Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Cross Click for Mag Bay Click for Furuno

Genset would not shut off

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by ruby, Oct 1, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ruby

ruby Member

On my 1986 46 Post, the original 8.0 Onan runs great and fires right up, yesterday after running more than 8 hours I went to shut it down from the remote panel and it did not shut down, I went into the engine room and attempted to shut it down from the panel on the genset and it did not shut it down. I had to use the red button on the genset panel to shut down. I attempted to re-start the genset, and it did start with no problems but I then just pulled the solenoid on the fuel arm(for lack of better term) and it did shut off. Maybe it is that solenoid that is bad?:confused:
  2. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

I have a service manual with the control wiring diagram for 4.5 to 12 Kw sets.
    The manual reprint is dated 1983.
    I could scan it for you if you want.
    Get me the model # though. The manual is for many models.

Did the fuel solenoid try to pull back in after you manually pulled the linkage back ?
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

That is where to start;
    Was a relay holding the fuel solenoid in electrically or is it mechanically sticking and not relaxing to the off position.
  4. ruby

ruby Member

Thanks for the replies guys, I did have to pull the linkage that is attached to the solenoid to stop the generator, I found two bad connections inside the box where the hour meter is on the generator. I changed out two connectors and tightened them down. The original connectors squashed down from tightening and as they aged the were not making good contact. End of Story