds worrisome. Does anyone know, did they use balsa cores on ALL boats in this size range? Did the 510 have this issue?

Also, Mr. Pascoe (Yachtsurvey.com) laments Sea Ray's seakeeping abilities, saying it is not really a boat for the ocean. I'm reading his reviews on the older Sea Rays (older 500, and 550). Have any experienced boaters had a chance to feel the 51 at sea? How's the ride?

Thanks for any advice. Pascoe's reviews of older Sea Rays left me jittery! I'm hoping Sea Ray is a better brand than he thinks, or at least has made some changes in its newer (2000+ models).
  6. acucu

acucu New Member

yes i too would like to know about specifically the new body 2000 vs the older 50's that where reviewed....
  7. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

I ran a new 50' for a client from Long Island's south shore around Manhattan and to the north shore (Long Island Sound). I'll tell you, in 4-5+ foot following seas (on the quarter) this boat handled remarkably well. After going through short, close white caps in the bay, we headed into the ocean, running about 1.5 miles off the beach. Seas were building all day, but we had to make the ride since the next day was forecasted to be a washout (client flew me to NY for the weekend just for this trip and some hands-on practicing). I think some SeaRays are too light for the ocean. But this 50, with Merc diesels had some weight, broad shoulders and good running gear. I was surprised at the results. And around NY, in flatter water she ran very well.
    Hope that helps.
    Capt Tom
  8. elsupremo

elsupremo Senior Member

Tom,
    Thank you for your reply. I appreciate you sharing your experience with this brand.

Any other replies regarding the seakeeping ability of Sea Rays (2000 or newer), or information regarding the balsa cores will be very appreciated. Thank you!
  9. elsupremo

elsupremo Senior Member

I would like to bump this one more time to see if anyone has any information about the balsa coring issue. I am convinced that the ride of the 510 is pretty good, but my biggest worry of course is about the balsa coring. I don't want a boat that is going to be rotting (in excess) from the inside during my period of ownership.

Anyone with any information about the 2001 510 Sundancer and the balsa coring issue, please help me out here.
    Does the 2001 510 have a balsa core (below the waterline, I'm not talking about deck coring or other areas above the waterline and out of trouble)?
    Is the balsa core issue as serious and detrimental as some would say?

Thanks in advance!