Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno Click for Westport Click for Westport Click for Delta

Post curiosity

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by olderboater, Jan 6, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I see an incredible Post following here. Now as most of my experience was lakes, I wasn't that aware of them. Honestly, I didn't realize they were still available either, that they had continued to be sold post bankruptcy and now in Maryland rather than New Jersey.

Are the new boats as desirable as the old? What is the special attraction? As a non-sportsfisherman but someone very interested in all the industry, I'm just interested in the perspective of Post owners and fans. Obviously there is something special to make them one of the most discussed boats on this site.

What is the consensus of what led to their demise in their previous form? If the new Post isn't as popular what is preventing it from being so? Have tastes changed or the boats?

I wonder sometimes if the customers desert builders or the builders desert the customers. I see the popularity of older Posts, older Hatteras', and Roamers. I realize the boat and yacht market isn't what it was in 2008 but it wasn't always that large before. Who is getting the business today that once went to Post?
  2. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Oldboater

Others can say it better and will add comments, but for me:

Post has one of the most beautiful, "tough" style looks around - long foredeck, house to the rear of midline, and great cockpit. Its a battlewagon, and turns heads in any marina. The market is not flooded with Post's and generally when you finally pull into that dockspace someboady comes over and says "beautiful boat - who makes it?"

The structural craftmanship and fit and finish are top of the line. Post doesn't overdo hardware, but the stuff that is supplied are high end and generally exceed the thresholds needed for the boat.

They have lived their motto "Qualitity not Quantitiy" in truth.

The Boats are fast and efficiently designed. Some of the Widest beams in their class. Very stable

Creature comforts abound for the family, when not being fished. The salons are hugh by comparison to others.

Maryland, I believe has all the old molds and has added some new ones. My hope is as the economy abounds so does Post.

I have no insight into the companies finances, but I suspect the gelcoat propblem that Post and Viking had, hit Post's bottom line pretty hard. Post was never a "mill" (not suggesting Viking is) so they had less of a market base to survive that problem, and the one two punch of the 2008 market plunge

When you step on a Post, you just can feel the quality.

And most of all - most Post owners are fanatics and use their boats.

Post does not have an owner's forum that I know off, So we are all very appreciative of Carl's hard work in creating this one, and allowing us aboard!
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

POST folks are cool. Da boats are cool also, but it's their (owners) passion here that make it fun. I only wish a Bertram group could get together like these kids do.
    I'm looking at an old Post down the dock and I cry every time I walk by. I may need to forget about a few island trips and make an offer. With the kids on these threads, I'm sure I could bring her up again.
    Oh, this Post has pancake 6-71TIBs. Big saloon fer me.
    ,rc
  4. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    Go for it Ralph, we all support you anyway we can!!
  5. olderboater

I think perhaps once Hatteras and Bertram owners were more passionate. I'm a bit surprised more builders don't sponsor owner's clubs or associations and web forums. I think part of the web hesitancy is negativity but I'd say Sea Ray owners, as an example are pretty passionate. The most active owner's associations I'm aware of is Grand Banks. I know as we get into larger yachts it's less practical just because of the fewer number of boats and owners. Still I think active owners groups can help and social media, which I don't really care for or participate in, is becoming more important and shouldn't be ignored by builders. I understand why someone like Chris Craft doesn't as there is little connection to their boats of the past. Now, for larger boats, it would be great to see more owners passionate on YF.
  6. sheraton

sheraton Member

I owned a 1968 37' Post, she was fast,handled great,and turned heads at any marina. The wife wanted something newer, so I bought a Egg Harbor 36'. Have had it now for a few years now and the wife tells me I miss the POST!! So here I am In the market for a 42 POST
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Posts are a good boat for what they are but have their limitations. They're roomy due to their beam both inside and outside and relatively fast and fuel efficient do to their flatter aft sections. They tend to be fairly wet from what I've experienced. They tend to be pretty well built from what I've seen and pretty well thought out.

What did Post in. They never ever updated their interiors during the 2000's and they looked very dated then compared to their peers. The Gelcoat issue was another nail in the coffin and the turndown was the chainsaw. I also think their exterior styling could've been updated a little better......Also their 56' that they put a lot of money, time, and R+D in was a flop.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Quoting an old movie;
    Thank you for your support!!

Send cash!!!

Naw, I know I'm daydreaming. Maybe the FL lottery..
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I'm not quite following you here? Speaking English will help. What I was saying with the interior styling. Is in the early 2000's Post never kept up with their Peers, Cabo started building boats in their size range with very nice interiors exteriors, Viking started building a really nice styled boat inside and out, hatteras as well, and Post lost their place in the lineup. I remember HMY had a new 50' Post then, and they were selling Vikings like crazy then, and nobody would even want to look at the post, and if they did a salesman told me many of them turned around right after they opened the salon door. The interiors were very dark and dated when everyone else was lightening up their interiors. The 42's and 46's also could be downright scary in a following sea.

Ocean Yachts did the same thing. Ocean sold a TON of boats in the 1980's and 1990's, way more than Post ever did. Mainly because they were the first to achieve a 30 knot cruise in a production SF on most all of their boats, and their boats had a good look to them in the 80's and 90's, even though they had a flexible flier reputation and seperating issues. In the 2000's they too failed to update styling. A 2003 boat looked just like their 1987 boat, nobody wanted a new but old looking SF anymore and everyone surpassed them on cruise speed. They just about fell off of the face of the earth. Look at Azimut's, the interior and exterior Styling is the ONLY thing that sells those engineering nightmares.
  11. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    Capt J, hope my English is good enough, with 7,974 posts, you could know Ralph (rcrapps) and his own style of communication. Even I (with only 199 posts) and with a Dutch background, need to read his comments sometimes twice or more, but respect Ralph’s style, please do so!

On topic, Post has his own style too, and as I see it, it’s a niche brand and you like it…or not!

But we like it, find ourselves lucky to owe one and put our hart and sole in it, everyone in its own way…

We like to help each other, share experiences and knowledge to keep them in great shape!

(that’s all I wanna say)
  12. Soulstice

Soulstice Member

So are just about any SF in the same size run by an inexperienced captain. I have been on Vikings, Oceans, ETC and they all run the same in following seas.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It's not true that they all run the same in following seas. Cabo's, Vikings, and Carolina Classics all run straight in a following sea. They don't just decide they're going to make a 90 degree turn all on their own. Some Ocean's can be scary in a following sea as the 42' and 46' Posts as well........
  14. Soulstice

Soulstice Member

All boats have their issues. Cabo's are wet and pound like hell. A 38 Viking I was on didn't handle great in following seas but was more comfortable than most. Some Bertrams and Tiara's I have been on sucked in a following sea and pounded in a head sea. I have been on downeast's that people swear by that become submarines in a following sea. I have only been on Posts from 2000 and up and the 42, 47, and 50 weren't bad in a following sea. I don't have any experience in the older Posts.

I am not trying to start an argument but offer another opinion. There are certainly other boats that handle better but Post's are by no means poor handling boats. They handle various conditions very well especially in the hands of a good Captain.
  15. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Ok, sorry but some of the below thoughts seem somewhat random,
    so sorry for the flow:

I think:

Post is a great boat, I own one and I am extremely happy with mine.

I have a 46 and I have to agree it can be an handful in a following sea. My prior boat was a 35 Viking and it tracked like train but was a pounder and wet boat.

With my 46 Post, in a following sea, It is important to keep the tabs up and be aware of you weight on the bow especially if you are crossing a bad inlet. Also use the gas pedal when you need to....

The stern has almost no deadrise in my boat.

The main disadvantage of the low deadrise is how the boat handles in a following sea.
    The main advantage of the low deadrise is how stable the boat is on the troll, drift, or at anchor. It is rock solid, not a rocker.

I have been almost rocked silly on a 46 Bert and 45 Hat where my Post would be rock steady with no snap roll.

I agree, The Bert, and Hat are better head sea boats than the Post.

But, As I get older, when it is really snotty out, I stay at the dock....

I can comfortable handle 4' to 6' on the 46 Post and I rarely venture into the open water if the forecast is more than 3' to 5'.
    I have been caught out there in some pretty snotty conditions and the 46 Post handled much better than I expected.

BTW, I think, The 45 Viking and 46 Bert's are just as wet as the Post in a head sea.

The Viking and Bert tracks much better but they are rockers compared to the Post.

The Bert, Viking, and Hat require much more power for the same speed because of the sharper dead rise. More power=more maint=more cost=more fuel....

Post's lines are classic Jersey SF, you can have a restored older Post that looks just as good as a shiny new one.

I think the interior of the Post beats them all.

So for a SF that can back into any marina with pride and be comfortable for the family on extended trips, you cant beat a Post.

Oh yea one more thing, in response to another 'post' in this thread:
    I think some of the reasons that Viking survived is the scale of their business, the brand name, and their exceptional customer service.
    Don't the Healeys own like half or more of New Gretna?

I am waiting to see the rebirth of Post through the new owners.

One final thing, my last boat was a Viking, my current boat is a 46 Post and my next boat will be a 50 Post.......
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I understand what you're saying. But take a ride on an older 42' and 46' Post in a following sea and you will understand exactly what I and RT are saying (and he's an owner), they can be downright scary at times.

The newer Cabo's from 1999 on aren't wet and don't pound and are a good riding boat all of the way around. Every hull is a compromise. Some are better than others in certain areas. Vikings are pretty stable on the troll (the 2000 or newer ones), not the best head sea boat but very good in a beam or following sea. The Hatteras 54' is a great riding boat and a few others in their lineup are very good. I'm not knocking Post, I gave them credit where they are due. I was also pleased with the ride and speed on a 2001 50', but it was still on the wet side but did have a tender/davit on the bow.
  17. olderboater

One of the things I see in this Post ride and handling comparison to others is you can't simply group all models from all years. There may be common characteristics but there are surely some differences. It reminds me of Consumer's Report when they used to rate outboards and they'd compare one brand's 40 hp to another's 50 hp and the 50 hp always won.
  18. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Hi,

I always attributed the following sea problem on the 42's to the 13 foot Whaler on the bow and a 20 hp motor. The weight of all that and the gear as well.
    We've got a 9 foot inflatable on the bow, 80 Lbs. I never had an issue with following seas IF they were right on my tail. Lifting the tabs to get the bow high was always my saving grace. Quartering seas are a handful though.

I'm with RT about when to go, except ,on the Chesapeake, I think in terms of wind more than wave height. At 10 knots, I'm going. 15 knots, depending on from what direction, I'm going. 20 knots....... I really have to WANT to get to some destination to go and over 20 I'll prolly stay at the dock or anchor nearby.
    I've only ever been on the ocean when it was a nice day and that's only a handful of times. The only inlets I've experienced are Cape May and into the Cape May canal from the Delaware bay.
    The C.B. and some on the Delaware is where all my experience lies. .... truthfully. :)

I also always thought the Berts and Hats and Vikings were more " Handsome" boats where the Post was more " sexy" looking. The lines appeal to me more and still do today.

CaptJ is right that Post didn't change their style like, say, Hat , did with the Euro-stlye boats. To that I sat, "Thank Goodness". I think the Euro style sport fish boats are not as pretty, not even close.

Being a traditional guy, I like the traditional boat. I like the interior woodwork and trim. I believe Post made a solid boat with timeless lines.
    Once again, I like expedition yachts more than the one that look line a jet plane....That's why they make chocolate and vanilla I suppose.

As P46 said, maybe its a niche market or a cult boat now but I'll take it. :)
  19. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Chesp46,

I am sure the Chesapeake can get really nasty when the wind kicks up a short chop.

We also consider the wind and how far apart the waves are in my assessment of the weather and conditions.

My Post is run recreationally, as I get older and have more and more time on the water there is nowhere I "have" to get to.

in the Northeast, there is nothing better than spending a few extra days off from work at Block Island to wait for the wind and seas to lay down.
    (it seams to happen every time I go, ha ha)
  20. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Adult Hooky, ... I like it.