Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Delta Click for Mulder

To any Post owners: Rendezvous!!

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by CTdave, Mar 27, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

If you happen to own a Post Yacht and your interested in the 2004 rendezvous, let me know. I'll send you the info for this summers get together in Wildwood NJ. Lots of fun stuff to do including a tour of the Post plant.
    Dave
  2. mike Berke

mike Berke New Member

Great idea. I bought a 46 last summer in Conneticut and brought it back to Lake Superior. Would like to take the trip back again. It would be nice to start a forum with Post owners. It surprizes me there is no Post Owners Association like many other manufacturers have. Please keep in touch.
  3. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Hi Mike & welcome to the club.
    Contact Post in Mays Landing NJ & they will keep you informed of their gatherings.
    Fortunately, I am close for this one. I hear they get as many as 40-50 boats.
    How do you like your 46?
    I love my 42 but I already have the itch for another 8 feet. I'll need to save some money in the piggy bank though. For now, the 42 is a great boat!
    Dave
  4. mike Berke

mike Berke New Member

Thanks for the reply. I love my 46. It is the nicest all around vessel I have had in years and that includes a Hatteras. I do wish Post was more involved with their earlier models. For instance, I have a small crack in one of my deck hatches. They don't make them anymore so when I called they said they had no idea where they could be fixed or replaced. Otherwise, they have been helpful when it comes to current issues. I have the model with master berth running for Port to Starboard which gives a lot more room. Galley is also down so more room in the main cabin which I like. The boat runs like a dream. You can tell, I really like the Post. If I were to sell this one, it would only be to get a newer one. Mine is a 1985. Keep in touch. It is nice to hear from other Post owners.
  5. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Mike
    During my recent (rub rail up) refinish job, I replaced my three hatches.
    I called Post & they gave me a name of a guy in NJ who builds them. He is a Post owner who owns a plastics company. He had the same problem & molded his own.
    My new hatches match my old ones exactly BUT........... I have no record of who the guy is. Try Post again & tell them what I said.
    Post is pretty amazing with info. My boat is a 79 & recently I called them to ask about prop sizes.
    The pulled up the info on my boat & gave me all the info on what my boat came with, gear ratios and all.
    Give them a try.
    Dave
  6. Captn Hank

Captn Hank New Member

New member....

Hello guys.... Just join the forum this evening. Dave, I'm also docked in Stuart, FL, but live in New Jersey. I was going to bring the boat up this year, but we decided to cruise to the Keys this summer for about 2 weeks. Or original plans were a cruise to the Bahamas.... the $300 entry fee settled that. There is no way I'm going to pay that fee and still spend big money in the islands.

I'm in New Jersey now until Wednesday.... then flying back down to Florida for most of the summer.

Captn Hank
  7. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Hank
    It sounds like your going to have a great summer!
    What boat do you have?
    I keep mine out at Sailfish Point during the winter & I just brought it back to Greenwich CT for the summer.
    Dave
  8. Captn Hank

Captn Hank New Member

Dave.... I'm at Harbor Inn "The Deck". The boat is called "At Last". I look forward to seeing you on your return trip.

Captn Hank
  9. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Hank
    I know where the Harbor Inn is. I'll keep in touch & look forward to meeting you & seeing your Post!
    I think we have a friend in common. I recently sold my old generator to a guy from CT but his 46 Post is also in stuart. He is completely refinishing every inch of the boat (why he wanted my old Onan is a mystery to me).
    He was telling me about how he was going to keep his boat at harbor inn and I believe he told me about your boat. I think you recently refinished yours?
  10. Captn Hank

Captn Hank New Member

Hello Dave.... Yes, our mutual friend is Joe Ryan. I just asked if anyone had heard from him since his return up north. Will Roberts was scheduled to re-install his engines, but something went down and Will stopped.

I'm just about finished doing the work on my Post. I will attach a few pictures when things are together.

Captn Hank
  11. mike Berke

mike Berke New Member

Cap't Hank:& CT; I brought my 46 back from Conneticut to Lake Superior last summer. I am also doing some upgrading. I would be interested in hearing what you two did to your Posts. Thanks in advance.
  12. jkp1

jkp1 New Member

2005 Post get together

Any thought of a 2005 New England Post get together? Just bought my boat last year and would like to share notes with other post owners. I'm based out of the Connecticut River. Anyone for Block Island?
  13. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

I wish there had been a Post rendezvous at Block Island. I did go to the Cape May get together last year & aside of the weather turning bad on the way down & a slight (bump) mishap on Barnegate Bay, we had a ball.
    I now have a 50 Bertram so if anyone would like to go to the Post rendezvous, I have a really nice, older 42 for sale in Greenwich CT
  14. Captn Hank

Captn Hank New Member

Hello guys...... Well, tomorrow is the big day. I finally get my boat back from being repaired from Hurricane Jeanne. I'm like a kid waiting on Christmas morning.

