Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko

Had the boat hauled

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by ruby, Oct 1, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ruby

ruby Member

Had zincs changed and pressure washed, I think I may have to try prop speed, next time. I felt like it was a tire change at a Nascar race, in and out and back at dock in an hour and forty minutes.

Attached Files:

2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

A short haul for zincs and pressure. Why not just hire a diver, a lot cheaper...

Also a lot cheaper to have a diver clean the boat monthly than paying for prop speed... That stuff is $$$$. When I did the math, it just didn't add up
  3. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Ruby,

that really doesn't look too bad.

Id like to try the prop speed next year also.

I did not put a lot of hours on the Post this season and ended up growing a barnacle farm on the props and shafts. it took me over an hour with the hooka last month to clear the props and shafts before a trip out east.

RT46
  4. ruby

ruby Member

I had stripped the bottom and barrier coated it last season, and have noticed through my years in the marine business, that most of these divers get a little too aggressive when they are cleaning the bottom. If they catch a little nub in the bottom paint they always seem to take some paint with it, I have a friend who had his boat hauled for the winter last fall and I noticed the same kind of paint chips and nicks from divers work. I will pass on that, most divers get 100-200 to clean the bottom on a boat this size and depending on how bad it is, and what ever they get to change the zincs. I was in and out for under 500, and was able to visually inspect everything on my own for some piece of mind. Not to mention all the through hulls or engine pick ups were checked and cleaned.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Our divers in Jax FL use ScotchBright pads softly to clean silt and scum from the hulls every month. NEVER a scrapper.
    Running gear can never hold any paint treatment so a blade may have to be used if the boat does not get run often.

Hull cleaning is a monthly event. Once the paint is covered with silt or slime, you loose. The best paint in the world can not protect under a covering of silt.

There is a moral there; used the boat often.
  6. ruby

ruby Member

I agree with using the boat often, unfortunately due to an injury that is impossible for me, although I think my bottom held up great and there was only a few barnacles on the running gear. My intakes were clean and there was no problem with vibrations at all so I was lucky. In NY some of the divers use what ever it takes to clean a hull, I see 1 diver who has the scotch pads and he also has scrapers for the tough stuff, I will continue to do what I do. The only reason I pulled the boat was because it will stay in this winter and I wanted to see how things were holding up. I will use the boat until the snow flies.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Guys, on Long Island Prop-speed won't even come close to paying for itself. All you need do is hire a diver about the 3rd week in August, and use the boat ocassionally, and she'll stay clean. The key though with boats is to keep them moving. If you can't run your boat every 2 weeks or so hire someone to take it out and slow cruise for half an hour. Not only the growth, but it keeps everything lubricated.
    Mind if I ask what they get for a short haul these days. Last time I short hauled it was $100 for a 31', inlcluding pulling off a crab pot and sharpening the blades. (A long time ago).
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Down here with a monthly diver cleaning, I get two years between haul out and bottom paint, and believe me with CAT Digitals I can see right away if the diver did a good job or not... I don't even have to get the bill to know whether the boat has just been cleaned or if it is about to be, it can be as much as 6gph

Paint may show some wear near the water line but still last two years.

Diver will check the zincs and replace as needed and check all the thru hull screens too

Down here a short haul for a 70 footer is around $10 a ft, although some yard can be more. Seems that it's more up north, I think I paid $15 at Fairhaven shipyard a couple of years ago, and had gotten higher quotes in Newport.

When the boat used to spend the summer in Nantucket, no cleaning was needed thru summer but there was definitely some growth on the he props by mid sept. I would think its worst on LIS as the water is a little warmer.
  9. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    We go out 2 times a week, all year around (lucky me), so hope my fresh painted (micron 66) Post will last for at least one year!

And we pay $ 8,- per ft for haul and launch.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I was talking specific to Long Island, because that's where Ruby hails from. When I was in Lauderdale my boat ran every day, but at the end of 13 months she was a freakin coral reef under there. Up here we get grass, but barnacles don't grow until mid-August.
  11. ruby

ruby Member

I was given a gift at 10 bucks a foot, as I said previously I would rather spend a few hundred more once a season than pay a diver monthly during the season, this year other boats seemed to have a lot more growth due to the warmer weather. Although I didn't seem to have anything to be concerned about on my boat. I am in the second season since I re-did my bottom and finished it with 2 heavy coats of micron extra. It has definitely kept the slime and growth down to a minimum.
  12. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

We did a short haul in June and cleaned the gear.
    I had not run the boat much in the spring and it needed it.

Since then, we've run the boat every weekend w/o fail.
    from 20 minutes to a couple hrs and everywhere in between.

Still, the slim, she grows......:(
  13. ruby

ruby Member

My brother had his boat on the Chesapeake a few years ago and the bottom was fouled very quickly, it is true you have to use them. Some times real life situations doesn't always make that possible.
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Once again, hire someone to move it ocassionally. Put on too few hours and you could be looking at rebuilding motors, etc.. Much cheaper (and better for the boat) to hire someone every few weeks to take her off the dock.
    The slime is no problem. It'll barely slow you down, and comes off easily with a medium brush. Generally it'll only be found where the sun hits it, so is easily reached.
    In the waters around here (assuming that you leave her in all year) you should have a diver go down in the spring to change the zincs and clean the bottom and running gear. Then towards Labor Day have him go down again to clean. I believe you also said that you're coming up on two years with the paint. That boat should be hauled and left for a season for the hull to dry out.
    Not to say this is you, but I see far too many people in this industry who try to save a couple hundred and it often costs them thousands.
  15. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Why would you want to do that?
  16. ruby

ruby Member

When I pulled my boat last week I wanted to check the bottom and make sure everything was holding up well, why would I want to haul my boat and keep it out for a season? I stripped the hull to the gelcoat, and at that time there were no spots that had moisture readings that were elevated, we did the interlux 2000 barrier coat system, presently I have no blisters and no water in my bilges so there is no possibility of osmotic blistering from either side. I do believe in drying a hull if there are problems, I do recommend pressure washing a boat when it is hauled and let it sit a few days to dry prior to sanding the bottom and re-coating bottom paint, as long as there are no blisters. No reason for my boat to stay out more than a week to repaint bottom and properly clean running gear.
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

To repaint, inspect for blisters, and fiberglass does absorb moisture. On the Hat we found her to be stem to stern blisters with water weeping through in at least one spot. Better if that had been found and dealt with 5 years ago.

I won't quote any scientific data. I just learned to always let a fiberglass boat dry out every couple of years.
  18. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Blisters will indeed require a little more time to dry and repair but otherwise I don't know anyone who is going to keep their boat on the hard one full season just to dry... Haul out, pressure wash, inspect and paint a day or two later, launch.

Between the fuel getting old, machinery sitting and a lot of money just depreciating, it makes no sense...
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

And that's the difference between a northern and southern boater. It's also one of the reasons I steer my client to northern boats whenever possible. BTW, for the fuel we now have an item called fuel stabelizer.:rolleyes: Everything else gets drained and winterized.

You've probably noticed many times on here where it was recommended that people buying boats have a moisture check done.
  20. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

And I've also seen Northern boats grenade motors on seatrial because the motors sat for 8 months a year. It goes both ways. Sitting isn't good for a lot of the machinery and parts on a boat either. In most modern boats, I see relatively few blisters.....hardly ever actually on boats 1990 or newer.....nothing like you did on boats from the 60's, 70's, and 80's.