Click for Walker Click for Delta Click for Glendinning Click for JetForums Click for Ocean Alexander

Online auction, Post 44' ? (NO RESERVE)

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by P46-Curaçao, Aug 29, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

The owner of US Auctions is Sully Sutherlin, an old friend who spent many a weekend onboard our Broward. If anyone is interested in more details on the boat, let him know you're a member of YF. He'll shoot straight with you.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

10 Years ago we bid and won a 17' boat from this site (insurance claim). I can say they treated us great. Our lil boot is still the pick-up-truck of our company.
    No worries dealing with this site. Just wish I was in a better position to bid on da Post.
    Any lotto winners out there want to share???? Er,, invest in a fish yacht???
    ,rc
  4. Eroc

Eroc Member

I'm watching this for sure
  5. Eroc

Eroc Member

Looks like she took a pretty good hit to the running gear. Anyone know the production years for the 44, I thought it was a short run and started later in the 80's
  6. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

She's a 46. The CG documented length of the 46 is typically listed as 44.3 or 44.5 on the document. I would guess that's what the auction Co is using in their description.

In the current market a salvage piece like this has almost no value if the machinery is dead. I recently sold a very nice 1985 Post 46 for $80,000. In May I sold a 1981 Post 42 for $18,000 that was essentially a salvage piece, but she was floating and running well. She had a turbo problem that sooted up the ER and entire interior and as a result the Ins Co totaled her. New owner cleaned her up and put new headliners in and brought her on a Yacht Club cruise last weekend.
  7. Eroc

Eroc Member

Thanks, might make a nice backyard fort for my kids.
  8. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

The auction has the HIN posted and the HIN looks like it is a 1983 46' Post

from the pics on the website it looks like the boat flooded after the port shaft pulled the dripless/shaft log out of the boat after a hard grounding. I cant tell if the gear pulled off the engine from the impact in the pictures.

The website describes flooding consistent with submersion of the Mains, Genny, and all systems.

Unfortunately, unless you have two 671TIs, gears, generator, ACs, soft goods, a mile of wire, lying around in the garage and a unlimited time and labor, this boat is not worth a lot, if anything at all.

I think the cost of the refit of this boat would exceed the purchase cost of a similar vintage 46 Post (or 44 for that matter)

But I would love you to prove me wrong, please post pictures of the refit if you take on this project

Regards,
    RT 46
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It says that the engines and generator motor were preserved, I'm guessing pickled. The buyer may get lucky and they may just run after clearing out the oil in the cylinders etc. However there is a ton of work there.

Figuring it out is the weird one. If it ran aground, at least around here and tore the port running gear out, I doubt water would get anywhere near as high as 3' above the cabin sole. The boat looks like it was well taken care of prior to that. The strataglass looks fairly clear, the aluminum hardtop stuff shows no pitting and the stainless is all shiny and rust free. I agree it would cost more to fix this one than to buy a running one. But if you wanted to start from scratch and do a 46' Post your way it would be a good candidate. However, there are very few of those types of people around anymore and you'd never get it back in resale......
  10. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

I agree with Capt J 100%
  11. Eroc

Eroc Member

It's a shame to see it in that condition, maybe someone has the time and money to make the repairs and she doesn't go to waste sitting in a yard for a decade
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Did Post use tinned wire in those ole days?
  13. rgsuspsa

rgsuspsa Member

POST 44 Auction

The Post 44 was produced from 1990-1994. The boat at auction is definitely not a Post 44. The Post 42 was manufactured thru 1983,
    and replaced by the 43 in 1984. The interior of the boat at auction looks like a 42 model.

Ron Sparks
  14. baltimore bob

baltimore bob Member

Looks like less work than the one I'm restoring!
  15. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

It does, but if you look closely at the galley photo she is the (rare) 46 model with the athwartships walk around berth in the forward master which has the head all the way in the forepeak. AFAIK the 42 only ever had upper and lower forward.
  16. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Someone is going to be very happy to be passing the responsibility of figuring out what to do with that boat to someone else.

Well, it doesn't look as bad as some of the Stock Island specials given to homeless or sold on ebay for as little as a dollar.
  17. water-baby

water-baby Member

If you look at the HID # you'll see she's a 1983 46'
  18. kubu

kubu Member

You could more than likely part the boat out at current price and make some money !!
  19. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

And how do you dispose of what you're left with? How much are the yard costs in the meantime?