Click for JetForums Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Westport

1981 42 post updates

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by water-baby, May 30, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. water-baby

water-baby Member

Here are pictures of what I've done to my Post.

Bye bye leaky windows.

Attached Files:

2. water-baby

water-baby Member

From the outside

Attached Files:

3. water-baby

water-baby Member

Outside

Attached Files:

4. water-baby

water-baby Member

Replaced all Rubrail

Attached Files:

5. C team

C team Senior Member

I like the look of the front windows replaced with solid panels. Gives it a more modern look.
  6. shore thing

shore thing Member

Wow, you could not have picked better timing to post this. Two weeks ago bought a 1981 42 (mine's hull #176) with the same exact issue. I'm compiling my materials right now to remove then fill and fiberglass the poorly replaced windows. In mine, it looks like they removed the original windows and placed plywood in its place and painted them black and put some black caulk around the seems. Plywood, no fiberglass. So the wood naturally rotted through and anytime it rains or we take a wave over the bow, we get a puddle of water on the salon entertainment center area.

Is that plywood that you used to fill? it almost looks like Coosa. What did you find when you removed the old stuff? what size material did you use? If you have anymore pictures...post them all!

My thought was to buy the thinnest marine grade ply i could find, then put a layer of CSM on them and layer them until i reached flush with the gel coat. then a layer of 1708, fair and sand then paint. I see you are also de-browing. Thats also my plan. Don't be shy with the pictures, i'd love to see what i'm getting into before i start tearing things apart.

Good Luck, and let me know any lessons learned you have and i'll do the same as i plan to tackle this in the next couple of weeks.

Attached Files:

7. water-baby

water-baby Member

Looks just like mine did.

When I pulled the plexi and teak frame out it was pretty easy
    Cleaned everything up, the inside is framed with fiberglass so no rot
    Used Honeycombed plastic core and cut and beveled to fit then glassed and gel coated the inside white. Now glassing in the out side and when it's finished gel coat that too. The color will not match but I'm not concerned too much because I plan on repainting the whole boat in the next year. Mine is 181

Please post pictures of yours
  8. shore thing

shore thing Member

That is a huge relief to hear that the frames are glassed in and not just open wood. i was concerned i'd open it up and find a much larger problem than just replacing two windows with wood and fiberglass.

I'll post some pictures of my boat in a new thread. don't want to hijack yours. Looks like we have a lot of the same projects ahead of us though. my rubrail also needs replacing...