Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Abeking

Davit placement 1990 46 post

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by LUCKYDOG 3, Mar 30, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. LUCKYDOG 3

LUCKYDOG 3 New Member

Just purchased 1990 46 post need to know where to mount
    davit and pole
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Once you determine the area where you want to put the load (dinghy, etc.) the most important factor to determine is weight distribution for both the Davit (some are fairly heavy) and what it will lift, not only at rest but also as it lifts whatever out of the water. Next question is where it will be anchored. You don't want the pole coming through the middle of the master berth for instance. I'd recommend having a professional installer go to your boat to give you ideas. I fact for most larger davits I'd recommend having a professional do the job.

It should also be noted that with some davits manufacture, delivery and installation can take several months.
  3. RER

RER Senior Member

Depends on your layout. This one's master stateroom is forward. The davit post is in the guest stateroom closet.

Attached Files:

4. LUCKYDOG 3

LUCKYDOG 3 New Member

Davit

2 bedroom layouy with 2 heads and showers layout
    1000 lb davit nautical structures
    any pics for davit position inside
    thanks
  5. RER

RER Senior Member

We're talking about a closet. There's only so many options. Pick a corner. I think this one is the inboard forward corner. I can't remember ...and if I'm not mistaken it runs down to the stringer - which is preferable.

Why on earth do you need 1,000 lbs capacity? 600 lbs will lift a fully outfitted 11'6" center console Novurania RIB.
  6. LUCKYDOG 3

LUCKYDOG 3 New Member

Thanks davit came from old boat had a engine room fire comming back from block island last aug. Total loss
  7. LUCKYDOG 3

LUCKYDOG 3 New Member

is this a 46
  8. RER

RER Senior Member

Yes. Guest SR has upper/lower berths running athwartships which allows post to be concealed in closet. If your berths are L configuration the post would be exposed at fwd bulkhead between upper berth and headliner.
  9. LUCKYDOG 3

LUCKYDOG 3 New Member

Hello when you get time can you give me a inside pic
    thanks
  10. Davidoc

Davidoc Senior Member

Davit

I have a 91 46 with the 600lb Nautical Structures mounted on the Port side in the the rear master closet corner. I put a late model 9' AB RIB with a 20hp honda 4 stroke and a St. Croix bench seat. I am close to the weight limit with this rig. My davit is the older manual lift, no hydraulics. I had to build an extension to the davit in order to clear the bow rail. Wish I had the 1000 with a hydraulic lift and extension. I hope your's is hydraulic.

David
  11. LUCKYDOG 3

LUCKYDOG 3 New Member

Davit

Mine is an older also has 2 gas assisted cylinders
  12. RER

RER Senior Member

The rig you described weighs around 300lbs.
  13. RER

RER Senior Member

Sorry, don't have one. I was on that boat last week and have no plans to be back onboard anytime soon.
  14. Davidoc

Davidoc Senior Member

AB weight

Thanks I wish that was right. Add on the St. Croix stainless bench seat, a battery, anchor & some chain, fuel and the crazy rig I made out of stainless to lift her and I get an extra 150 or more on the boat. Then I built a SS extension on the davit to clear the rails that weighs another 60lbs.

The hard part is calculating the lifting weight at the tip of the extension. The extension adds 2 more feet to the davits length. If I dont pull the fuel and loose stuff out of the boat before I pull her up from the water, I can stall the winch. I will weigh the boat in a week or so with all the stuff to see the dead weight but I dont know how to calculate the actual load on the davit with the extension. Thanks
  15. Berean

Berean Senior Member

Do any Post 43 owner/operators have a Davit system? If so, what brand davit, model? And where did you mount it?