Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for JetForums

Post 46 fuel tank question

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Eroc, Aug 17, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Eroc

Eroc Member

I was wondering the fuel tanks are made of, steel or alluminum. From what I've researched there is a total capacity of 610 or 620, what is the configuration of the tanks
    Thanks in advance
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Hi
    Can you offer a model and year? I assume diesel.
    You may see the tank under some service/inspection plates.
    ,rc
  3. Eroc

Eroc Member

Rc
    I haven't had an opportunity to look at the boat that I am interested in, curious to know what they came with. It is an 85 46' with 6-71ti. Any info would be appreciated.
  4. kubu

kubu Member

I have a 46 ft. and I hold 610 gallons. There is one tank between the engines and the second tank is center under the cockpit. I have had inspection plates installed in both tanks. Hope this helps.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Got ya. Within a few days a bunch of Post owners will be on line (done fishing and back to work).
    If it's listed, give us an idea of where she is at. Some of these Post kids may know something about her.
    Kubu; What material are your tanks made of?
  6. ruby

ruby Member

I believe mine are aluminum and capacity is either 320 each.
  7. kubu

kubu Member

Aluminum
  8. Eroc

Eroc Member

Thanks guys, I'm hoping to take a look at it soon. What are your thoughts, one engine has been majored recently including reman head,turbo while the other checked out ok but does have approx 1900 hours on it. I know there are alot of variables that will affect the longevity of and engine but already pushing 2k hrs how long until it will need an overhaul?
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Who marinized the engines? J+T, covington, s+s, etc? J+T's typically have a shorter life. However, most 6-71 TI's will easily go 5,000 hours when taken care of. Many see 10,000 hours if not more, DEPENDING on the HP rating and most people will say the 6-71 was DD's best motor by far. Being overpropped will also shorten their lifespan quite a bit. I believe Post liked to use J+T's due to their proximity to them.
  10. Eroc

Eroc Member

I believe they are J+T, I'll know more once I check it out
    Thanks