Click for Ocean Alexander Click for JetForums Click for Mulder Click for Comfort Click for Mulder

Post 50; Microwave Removal

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Beau, Apr 28, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Help. I'm of average intelligence, but would someone tell me how to get my microwave out? Is it held in place by that single molding along the bottom?
  2. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Thanks, Carl
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

..... :)
  4. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Beau,

Your 50 Post I no good with out a microwave.

I am sorry that you are unable to remove it.

I may have a solution.

I have a 46 Post with a perfectly good microwave.

I have been looking for a boat with a microwave that doesn't work.

I am willing to trade my 46 Post with a working microwave for your 50 Post with nonworking microwave.

I am willing to deliver my boat to your slip an I will include a crate of microwave mac-n-cheese and pop corn.

Let me know.....

If the above deal is no good for you, then try to see if it is screwed in from the bottom. My microwave is screwed in from underneath the galley counter top.

FYI, my TV and washer/dryer have a plywood seat screwed into the bottom of the appliance, and then the seat is screwed into the floor or cabinet.

GOOD LUCK
  5. Beau

Beau Senior Member

RT

A very tempting offer! It's impossible ? to get to the the shelf the unit sits on. I've been in an out of all those cupboards with mirrors and a borascope(sp?). I feel like an idiot! The only thing I can find holding it is that bottom molding, but I dunno....
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Unscrew the bottom molding and then it should come out.
  7. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Capt

I'm thinking the same thing. Unfortunately there are no obvious screws or bungs. I just want to be sure before I wreck havoc. It has to come off anyway, because it definitely prevents the unit from simply sliding out. Thanks
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

there are no screws from the bottom up?
  9. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

Looking at other 50's online, you have the micro in the island portion of the galley? It's a long shot, but maybe Post was still installing similar to mine in the cabinet. The top counter may come off. Look for screws under the lip on both sides. Remove them and the whole top comes off and you can then reach the mounting brackets of the micro inside the cabinet.

Good luck, Mark
  10. Beau

Beau Senior Member

No. It creates a lip at the out side of the cabinet at the bottom of the opening and prevents the unit from simply being pulled. I can find no evidence of bungs/screws- maybe it was epoxied in place?
  11. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Thanks Mark. My cabinet is mitred teak, so I can't get the top off. I have seen other 50's with the counter top you are referring to, though. I'm still thinking its that molding strip, but its so a part of the cabinetry I'd had to ruin it to find out I'm wrong.
  12. Davidoc

Davidoc Senior Member

Finding the screw for the microwave.

I have a 46. The microwave sits on a teak platform custom to the base of the microwave. The base is screwed in from the bottom with one or two screws and the whole thing slide out the front. I have a sofa in front of the galley bar. Move the sofa out and look for a small teak or mirror cover on the back side of the galley bar. Remove the panel. Mine is a little bigger than my fist. Get a flashlight and find the screws that hold the wood mounting base in place. Unplug the microwave and push her out from the back.

Yours may be a little different, but Post was very creative in mounting stuff for the sea.

Hope this gives you a clue.

David OUTPOST
  13. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Davidoc

My access opening is quite a distance from my MW but I'll check. Seems there's plenty of cab/ shelving in the way. It think I still would have to take that front molding off. Did you have to remove yours?
  14. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Hey BEAU, Is there any chance that you could post some pics of this? It may help.
  15. Beau

Beau Senior Member

SeaE

Will do over the weekend. I also have the question out to Post Yachts. That molding is like a piece of furniture, so before I destroy it I want to be sure - call me a chicken little? In the meantime, I'll just eat cold gruel.....or trade up to RTs offer.
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Keep in mind, they had to put the molding on somehow after the microwave was installed, so, somewhere and somehow there is a way to properly remove it without destroying anything.
  17. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

If the microwave is broken/trash you can cut it up from the inside with a reciprocating saw and putt it out in 3-7 pieces. The metal is pretty soft mild steel and when it is disconnected from power there is nothing dangerous inside of a microwave, just a few small capacitors that might give you a bit of a spark if you cross them the wrong way. I'd wager that you'll be able to see how it's attached when it's cut out.
  18. Davidoc

Davidoc Senior Member

The molding is teak and is at the base of the microwave in the front on mine. That molding is attached to the custom teak base and is mounted to the bottom of the MW. It will not come off unless you break it off on mine. Even if you do that the MW wont come out. The access from the rear on mine is a long way from the screws to unbolt the bottom teak plate. My arm can barely reach the screws. When Post was still around, I talked to the guy who designed the mounting. He told me how to do it because I was ready to do the same thing you are thinking of doing. I decided that they were much too crafty then that.

By the way if yours does have the custom teak mount underneath it you can call the MW manufacturer to see if they have a new one with the same vents and feet as your old one. Mine was Sharp and they had a new convection MW that matched the old footprint exactly. I used the old teak mounting slide and didn't wreck a thing. Leave it to the Japanese to understand customer retention and compatibility.
  19. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Davidoc

Your description of the molding explains the absence of screws. Into the inspection opening I go! Hope my arm is long enough, and hope the new Post Yachts in Maryland contacts me.

I'll keep you informed of what I find this weekend. Thanks to you all.
  20. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Davidoc

Thank you. Took a closer look today, and in fact my MW is screwed to a teak platform and that molding is the exposed, finished edge. Very glad I did not start chipping away$! Didn't get a chance to open my little access opening down along the floor. Long way up to MW. Next week. Thanks folks