Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder Click for MotorCheck Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger

Yet another new Post 46 "wannabe-owner"!

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Gray-Sea, Aug 4, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Gray-Sea

Gray-Sea Member

Hey folks, I've been a research voyeur here for a while, using this forum to glean untold amounts of information! :) I figured I should check in, say hello, and hopefully get some encouragement in my boating obsession/habit. :D

My wife and I are very seriously considering making an offer on a 1985 Post 46 with 671Ts. I'm reading up on both the boat and the motors on this and other forums, but this section has by far provided the best information!

Exterior condition of this boat is fair to very good. The cockpit is a little rough, but it has been fished and used, and it shows beautifully for its age. The "little custom Post ideas" thread has greatly added to the ideas we've already been batting around about things to change.

The dated interior just needs a little love, and presuming the hull and the motors survey out well, a reasonable amount of money would immediately solve the cosmetic dislikes we have, and turn this diamond-in-the-rough into a beautiful sportfisher that borders on our being our dream vessel.

I'm thinking flag blue hull with a cream boot stripe, yank the bow rail, and cream nonskid in the cockpit and on the foredeck. New carpeting all around, update the appliances in the galley, peel off that disgusting wall paper, new sinks in the heads, and it's time to go fishing!!! Maybe some new electronics too on that AWESOME flybridge.
  2. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    Hello Gray-Sea,

I bought my 1981 Post 46 in February this year and still busy updating before I ship it at the end of this month, to Curacao, where I live permanently (Hollywood, FL is my second home).

I must advice you to go for an extensive survey incl. the engines and sea trail, it will cost you around a grand, but is well worth the money. I received a 40 page report, which I used as a guide to refinish/update my Post.

Be aware, nothing is cheap, my engines where 100% ok, but it still took 10k to update them to a 100% condition and another 10k to do shafts, seals, rudders and props.

Interior depends on your taste, I made the mistake not to keep it simple, so paid 15k, but if had done it myself mostly, I would end up with a nice configuration at around 5-7k.

Electronics update will cost at least 2-5k if you do the most yourself.
    Upholstry and enclosure (if needed) could set you back another 5k at least.

So, look carefully at the current state of the Post and understand, nothing is cheap, but if the purchase price is right, well worth to spend the money!!
  3. Gray-Sea

Gray-Sea Member

P46, thanks for the info and your input! I very much appreciate it. I don't think any of us get into boating to save money, or be miserly with it. Except maybe blow-boaters, of course! :D

I've got a surveyor lined up, and a friend of mine is an experienced Detroit mechanic. He agreed to survey the engines for me (including oil samples) but if he can't do it, I will use the Detroit mechanic local to the boat.

I expect the interior rehab can be done for the lower end of the figure you mentioned ($7k at the most, and that's only if we really get crazy with it). The current owner made many upgrades within the last three years, so if I needed to dump $20k into the motors to make them useable, I will have to pass on the deal. They were overhauled less than 2000 hours ago, and my mechanic buddy says they should be good to go for at least 2000 more.

The bridge enclosure is new. Vinyl on the flybridge all looks good, however the foam has about had it. The electronics don't have to be replaced, but to make me happy, that would be an "early next year" kind of project.

This is more exciting than any other boat we've purchased or looked at, but we are smart enough to not make emotional decisions about our obsession. The time for emotion is when someone is yelling "FISH ON!" in the cockpit or I'm gulping a cold beer dockside. ;)
  4. Gray-Sea

Gray-Sea Member

PS - I was incorrect in my original post; the motors are 410hp 671TIs.
  5. P46-Curaçao

Regarding the engines, I was advised to do a compression test (not an easy job) and have the mechanic look into the cylinders.

