Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Glendinning Click for Delta Click for JetForums

Important News Flash

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by ruby, Aug 9, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ruby

ruby Member

As I was fueling my Post yesterday in my hailing port, I was greeted by a well-spoken gentleman and his wife who admired my boat and complimented me on her condition. It was a nice gesture, and as we spoke I was advised that they are personal friends of the "new owner" of Post. I did relay to these people that I thought that the guys at Worton Creek are a group of highly skilled marine techs, I then went on to say that unfortunately most of us have not had good experiences with the new company, and that I hope someday that the owner will build a boat.

A few hours later I was relaxing in the rear cockpit of my boat when I observed the same couple in their tender, they advised me that they had a conversation with John the owner of Post and advised him of our conversation. John did express that he would like a call from me and that he is interested in any feedback. Next week I will drop him a line...
  2. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Thanks Ruby

And its a beautiful cockpit to relax in...I find it unrealistic that John is not aware of all our comments variously made here on the forum. If he truly is not, he needs a PR rep to keep him in the "loop"
  3. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Good luck getting him on the phone, ha.

I did have conversation with John about a new boat around 2012.

I would consider a new 50, but I am not ready to take the "Hull#1a leap of faith"
    on a new and unproven Post remix.

I could see myself somewhere around Hull #5a....

or a used 50 for 25% of the cost of a new one.....
  4. blueboat

blueboat New Member

My main boating areas are Lewes, DE, and Hatteras,
    Gang, I wish folks would stop bashing the new Post owners. I went to the Post rendezvous in 2013. They're great people!

John just sent me all the existing documentation on my 1982 42 footer. The package was an inch thick and the postage was over $5.00 and he didn't charge me. Incidentally, I found out that on the original owner's delivery trip to Atlantic City, the anchor came loose and the boat had to be hauled to repair the damage. That must have been fun!

I'm willing to bet that if John hadn't bought the molds, they would have been destroyed by now. If you look at his yard, you'll see they take up an acre and had to cost thousands to move.

As far as building a boat, why don't we help him share the risk? I could be interested in joining a group of 10 to build a spec boat. I've seen the 31 Bertram's they remanufacture and I'm sure they can do a great job.
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I'm sorry, but if he can't afford to build a couple of boats to get things started, there is something wrong. It's not up to us or anyone else to share that risk. He's the business owner. And until he builds some boats then his slogan "The Legend Lives On" isn't really true.

You read above someone saying they weren't willing to make the leap of faith on Hull #1. Neither would I. The company needs to make the leap of faith in themselves. Build a couple. Have something to prove to people that you can do what you say. If they're right, they'll sell then. If he can't sell two boats he built then it's not a viable revival.

Any builder who either doesn't have the funding or the courage to build one or two boats to show just doesn't get my support. They want the customer to fund their start up? No thanks. I'm from Missouri. You have to "show me". Not really from Missouri but do need to see proof.
  6. blueboat

blueboat New Member

Have you checked the economy lately? It seems pretty much the only sport fishes selling are pretty much 70 feet and up. The ultra rich are doing fine, others not so much.

I'm thankful there's still a chance for Post. There would be none if the molds are destroyed,
  7. olderboater

I'm fully aware of the economy. I'm also fully of the opinion that if someone can't build a couple of boats to kickstart their company, then there is something wrong. The web site shows 8 current models. There are really no current models, just 8 potential ones. I'm sorry, but to my way of thinking a boat builder isn't in business just because he owns some molds. It requires actually building some boats. If he feels it needs to be large, then build his 66. There are quite a few sportsfishing boats in that range sold and being built.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Actually I think he's right not to build a spec boat at this time. With large yachts, it's not that unusual for people to invest in a yard to build a custom boat. My guess would be that he got Post at the right price due to the situation, and can afford to hold onto it until the market improves. In the mean time he'll build once he has an order. Granted that for now it's a chiken and egg situation, but to put $XXX into building a boat for a market that's not moving doesn't make much sense. If there really is interest in resurecting Post at this time I think Blueboat has a good idea. Why not spread the risk among willing investors? There's probably a better than average chance that one of those investors would end up being the buyer of it if the build goes well.
  9. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Blueboat

Where is John in this discussion? This is the largest Post thread on any forum that I participate on. This is where future Post sales will come from. Is he holding the molds and Post name to flip in the future, or is he someday going to build a boat? Buyers don't usually put the investment team together?
  10. olderboater

If investors wanted to invest then they would have bought the company. There's just something inherently wrong if a builder won't even invest in building a single boat. It really serves as a warning to me. Whether it's lack of funding or lack of commitment it scares me away. As to the market improving, I think this is the market for at least the foreseeable future. There are still plenty of boats being built and profitable builders. Builders need to learn to be successful in this market, rather than banking on the future.

