Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay Click for JetForums

Post 42 cruise speed

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Gambetica, Apr 26, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Gambetica

Gambetica Member

I've Been working on my post 42" 1978 for several months, i'm about a month to take it for the First cruise since doing a full maintainance on the engines (original ones rebuild with 300 hours) new flybridge, replace wood for fyber glass, Maitance on the bottom, i have take it off a lot of weight.

When i bought the boat, it Was abandoned (pay around 15.000$) and exactly dont now what to expect on cruise speed.

We are doing a little wager with my friends on the marina and they say it wont past 13 knots. I Kind of expect 15 Knots on research i have done, the sea here in venezuela can be rough (but the fishing is amazing).

What would be a nice estimate?

Thanks

Juan
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Can you offer a lil more to guess with? What engines and HP? Ratios? I'm guessing 6-71 ti or tib's but guessing.
  3. Gambetica

Gambetica Member

Great guessing! They are Detroit 6-71 238 hp. Naturals (they are No turbo charged)
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Just found your other post on your Post. Great pictures. Was heading back to this post and you already responded.
    15 to 17 knots cruise around 1800 to 1900.

I ran a 44 Striker with the 6-71Ns (4valve head) with N90 injectors and cruised @ 16. May have had a bit more over the N60s but never re-propped. However, never lost RPM on the back of a swell.

You have a great ship there and a good reliable package. Keep us up.

Gad I love you Post kids. May need to find one myself.

,rc
  5. Gambetica

Gambetica Member

Thanks, this is how i founded guess with those props 3knots where the MAx speed. Lol

Attached Files:

6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Time for an oyster roast.

71s rule,
    rc
  7. baltimore bob

baltimore bob Member

If you have the original JT 6-71 Naturals, they are rated at 310 HP. You should get 21-23 knots out of her. 18 knots cruise would be reasonable. What's your hull number,? (It can be found on the removable engine hatch supports) Good luck, I have hull number 3.
  8. Gambetica

Gambetica Member

Hi Baltimore Bob, the hull number is 11, on my post 1978.
  9. cptnpete

cptnpete New Member

Hi, Maybe I am unclear on Post Hull numbers, but I always thought my 1975 42 was hull 15 as shown in pic attached.

Attached Files:

10. baltimore bob

baltimore bob Member

I see PM042016M76 I would take that to mean Post Marine, 042 feet, 016 hull, 1976 model year. Mine does not have the in hull marking, however in Egg Harbor tradition, Post marks components for the hull they are to go in, at least they did back in our day. If you pull the center engine hatches the aft inside of the starboard longitudinal (removable) hatch support will have numbers stamped in it. The last number or numbers is, I believe the hull number. If it isn't, I've lied to many people about mine being 42 #3!;) ;
  11. cptnpete

cptnpete New Member

Thanks, if you are able to zoom in you would see the 6's are actually 5's. Hull 15 built in '75. Which is also what shows on documentation/title documents. My boat also has an original Post plaque with Hull 15 on the mahogany overhead above steps down to galley.

I haven't noticed any other hull ID in the hatch location described (but I do have another boat that has her official stamped hull number but she got a few components marked similar to what you have described for another hull number - the factory was careless I guess - so I trust what is stamped on the hull).

Mine is a glass hull, glass over wood decks and house, glass bridge and was an abandoned boat needing work when I got her. Gas engines (newer 502 BBC). She is going to a new owner soon who will give her the love she needs.

What I don't get is how a newer boat built in '78 would have a lower hull number.
  12. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

You guys are right with your thinking. They start with PMC which is Post Marine Corporation. The '78 is probably hull 111. That is the 4th model year of the 42 so it can't be 11.
  13. Gambetica

Gambetica Member

Attached Files:

14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would say that 17 knots is good with naturals.
  15. Gambetica

Gambetica Member

Cool! We are happy with the 17-18 the boat is making, And my friends of the marina lost the wagger!!! She did more of the 14 they expected!
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Ya know, Ya have to share da wager with us....
    What did we win????
  17. Gambetica

Gambetica Member

Yup, any time you are in venezuela a good rum santa teresa 1796!....
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Our Bert was delivered new to venezuela in '78. The second owner brought her back to the states in '02. Lots of logs and charts still with us. We'd love to come down and take this up directly. We study these old logs and charts every now and then and dream. Getting down there is the hard part with fuel prices. coming back is < half the price if we fuel up there.

If you're ever in south Georgia (North Florida) , I'll buy first round, Not the quality you have, but quantity.

Cheers,
    Ralph & Josie
  19. Gambetica

Gambetica Member

Great story! Love to see those charts :). The gas price here is ridículuos, fuel the 42 post, 1200 liters Its like 10$, Now to american boats, still cheap, in think like 200$.
    Nevertheless, looking foward to those rhums!

Regards

Juan
  20. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    At Curacao, 1200 liters is about $ 1200,- even with the PDVSA refinery here...