Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for Walker Click for Mulder Click for Perko

Replacing Fwd. AC unit in Post 46

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by kubu, Jun 3, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. kubu

kubu Member

Hey guys need some advice. It is time to replace my original AC Unit in fwd. stateroom. Currently it is a 9,000 btu Cruise-Air unit. Any advice on a good replacement? Thinking of stepping up the BTU as in S.C. it gets pretty hot in the fwd. stateroom which is the master.
  2. spreda

spreda New Member

I just replaced a 12 year old Cruisair 16K with one of their new turbo models... it was a smaller footprint and the wiring mapped to the new unit easily. So far a winner... cooler and quieter.
  3. kubu

kubu Member

Was this in one of the state rooms or main saloon? Split unit or self contained?
  4. spreda

spreda New Member

Boat is a Maxum 46 SCB... unit replaced is in the salon. Self contained with a dedicated pump (doesn't share with fwd system).

Steve
  5. coastalgeorge

coastalgeorge New Member

HVAC chiller heat pump

i would love to install a chiller, anybody done that upgrade yet? makes for quiet operation in the state rooms. and better distribution of air with multiple air handlers.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The chillers are quieter. They are also a pain in the butt on smaller yachts. Every a/c unit is stuck with heat or a/c, but not both, just what the chiller is on. I've never seen a chilled water system on a small yacht that didn't need topping up of water fairly often. You have insulated hoses running throughout the boat, they are a pain to change when the insulation goes bad. The chiller(s) take a LOT of amps on startup, causing shorepower overload issues on many smaller yachts (smaller yacht <85'). If you have only 1 a/c on, or just the a/c's in humidity mode, the chiller still runs fairly often and chews through a lot of electricity.
  7. ruby

ruby Member

a/c

I noticed that the front a/c in my boat did the job just fine, I think it is a 7k btu cruise air self contained unit. The salon a/c which is a 16k split system unit does a marginal job on cooling the salon on 90 degree plus days. Has anyone changed out their original salon a/c units?
  8. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Ruby,

I have the same or very similar set up.

My salon stays cool if i keep it the AC running.

It also helps to keep all the SR and head doors closed.
    If im on the boat, or expecting to be on the boat, i keep the AC running.

(There is nothing like stepping into a cool salon when fishing off shore)

Also, i put one of those RV hatch insulators between the screens and hatch. That really helps keep the SRs and Heads cool.

I dont have any shades in the SR but that would help alot.
    Tint on the Salon windows is also very helpful and i think looks pretty cool
  9. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Follow up....

ruby,

i just saw a pic of your salon on another thread, very nice, i really like the updated TV.

do you think your AC vent being repositioned has an impact on the ACs ability to cool the salon?

Also, cleaning the screen on the condenser (mine is behind the cabinet doors to the right of the TV) helps keep the AC blowing nice and cold.

Id recommend shooting the vent with an IR temp gun to see how cold the air is coming out.

the air volume should be pretty easy to judge by the hand test.
  10. ruby

ruby Member

Lou, I do the same thing as you with the salon a/c, but when the outside temps are close to 90 I think that 16k btu's is a little light. Many other similar size boats have 24k units in their salons. I think that the repositioning of the a/c vent was a good move, one being that cold air drops, and secondly the a/c vent is fairly close to the centerline of the salon. This is allowing cold air to be evenly distributed and not being blocked by the person sitting at the dinette with a cold neck. I did clean the screen on the a/c intake in the cabinet near the tv, the force of air coming out of the vent is similar to the way it was previously and the air does feel as cold as before. Like I said before 16k just is a little small for such a big area, don't forget it also cools the guest stateroom also. I appreciate the compliments. Thanks
  11. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

sounds good thanks for the advice.

cant wait to get rid of that 1990's tube TV in the cabinet.
  12. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    I'm in Ft Lauderdale from Thursday and will show you my 47" LED TV Solution, I think you gonna like it! :)
  13. kubu

kubu Member

New unit installed and working great. I wound up putting a 12,000 btu unit in from Ocean Breeze. Took me about 3 hrs. to do complete job by myself. The hardest part was getting the old Cruis-Air unit out and pulling all the old wire out. New unit took about 45 minutes to install and boy does it make a big difference on cooling. May try to tackle the main saloon unit as the 16,000 btu unit just isn not big enough in my opinion.
  14. P46-Curaçao

47" TV setup
    a2013-06-21 12.13.28.jpg
  15. ruby

ruby Member

a/c

Kubu, what year is your 46? What was the original size of your stateroom a/c, I have used ocean a/c in the past, what control did you use. Send pics, I am curious as to what you are going to do with the main salon a/c, my 46 came with a 16k split system there. Keep sending pics
  16. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

thats a big TV....
  17. bigg1069

bigg1069 New Member

KUBU Did you use a split system or all in one
  18. kubu

kubu Member

My 46 is actually the last 1987 built it has all the features of the 1988 and was completed in spring of 88. I am the 3rd. owner and actaully have a copy of the original sales invoice. The unit that I installed in the master stateroom was not a split unit so that made the installation a lot easier:). The unit in the main saloon is a split unit and under sized for the climate in Charleston, SC.
  19. ruby

ruby Member

I agree the salon a/c is small and marginal in warm temps, I wonder if anyone has put a 24k split system in a 46
  20. P46-Curaçao

I have plans to put 1 extra, but where?

Also see 12 volt types, I have a hardtop full of solar panels so this could be an option too, any recommendations?