Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Glendinning Click for JetForums

Looking for Saloon Door Weather Seals

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by C team, Apr 10, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. C team

C team Senior Member

I know this is a Post forum and I have an Egg Harbor but I thought I would give it a try. I removed my saloon doors from my 1981' Egg and have these strips of felt with metal backing that seal up the doors when closed. I tried every local hardware, marine supply, even called Egg Harbor but have not had any luck. Has anyone ever seen something like these or possibly know a supplier?

Attached Files:

2. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

3. C team

C team Senior Member

Thanks for the website. Unfortunately the 11644 looks it's a channel and would be too tall. I will give them a call.
  4. coastalgeorge

coastalgeorge New Member

5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Weather-stripping has come a long way in the past 30 years. Do you really even need or want the same as what was there?
  6. C team

C team Senior Member

I'm not looking for exactly the same thing as I can't find what was originally used by Egg Harbor anyway.

Coastalgeorge, I have found felt in rolls that can be tacked up around the saloon opening that I might try. The rigid metal and felt was a nice way to do it since the doors slide against these strips. If I use something with adhesive tape, I worry about it coming off over time as the doors slide against the weather stripping.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Although today's backing glues adhere quite well, the beauty of the self- adhering weather-stripping is that it's cheap and easy to change. I think it's a safe bet that after 30 years that weather-stripping wasn't doing it's job nearly as well as when new. So in 5 or 10 years you spend $20 and 10 minutes replacing it again. No big deal.
  8. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

I think I understand what you have setup. If you can't find a close replacement and you have to worry about rubbing the inside of the doors, maybe mounting the stripping on either the inside or outer edge of the door gives you another option? It will seal only when fully closed which should be OK. That is how Post did it.
  9. C team

C team Senior Member

The doors only seal when fully closed. Egg made the doors with a slightly larger piece of wood on the outboard side of the doors. Also, these are two sliding doors. The strips that I posted in the start of this thread, is nailed along the opening in the saloon. I think I will just go with felt or foam that I can tack around the opening. I don't want to have to do this job too often since you must remove inside trim in order to remove the doors to access the weather stripping.