Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service

RePainting Non Skid on Foredeck

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by coastalgeorge, Jan 28, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. coastalgeorge

coastalgeorge New Member

Ok so I am sure to get a lot of opinions on this one, I am going to repaint the foredeck on my 46. it is currently in very good shape, very minor crack as the deck rounds up towards the toe rails, here and there. I plan on sanding those down, fairing and repainting. currently the deck is AwlGrip Oyster White, which was done three years ago, by the previous owner. but they did not do the non-skid area, just all around it. so I want to do the entire deck including the non-skid and here is my question
    1. do I need to sand the non skid down to bare finish?
    2. can I sand lightly, clean, prime and paint?
    3. in regards to the three year old Awl Grip, can I just lightly sand, prime and paint.
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
  2. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    What we did, grind all small gelcoat cracks down with Angle Grinder Sanding Discs, to bare fiberglass, fill it with 3M Marine High Strength Repair Filler, sand it, and light sand the rest of the deck and paint it (3 times) with Epifanes non-skid (White White)

See: https://epifanes.com/na/store/specialty-items-finishes/non-skid-deck-paint/

Result is great and costs are low and DIY!
  3. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

My foredeck gelcoat can be deadly in the winter with a little snow or ice, I almost went in the drink in Portland Maine one winter shoveling snow and ice.

even in the summer with the wrong shoes the gelcoat (and varnished teak) can be deadly.

more non-skid up front would be a good thing.
  4. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    That's why I did what I did RT46, my wife slipped away on the foredeck during our first trip, and the varnished teak didn't give her any confidence when docking, so I got rid of the varnish too!