Click for Lurssen
Click for Elling
Click for Oceanco
Click for Burger
Click for Cape Scott
Click for MotorCheck
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > YACHT & BOAT FORUMS > SportFish Yachts > Post Yacht > To any Post owners: Rendezvous!!

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

To any Post owners: Rendezvous!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2005, 07:06 PM   #16 (permalink)

My Post

Mike,

I think I know your boat. 46' (early '80's) Post at Yankee Boat yard in Portland CT. As I recall it had no bow rail, was on the market for about 2-3 years and had an ask price of $219k. Was that the one?

I bought my boat next door a Portland Boat Works. 1980 42' Post which had just completed a refit. New strataglass, appliances, electronics, washer/dryer, head, wallpaper, headliner, carpet, posturpedic matresses, all new salon furniture and new corian countertops. Engines have new risers & turbos. It's been good so far. This year, my winter projects are a new home theater, new hailer and remove some pitch from the prop to get max loaded RPM up to spec. Will also install Walker Air-seps on the intakes.

I took the boat to Block Island and Cuttyhunk last summer. Was amazed at all the Post's I ran into. Two were seasonal slipholds at Paynes and met three more transients at Cuttyhunk. Everyone I've met so far who has owned a Post seems to love them.

If I had it to do over, I would have opted for the 46' over the 42'. The extra head and dinette would have come in handy with 2 young kids. Oh well, you have to start somewhere and I guess a 42' Post is not a bad start.
jkp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 08:31 AM   #17 (permalink)

Thanks for the message. That wasn't the same boat. The boat I bought went on the market on a wednesday and I bought it that Sunday and was a mid 80's. It was like new with this owner being the second person to own. The interior and exterior are spotless. I buffed out the entire hull and it looks like new. I have put on new stratoglass, new cutlass bearings, dripless bearings, new seacocks, hoses, painted the engine compartment, new water pumps. This winter I am trying to replace the main engine seacocks (what a pain that is) and would like to install airseps. Did you find any places that were reasonable for airseps? Is there a used market? I also had my props redone including the laser check and high speed balance. They guarantee accuracy to 1%. My engines have 2500 hours on them but check out like new. The turbos and blankets etc were replaced just before I bought the boat. I don't have any smoking or misting in the engine room so I am happy about that. A trick my engine surveyor gave me that he has been using for 20 years( he is the chief engineer for the New York Ferry system) is to put a quart of Marvel Mystery oil in every 100 gallons of fuel. It not only lubricates better but prevents smoking. It works. When my projects get done I might consider moving up to a newer 46 or a 50, but I like this boat so well I am having a hard time thinking about that. I usually buy and sell about every two to three years, but I am not so sure about this one. I really enjoyed that area of the country. This is the second boat I have bought from New York area and have brought back through the Erie canal. What a great trip. Easy to do and people are very friendly. I wish I had more time to spend out East with the boat.
mike Berke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 06:55 PM   #18 (permalink)

Walker Air-Seps

I'm having second thoughts on the Air-Seps. The Racor CVV get better reviews and are a bit cheaper. It has a better oil coalescer so your turbo blades should stay cleaner longer.

BTW, 2500 hours on those engines is pretty good. What size/HP engines do you have?
jkp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:43 AM   #19 (permalink)

They are 671 tib's. I was told at survey they are 485 hp but I would think they are actually 450's. I haven't checked the injector size to verify though. They show no scoring in the cylinder walls or rings. The heads have probably been reworked. Turbos and etc have less than 400 hours on them. I keep getting the oil analyzed and all is coming back okay. So far so good. I have run into a couple of people who have over 5000 hours on their 671's with no majors yet, so they do hold up if you service them well.
mike Berke is offline   Reply With Quote