Click for Furuno Click for Cross Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking

Split or self-contained?

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by water-baby, Jul 4, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. water-baby

water-baby Member

DW is getting tired of sleeping on a hot boat.
    So it's time to up grade the ac system.
    It currently has a cruise air split system.
    Thinking it might be nice to switch to self-contained units.

Anyone have experience or opinions?

Pros vs cons on both systems?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Self contained are a heck of a lot easier to install, however you have some differences. You're going to have to get your water supply and drain lines to the unit as well as power. They can be a touch noisier and don't seem to last as long as splits.......7 years versus 10 years or so. However, your copper tubing might have a leak in your current unit.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Splits are more expensive and a little more complex to install but if your boat already has splits that's a non issue as the plumbing is in place.

Switching to self contains means having to run a water hose to feed , and then discharged cooling water.

I m not so sure the splits last longer. This may have been in in the past and the good old days of the ole blue cruisairs that would be ticking after 20 years. The new stuff though... doesn't last. Out of 6 condensing units on the 2003 boat I run, we ve replaced 3 compressors, one after only 5 years. On my own boat, 3 compressors out of 4 didn't last more than 6 years...

Two months ago one of the two 16k btu splits in my hatt saloon bit the dust. At the same time, I came across a special deal at defender on new 16k marvair self contains with digital control for only $975. And made in the USA.... I installed one to replace the defunct cruisair split. It was pretty easy as that unit is just above the ER so I could easily run the water hoses but rumored some mods to the cabinetry.

Cools very well, the new touch screen control is very nice but it s definitely louder than Jsut a air handler.

In the saloon it doesn't really matter but I don't think I'd use them in state rooms unless the unit could be installed with good sound reduction say from the bed.

As to the copper pipes leaking gas, that's pretty rare as the stuff is good but leaks can happen at the connections although that usually show up after service/install.

One more thing about the marvair units. The older ones were made in Georgia but that division has now been sold to cruisair so the new ones may be made elsewhere... Not sure.