Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder

Move generator exhaust outlet

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by P46-Curaçao, Jan 6, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    Is there a reason why my 46 Post has the generator exhaust outlet at the stern, instead of the side?

We mostly sit (and relax) in the back, so noise is an issue.

If there is no reason, could it be moved to the side and have you done it?
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

On SFs, you move more than sit (old school). These days, bones are in use longer and like to relax on board. Originally, my tub had a gen-set exhaust out each side, now both to port, favor anchor off stb/bow when we can.
    My advise; what side is usually down wind when you anchor, punch a 2" hole low and enjoy the cockpit.

I am investigating a 2" line from beam to beam for the small gen-set. I think downwind noise and fumes will self direct.
  3. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

4. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

I have mixed feelings about the exhaust separators for gensets. They are quieter, but I like having the ability to look out and see the water flow to confirm that my genset raw water pump is functioning correctly.

Moving the genset exhaust to either side, be aware that you can get blow back into the cockpit or if it is further forward, the exhaust may make its' way into the salon through a potential open window - not a good scenario. Certainly add a Carbon Monoxide sensor (located low, as Carbon Monoxide is heavier than air) as a necessary precaution.

Any change to the exhaust system piping layout can not adversely affect the exhaust back pressure and should be within the Genset manufacturer specs for back pressure.
  5. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I agree, that's why we often fit a little 1/4" tell-tale outlet above the waterline to see if water is flowing. You can just about hear it or lean over the side to see it.

All your other points are very valid.
  6. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

My guess why they exhaust the gen out the stern:
    1. Try to have the exhaust smell behind the boat when anchored (works OK. Not perfect)
    2. Looks - keep the sides of the boat with as few outlets as possible
    3. Cleaning - much easier to clean the stern than down the side

I'm not aware of any technical reason why you couldn't move it to the side. I would see how the sea water goes by your potential exit at all speeds. If you get a constant flow of water against the hull at that spot, you may need to put something in front of it to deflect the water so it can exhaust or move it to another place along the side.
  7. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

No, it's not; which is why the location recommendation of CO alarms, such as Kidd, is for a dry location with good air circulation.
  8. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

You are right, miss-information on my part, thanks for the correction.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I hate having the water discharged underwater as you can't see the actual flow. A tell tale doesn't tell you much except that there is some flow but not how much

If you route the water discharge just above the water line, you can still see it but don't get much noise.

Personally I don't like side exhausts, if you run the genny a lot you end up with soot. N big deal on short trips but when we spend 3 or 4 weeks in the exumas you the hull side near the wAterline is filthy.
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Some folks overcome this by the use of a brush, soap and elbow grease.

The first two can come from the marine store, the last must be supplied onsite by the operator of the first two or someone hired to operate them :)
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Yeah well... Sure... Easy at the dock, not so easy when away from a dock for a few weeks. Using the tender to clean the hull isn't ideal either...

Feasible on a big boat with a ton of crew but on charter with limitd crew every hour count :)
  12. P46-Curaçao

Wow, great input my friends!

I came to the idea that most of the time we dock backwards with the wind in the back. Now my brand new Onan is on its way to Curaçao, I was thinking how to lower noise, I hope there will be very less or non smoke from my new baby…

But, if maybe I will try to fit a portside exhaust exit with a ‘switch’, so I can change the outlet.
  13. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

P46,
    Do you have a muffler?

I have an 8KW on my 46 with the transom exhaust.
    Sometimes I can just about hear the water splashing but little to no exhaust noise.
    If I am backed into a bulkhead I can hear the exhaust noise from the generator bouncing back.

I think I remember seeing a pic with swim platform on you boat, I might be wrong. Is it possible that the swim platform is helping to amplify the noise?

I have seen a Mainship with an exhaust extension extending past the swim platform.
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The new Onan's are much quieter and don't smoke. A muffler will also help a great deal.
  15. P46-Curaçao

I have an original Onan Aqualift style Marine Muffler, so maybe an extension as RT46 suggested (yes, I have a swim platform) could be an option.
  16. Davidoc

Davidoc Senior Member

Hey P 46, Ralph is helping me on my old ONAN Gen and said you may still have your old exciter available. I am running some tests to see if mine is bad but I was wondering if your old one might be for sale? Thank
  17. P46-Curaçao

Hi Davidoc, I donated mine to a boat building project for older kids without parents. The only used the good engine, so we discarded all other (dirty and rusty) parts, otherwise it would be a pleasure to help you out!
  18. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

How often do you raft up with other boats? one of the main reasons why it is better to have the exhaust out the transom is that you don't dirty the side of your neighbor's boat and create excessive noise and vibration against their hull. I have rafted up alongside boats with generator exhaust that comes out the side and it usually leaves the side of my boat dirty which is not exactly easy to clean.
    just my opinion

GMax
  19. P46-Curaçao

There is always some distance, but will keep this in mind, thnx!
    I bought a brand new Onan generator, and will see how noisy it is and then decide.
  20. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Position of outlets

There is one more point, where sailors may have a little advantage. On sailboats (especially larger ones) you can lead the generator(s) exhaust and the holding tank vent (without any filter) through the top of the mizzen mast. I know, it would look strange, to lead the exhaust past the tower on a SF but on larger MY, you will see the main engine exhaust to the side below the WL and the generator exhaust(s) through the mast. On the large 5-mast square rigger Royal Clipper even the main engine exhausts (twin Cat 3516) go through the masts.

Attached Files: