Click for Mulder Click for JetForums Click for Glendinning Click for Walker Click for Mag Bay

Vanity Lights ?

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by kubu, Nov 25, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. kubu

kubu Member

RT46 sparked the interest in this idea but I have hated the vanity lights on both sides of the mirror in the master stateroom and the guest stateroom from day 1. I have painted them to make the brass look go away but the bulbs drive me NUTS:eek: Has anybody replaced these awful lights and would like to put some "light" (ha ha ) on the situation?
  2. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Kube,

I agree, id like to see what others have done with those lights.

I need to put the amp meter on to see how much juice they draw.
    They seem to give off a lot of heat so I bet they suck power.

Sometimes, when Im on the hook running off the inverter I unscrew all of them but one just enough so only one lights. My crew loves to leave these lights on after closing the door behind them.

The screw in replacement LED lights are ugly, so that's why I haven't changed the vanity lights to LED.
  3. Belle

Belle Member

You talking the ones in the stateroom or the bath? Bulbs with softer light. Dimmer switches. Then you want to do more work, the problem is they're aimed at you. Nowhere else do you aim lights at yourself. It's not you you want to see, it's you in the mirror. So overhead or sconces or any means that shine down not out. Even encase them sort of like a soft lens thing that comes out and around so they're not directly visible but still illuminating down. Fixture coming out from the wall, bending down and globes encasing the lights. Oh and I'm with you on the brass. Sort of brassy. I like softer. Especially when I'm just waking.
  4. kubu

kubu Member

Yea I have all ready put them on dimmer switches and use the soft bulbs they just look like crap !!
  5. Belle

Belle Member

Go on a lighting site or Amazon and do a search for vanity lights. You'll see some great options off sconces, facing down in globes. Soft white fixtures. When we bought our house we replaced the lights in every bathroom.
  6. Belle

Belle Member

Vanity Lights.jpg

This is just an example of the type I'm talking about. Not this particular one. I prefer softer and smaller globes.
  7. ruby

ruby Member

The big problem in the heads are that there is not much room to work with, the master head isn't too bad ;but the guest head is real narrow from the wall to the medicine chest.
  8. Belle

Belle Member

Well, I don't think it will have to be anything unique to boats so you might find something just going to a lighting fixtures store. Even Lowes and Home Depot carry a lot. But some of these places fully dedicated to lighting are amazing and if they don't have it in the size you need, they'll get it.
  9. ruby

ruby Member

It doesn't have be unique to a boat, the problem is that you have holes for screws and wiring to contend with and not to mention discolored teak veneer underneath the old fixtures.
  10. kubu

kubu Member

Ruby, that is the problem I noticed when I took my units of to paint them. Holes and the discoloration limit your options.
  11. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Are you talking about the head or main saloon?

Anyone complains about the discoloration, hand them a bucket and tell them to enjoy the view on the poop deck, aft.