As to him affording to hold on to it, I'm sure he paid very little. So, obviously he can. But each year without a Post being built, the value of the brand reduces. There have been far more brands in a hiatus to never return than those that came back.
  11. blueboat

blueboat New Member

I started this thread because I think the attitude could be more positive. Thank goodness someone saved the name, the records, and the molds.

I have no idea what their financial situation is. Most marine operations are not flush these days. Again, I'm just thankful there's still something to fight over.

They've had a booth at most of the big boat shows for the last several years, so they're trying. I think we should try and support them. John's treated me well, even after I made clear I'm not buying any new boats.
  12. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I think we should try and support them.

Blueboat

If you have read our comments in prior threads, we all started out, and still are, in great support of the resurrection of Post. Many of us have asked for info and have not gotten the courtesy of a reply email. I hear John and his family are lovely people., but the company provides no support for existing owners. I, personally, do not believe that this can be a successful business model for an existing brand. Support is reciprocal. This same attitude seemed to prevail during the prior gelcoat issue when management cut themselves off from their existing customer base. IMO, that sealed the Post sinking. PR ...
  13. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

I know of a fellow with a partly built custom yacht sitting in a yard in Anacortes that did just that. I don't think that it's working out too well for him so far.
  14. ruby

ruby Member

Blue boat, I started this thread!!! You felt the need to add your two sense, furthermore I did attempt to call John ;but as of this time I have not received a return call. Who in the right mind would want to invest with others to build one boat? There is not a person who would say they don't employ a group of talented marine craftsman at Worton Creek. It takes much more than that to build a boat, besides the fact as the original Post team learned first hand. As a terrible economy a few years ago and some piss poor warranty policies killed the original
    company that had somewhat of a proven history. The economy or should I say the marine industry has started to recover. Blue boat it seems that the people in your neck of the woods seem to get better served by the new post team than others!!
  15. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Not defending, just saying, new Post has one of the most experienced and most knowledgeable people on earth, from the original Post team, at his disposal.
    I don't know the arrangement but I know the man is available to John if John needs information.

And still, the name will languish if a new boat isn't built.

I am really sorry to hear all of the bad press Post is getting but they could easily fix that themselves.
    I'd like to see Post live on but it seems unlikely at this point.
  16. ruby

ruby Member

I did receive a return phone call this morning from John the new owner of Post, we did speak at length and I will say that he is a realist and focused man. As I spoke with John it was obvious that he has checked his market and demographics show that the 42 -60 foot sport fish market is lackluster at best, and that 70 foot and over are strong as large center console an express models hold a large part of the market as we'll.
    He does want to build a boat and I don't think he needs backing to do so, I think he is more concerned with skeptics on a first model from a new company. He has committed to more customer service by adding his son in law to the team, as he is the Post Yacht go to guy. With his son in law in place it was a move to promptly handle inquiries that would help owners of Post Yachts. John did further state that he has interest in a rendezvous in the northeast at sometime. One thing that we all agree on as owners of these fine vessels is that they carry on forever and at some point in the future we hope to see new models on the water.
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Did he say whether he has plans to build a spec. boat or is waiting for an order before committing the resources, or is just servicing until the market opens up more?
  18. Liam

Liam Senior Member

This post is very interesting. I personally think that any brand revival is always a good one.

Post should also offer refit services.

I think a good model to start for Post would be the 42 Open with pod drives. I think the market of these is very interesting, and is a soft spot for people who want more then a center console at 12-13 meters.
    Viking has sold forty 42 in a two year production run, and another company which sells well in this size and has similar demographics to Post would be Henriques. They also sold two new 50 Convertible this year and have an open express of that size in build.
  19. olderboater

While I think many hold that view, I think some need to look at where their particular customer stands. I personally think there is a place for Cabo, is a place for Post as it was. The used market in this size range is doing relatively ok. I see other companies moving away from their heritage. Grand Banks to me is a good example. They built the company on 30-50' boats, not on 76' Aleutians. I'm not saying not to offer the 76' but don't run away from your long time customer. The legacy of Post is under 70'.

If one starts saying there is no market for SF under 70', then they're really saying their is no market for Post, that no one wants the boats they were famous for. You don't revive a brand with a totally different range of boats. It's like calling today's Chris Craft a revival. Viking is still selling in the smaller range while expanding at the upper end. Cabo is selling. It's a bit of chicken and egg as to demand and offerings but I see a bit of self fulfilling prophecy too when the owner of Post says there is no demand for his size boats. Now he didn't fully say that, he said "lackluster." Well, it's going to remain lackluster until he builds a boat or boats that someone can actually see. It's really hard to sell hull #1 of a company if no one can have even a sea trial.
  20. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Ruby

Got your message. Hopefully John's son in law will fill their need. He should immediately harvest all his unanswered emails to date and send out an email update. There is so much obvious, easy PR the company is NOT doing while it waits to build a boat. Just one guy's opinion....