Click for Northern Lights Click for Cross Click for Burger Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service

12 volt water pump

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by ruby, Oct 7, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ruby

ruby Member

My 46 Post has a 110 electric water pump, I was thinking that it would be a great idea to have a 12 volt water pump just in case the generator was not operational. If anyone has pics of what they have done I would to see them
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Tee in before and after the pump, out in some shot off valves before and after each pump and you re done.

Stay away from the electronic variable speed shureflo, personally I ve always had issues with these both on my own hatt and the Johnson 70 I run....first I thought it was because of the hatt 32v system but the 24v version wasn't reliable either. I switched to standard pressure switch version.

A can't imagine a boat without two pumps.... Loosing water pressure means game over.
  3. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    I replaced the (very) old pump configuration (12 and 110volt) with a Flojet High Volume Water Pressure System,
    see: Flojet - High Volume Water Pressure System

A placed it at the location of the 110 volt pump set, at the left rear of the port engine, to get more freedom of movement in front of the engine.
  4. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

I asked this same thing to and got all kinds of interesting feedback:

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/post-yacht/18364-adding-12v-fresh-water-pump.html

Easy project I did last winter. I found the T fitting online from a landscape irrigation vendor. Parts used for underground lawn sprinklers. I pulled out the pressure gauge and put the pump output into that with a hose barb fitting. Has worked great. I didn't get involved with shut off valves and isolating this pump - I'm not away at sea for days where this would be good to have.

I was surprised to find the pressure much better with the 12V than the 110. I tend to use only the 12V now. Great when anchoring like you mentioned.

Attached Files:

5. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

You don't really need the shut off valves, just put a check value at the outlet of each pump and your all set.
  6. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

I have the same set up.

The well pump seem to have a bit more pressure but also needs more juice to start the motor.

The 12 V pump is quieter and has almost as much pressure.

I use the 12v pump when on the inverter or when at a marina that doesn't have 50 A service.
  7. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

Same here.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The shut off valves allow you to isolate each pump for service, otherwise yes check valves will do just fine.

Sooner or later you will have to pull one of the pump for service, may as well be ready.

It s not just about pressure, just about any pump can put out good pressure, it s also about flow and volume.