$74,000 in insurance repairs and $19,000 of up grades coming out of my pocket. Looks like I will have a nice day for an outside run to Jupiter Inlet from Ft. Lauderdale. I'm not looking forward to making trip up via the ICW. The bridge schedules are far from being boater friendly now.

The entire boat has been repainted with Matahorn white, Awlgrip, plus non-skid. All new steering system, new Simrad AP-26 autopilot. Custom arch for the satellite tv, radar, and gps antennas. New, Lee MX ProSeries, outriggers. Had some dry rot in the tackle station.... cut out and glassed over.

This work was performed by Erwin Marine Service, Inc., located at Jackson Marine Center, Ft. Lauderdale. I have to give credit, where credit is due. They are true professionals down there. Also, I have to give credit to BoatUS insurance. They addressed all of the issues and never hesitated in paying the claim.

I will now be docked at "Blowing Rocks Marina", in Tequesta, FL. I gave up on Harbor Inn and "The Deck". They still don't have their marina finished from the hurricane damage. In fact, there are still some sunken sailboats there. The have shown me that they don't really care about their investment. If my investment, depends upon theirs, and they don't give a ****. It's time for me to look else where. "Blowing Rocks", may cost more, but they are pro-active on keeping their investment top-shelf.

I will post some new pictures, soon.

Dave, congratulations on your Bertram!!!!!!!!

Captn Hank
  15. mike Berke

mike Berke New Member

jkp: What did you get for a Post? I bought my 46 Post from Yankee Boats in 2003 and brought it back to Lake Superior. Nice trip. Would be interested if you have any plans for upgrading etc. I would be interested in a rendevouz. Good luck with the new Post
  16. jkp1

jkp1 New Member

My Post

Mike,

I think I know your boat. 46' (early '80's) Post at Yankee Boat yard in Portland CT. As I recall it had no bow rail, was on the market for about 2-3 years and had an ask price of $219k. Was that the one?

I bought my boat next door a Portland Boat Works. 1980 42' Post which had just completed a refit. New strataglass, appliances, electronics, washer/dryer, head, wallpaper, headliner, carpet, posturpedic matresses, all new salon furniture and new corian countertops. Engines have new risers & turbos. It's been good so far. This year, my winter projects are a new home theater, new hailer and remove some pitch from the prop to get max loaded RPM up to spec. Will also install Walker Air-seps on the intakes.

I took the boat to Block Island and Cuttyhunk last summer. Was amazed at all the Post's I ran into. Two were seasonal slipholds at Paynes and met three more transients at Cuttyhunk. Everyone I've met so far who has owned a Post seems to love them.

If I had it to do over, I would have opted for the 46' over the 42'. The extra head and dinette would have come in handy with 2 young kids. Oh well, you have to start somewhere and I guess a 42' Post is not a bad start.
  17. mike Berke

mike Berke New Member

Thanks for the message. That wasn't the same boat. The boat I bought went on the market on a wednesday and I bought it that Sunday and was a mid 80's. It was like new with this owner being the second person to own. The interior and exterior are spotless. I buffed out the entire hull and it looks like new. I have put on new stratoglass, new cutlass bearings, dripless bearings, new seacocks, hoses, painted the engine compartment, new water pumps. This winter I am trying to replace the main engine seacocks (what a pain that is) and would like to install airseps. Did you find any places that were reasonable for airseps? Is there a used market? I also had my props redone including the laser check and high speed balance. They guarantee accuracy to 1%. My engines have 2500 hours on them but check out like new. The turbos and blankets etc were replaced just before I bought the boat. I don't have any smoking or misting in the engine room so I am happy about that. A trick my engine surveyor gave me that he has been using for 20 years( he is the chief engineer for the New York Ferry system) is to put a quart of Marvel Mystery oil in every 100 gallons of fuel. It not only lubricates better but prevents smoking. It works. When my projects get done I might consider moving up to a newer 46 or a 50, but I like this boat so well I am having a hard time thinking about that. I usually buy and sell about every two to three years, but I am not so sure about this one. I really enjoyed that area of the country. This is the second boat I have bought from New York area and have brought back through the Erie canal. What a great trip. Easy to do and people are very friendly. I wish I had more time to spend out East with the boat.
  18. jkp1

jkp1 New Member

Walker Air-Seps

I'm having second thoughts on the Air-Seps. The Racor CVV get better reviews and are a bit cheaper. It has a better oil coalescer so your turbo blades should stay cleaner longer.

BTW, 2500 hours on those engines is pretty good. What size/HP engines do you have?
  19. mike Berke

mike Berke New Member

They are 671 tib's. I was told at survey they are 485 hp but I would think they are actually 450's. I haven't checked the injector size to verify though. They show no scoring in the cylinder walls or rings. The heads have probably been reworked. Turbos and etc have less than 400 hours on them. I keep getting the oil analyzed and all is coming back okay. So far so good. I have run into a couple of people who have over 5000 hours on their 671's with no majors yet, so they do hold up if you service them well.