Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Cross Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta

weird noise on 1985 46 post

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by ptsbusboy, Aug 19, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ptsbusboy

ptsbusboy New Member

I have a1985 46 post 6-71 capital gears When in forward gear between 7-13 hundred rpm i can hear a sound like a hollowing. I know its coming from port drive train can hear it on bridge not in bilge. Last night it was pretty loud and then all i did was turn the boat (didnt touch anything else) noise stopped intill i went straight again and noise returned Trans oil full and clean any ideas would be greatly appreciated Thanks Paul
  2. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Hard to say without being on the boat. Usual protocol is to start with the running gear and rudder and chase the sound back to the machinery until you find the source. Hopefully its just a loose prop nut or shaft zinc.... Good luck
  3. ptsbusboy

ptsbusboy New Member

Thanks for the reply and idea's
  4. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Was thinking rudder or cross-arm. If not too much work, try adjusting cross-arm to change toe in or toe out to see if rudder bearing wear might be contributing. That will load the bearing a bit and change noise if that is the source.
  5. ptsbusboy

ptsbusboy New Member

Thanks I will check rudders
  6. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Let us know what you find, thanks
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Other options. You might have cable driven tachometers (I've seen them due this when the cable gets old). I have also seen the Glenndenning synchonizer do this. Also Capitals were known to have some whining noise at slow speeds sometimes. Check the prop for a line on it, check the shaft seals and cutlass bearings. But if you only hear it on the bridge, I would look to a cable driven tachometer cable, and the sheathing keeps the noise inside and the noise exits under the tachometer on the bridge. Also check what everyone else has mentioned.
  8. Romashkin

Romashkin New Member

Good day Paul. As I understood, the noise is comong from gear? In this case I'd recommend to check if transmission oil is original one, because it can influence on gear operation. Second thing is that this noise can be due to wearing of friction pairs. In this case you can try to use additives for transmission and noise will decrease after some time.
  9. ruby

ruby Member

When you are idling the port side in forward gear, just enough to get the boat to move, then put the boat in neutral as it still moves do you hear the noise. The drive shaft still needs to slightly spin just to see if the noise is coming from inside trans or possibly stuffing box or cutlass bearing. Some times the keyway in the prop may cause the prop to walk slightly as the keyway is worn
  10. ptsbusboy

ptsbusboy New Member

Just a quick follow up after purchasing a mechanics stethoscope I traced the noise that is the loudest just above the port strut so I'm assuming it is the strut bearing will change this winter
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

You may want to get a diver under there and take a look (feel). If it is a cutlass bearing and it's making noise, It could also be damaging the shaft.