Checking oil samples is only useful if the oil is not changed recently, and what I have heard…costly

Mine are 6-71TIs too
  6. ruby

ruby Member

Depending on if the boat was trolled- which is a killer of Detroit's. Two thousand hours is getting close to its max age before needing cylinder kits. I don't think that another two thousand hours are going to happen without all kinds of smoke when they are running. As far as updating the boat, you have to consider many things. The condition of the bottom(blisters or peeling), to properly do the bottom with interlux products will cost near 2500 for materials, alone then the cost of hauling and blocking boat. That job is a labor intensive job, the thru hulls and sea cocks could cost you close to 1000, to completely re-carpet a 46 Post you will need a 15x25 carpet to do the entire boat, labor and materials for good quality carpet could cost 1200-1500, headliners, seat reupholstery, and new bedding could easily cost 6000-10,000. Don't forget appliances and if the heads need replacing or changing systems, finding a refrigerator that properly fits is almost impossible, if you look at some of my past posts it will show those replacements. Also installation of a new tv without hacking the interior takes much patience and tlc.
  7. P46-Curaçao

I agree, I was told; mine are as healthy as expected after 32 years because owner went most of the time from Ft Lauderdale to the Bahamas and back during all these years…
  8. Gray-Sea

Gray-Sea Member

Wow you guys really went the other way with this one.

Maybe I should go back to a 28' express like everyone else! :)
  9. P46-Curaçao

Just forgot to mention, I had about 6-700 blisters, cost me 5k and I was very lucky!
  10. Gray-Sea

Gray-Sea Member

Salon upholstery is all new. Appliances and TV are new, except I would yank the stove and put in a cooktop and new countertops.
  11. Gray-Sea

Gray-Sea Member

No blisters as of the 2010 survey! Haha you boys have me worried but I do appreciate your candor!
  12. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Gray sea

Just realistic advice from good folks that have done it. The final products, when done properly, are gorgeous. Good luck with your adventure, and keep us "posted". I've never seen a dark hull Post, would be interesting to see. If you are in the south does that present additional interior heat questions? Dunno
  13. Gray-Sea

Gray-Sea Member

Roger that, like I said I really do appreciate your candor. :)
  14. P46-Curaçao

I’m just try to be realistic, I spend 70k to update my Post 46 and was extremely lucky the seller was more interested in a dedicated new owner, then the money (sorry if did not pronounced it right in English)
  15. Gray-Sea

Gray-Sea Member

And I thank you for it, good sir!

I will let you guys know how it turns out. :)
  16. Gray-Sea

Gray-Sea Member

Beau, I've never heard of appreciable heat issues, however it is definitely an upkeep headache. But it looks SO gorgeous, and classic!
  17. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

You are getting all good advice here.

I have a 46 Post with Detrioits and my family and I are extremely happy.
    The boat has exceeded my expectaitons and is extremely well built.

I did see that Curaco reported having blisters. It is my understanding that Posts are not know to suffer from blisters. I have not seen a single blister on my Post nor on anyother Post that I have seen. There was a gelcoat issue in the 90's (I think). It is my understanding that the gelcoat problem was from the supplier and not a "Post" problem. Vikings of the same vintage also had gelcoat problems.

FYI, regarding the 671 TIs, As a generalization, the cost of rebuilding the engines cost around 2-3 k per hole. So on the low end you can rebuild an engine for 12K. But, You can also tripple that if you do the "might as wells".

The maint on a 671 TI is fairly simple and is DIY friendly. I do the maint and repair myself, but I do use a tech to adjust or run the rack.

The great thing about the Detroits is that an experienced Detroit tech can give you a really good idea of the condition and life left on the engine with a simple borescope through the air box.

One thing to consider is the gears behind the Detriots. Alot of vintage Posts came with Capitol Gears. The Capitols can be a real pain to repair and get parts for. I have the Capitols and it cost me a mint to rebuild one. Parts are available through a few sources but you are going to pay for them.

Good luck, if you buy the boat i really dont think you will be unhappy with it.

The only think I dont like about my 46 Post is that is not a 50 Post.....
  18. Gray-Sea

Gray-Sea Member

Thanks for the heads up on the Capitol transmissions.

I wondered if 2 (or 4) foot-itis would continue even in boats of this size...haha.
  19. P46-Curaçao

Just to show you...

Just to show you...

s2013-06-29 09.45.jpg