Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Delta Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn

Winterizing MAN's on 2003 56 Post

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by ESSRTEE8, Oct 28, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ESSRTEE8

ESSRTEE8 Member

New to me 2003 Post 56 with D2842LE404 1300hp motors.

I need to winterize soon. On my last boat I would take to intake water hose off seacock and put in bucket. This boat has 3" hoses and without breaking them free from the seacock fitting to do the bucket method I had a thought.

On the seawater pump and the hard pipe coming off the pump, there are brass plugs. Is it possible for me to shut the seacock and us a pump to push the pink thru either of these ports and thru the motors. The water discharge hose coming off the motor going the exhaust is positioned low enough so that water will not go back into the motor via the exhaust pipes. Not sure what type and size of the thread. Looks metric and fine thread too.

I was hoping to not have to disturb the hoses coming off the seacock as this can be a challenge to get them off. The only other thought was to use the crash pumps. I can plug the limber holes and file the section between the stringers with pink and have the crash pumps do there thing.

Thoughts on my ideas?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

crash pumps are easy, just put a bucket in there and pour more as needed.....or we just do it through the sea-strainers, take the lid off, have a big jug above it with a hose (with a valve) running into the open sea-strainer and run the motor and add at the same time.
  3. ESSRTEE8

ESSRTEE8 Member

Not strainers in the engine room. South bay strainers on the bottom.

The way the crash pumps is setup, I can get a large enough container in there. Maybe a 1 gallon container. I might have to rig up a 5 gallon pail to feed into the 1 gallon.

I was hoping the just pump it through. Might hav to get creative with the crash pump.
  4. Sea Gull

Sea Gull Member

5. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

Found this pic online of another 56. Should be your setup?

Short term - this may sound a bit crazy but what about a heavy duty garbage\leaf bag. Fill it with the 4-5 gallons and let it draw from that to keep everything clean. Maybe a small strainer of some sort in the bag around the pickup to keep the bag from blocking?

Long term, what about replacing the 90 elbow with a 3 way bronze valve? Then you can screw a host barb into the other opening and just divert to which pickup. Hard part may be finding the size since it looks like 2" or more. But this would make future years super easy.

Attached Files:

6. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Odd that Post never installed strainers. I do my 820's like this. I have jigged up a cap from plumbing fittings that goes into the end of the seawater outlet running into the muffler (inch and quarter?). I then open the bleed screw on top of the water pump, careful to catch/redirect the saltwater that flows out, and the bleed screw at the bottom of the thru hull fitting (after I close the valve.) I then pump the pink thru the discharge hose until it comes out the pump and the thru hull. Sounds complicated, but easy once you've jigged up a hose fitting.
  7. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

Have you shown us other photos of that boat? Sounds nice. 1300hp ... she goes too!
  8. ESSRTEE8

ESSRTEE8 Member

That pic shows how my setup is exactly.

Hose and pipes are 3". Big.

The soft bucket might work or a small garbage can that I can feed with a 5 gallon pail with fitting on the side. I wish they would give better options to winterize when they build them. I hate to try and dis assemble the plumbing. Not much room and after 10 years it won't come apart without a fight.

Beau, The hose going into the exhaust pipe is in a tough place to get to. Plus it's 3" hose which is big and hard to remove, again, without a fight.

Pumping forward thru the bleed screw was my first thought about doing it. Do you think it could be done if I pump thru the 2 bleed screws?
  9. ESSRTEE8

ESSRTEE8 Member

At her home dock.

_for-web.jpg
  10. ESSRTEE8

ESSRTEE8 Member

I think this is the only active forum on this whole site.

Keep it up guys.
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

What exactly does that comment mean?

There are many other postings elsewhere on here in many threads , just not in the thread on this particular brand of yacht.
  12. weto

weto Senior Member

Nice boat, ODD comment !:confused:
  13. ESSRTEE8

ESSRTEE8 Member

You guys go on any other boating forums?
  14. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

ARE there other boating forums ? :confused:
  15. ESSRTEE8

ESSRTEE8 Member

I don't think so.
  16. captaintilt

captaintilt Senior Member

Wow, she's gorgeous.

I'm going to be the first to say, that I typically like to see OR's on a Sportfish, but she looks great without them as well. Beautiful!!!
  17. ESSRTEE8

ESSRTEE8 Member

I think you're right, I like it without the riggers.
  18. captaintilt

captaintilt Senior Member

Some Sportfish look completely "out of sync" without a Tower or OR's, but the proportions and lines of yours are "spot on". The last Post that I saw was a mid-90's and much smaller, so to see a 2003 look that good is a nice treat!
  19. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

I installed strainers on my 46 Post
  20. ESSRTEE8

ESSRTEE8 Member

I wish I could, bt 3" strainers are big as well. Don't have the space.