Click for JetForums Click for Furuno Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for Burger

Where to put Solar batteries

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by P46-Curaçao, Mar 15, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    As I don’t want to use shore power, I’ve planned to put as many solar panels on top of the hardtop as possible.

For now, I selected Ft. Lauderdale based eMarine as the supplier (does anyone has some experience with them?) of all the equipment except the batteries.

I planned to put 4 Trojan L16H-AC Deep cycle Batteries in, and now I’m asking myself, where to put them?

They weight each 125 lbs so…any advice?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

As low in the boat as possible. Have you calculated the weight up the solar panels and how it might effect stability? I think you may want to keep a generator and run it at times, because it's not always sunny.

Anyways, if they're sealed Gel you can install them under bunks or anywhere else inside the cabin if you need to, but only sealed GEL. Or if the boat you're installing them is the boat in the picture, what about under the cockpit floor somewhere?
  3. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

If your 46 is laid out like mine I would put battery banks under the cockpit up against the Engine room bulkhead.

My 46 has a lot of space in that area that you can access when you take out the fish boxes.

On one side I have the cockpit freezer compressor and storage for several 5 gallon oil cans.

On the other side (port) I just have empty storage.
    For me that seems to be the best place for a battery bank because it is outside of the heat from the engine room and it is the shortest run of DC cables.

I also have room under my galley and under the hatch near the dinette in the salon.

I have also considered putting battery banks in the Engine Room outboard of the engines but decided against that for a number of reasons.
  4. P46-Curaçao

3 x 245W Kyocera's weight 138 LBS in total, should that be something to consider?
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It will change the stability a little, especially in a beam sea, but 138lbs on the hardtop is not an amount that would worry me in any way. Make sure they have diodes so that they don't drain the batteries when it is not sunny.
  6. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

I me a guy in Block last year who owned one of the larger Nordic Tugs.

He had it set up with solar power to run the boat.

The solar runs everything except the A/C.

It seemed like a good set up.
  7. P46-Curaçao

Friday I'm at eMarine and finalize my set-up, running the A/C is not an issue for me, I just want no shore power at Curaçao, we have a lot of black outs and its extremely expensive at the marina (small Island) so within 2 years there shout be a return on investment.

When I want to use the A/C, I fire up the generator but when I’m not at the boat, I want to keep de fridges working, all the batteries charged and some other small stuff…

I will post all details, pictures and set-up!
  8. P46-Curaçao

So, here's an update on the solar system I bought from eMarine at Ft Lauderdale.

I bought 3 Kyocera 245 watt panels, 3 MPPT Charger Controllers a remote display and battery temperature Sensor.

I completed it with 4 (2x2) Trojan L16H-AC Deep Cycle batteries (6 volt, 435 20-Hr AMP rate) and put them in 2 separate battery boxes from NOCO.

The solar panels are already installed and fit perfectly on the fresh painted hardtop.

[​IMG]

The battery boxes fitted more than perfectly below the 2 hatches in the Aft Deck, only disadvantage is that I permanently have to remove the baith well and storage box inserts. (somebody interested?)

In a couple of weeks (May), I will do all the pre-wiring myself and then hire a trained technician to finalize the installation.
  9. Davidoc

Davidoc Senior Member

Sounds like a great project. I used the same batteries for my 3KW inverter. I put them under the forward hatch in the saloon floor. I engineered a hydrogen detector connected to my dryer vent motor and when the hydrogen level reaches the warning level it turns on the blower and runs the air overboard. Works very effectively and makes me feel a lot safer. I too am interested in solar but I have not needed them yet.
    If you have not thought of this yet its a great trick to keep the house bank topped of without running your genset. When you are running your engines, the alternator excess current (after your start batteries are fully charged) can be directed to the house bank, through your system, to charge them back up. When I'm in the Bahamas, I rarely use the genset or the marinas. I just putt around from island to island and the alternators keep me topped off. Several companies make an auto switch to facilitate this nice addition to your system.
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

As you are using Lead Acid Batteries have you given any thoughts to ventilation of the gasses they will give off during charging?
  11. P46-Curaçao

Good point K1W1, have to look into it, thnx!
  12. MountainGuy

MountainGuy Member

As I just replaced the batteries on my boat from flooded lead acid to sealed lead acid, I wonder, why anyone would still use the flooded ones, which need checking an maintenance?

This is the product I use now: "VARTA Professional Deep Cycle - 140Ah"

Are there any performance benefits to the "old technology"?

Thx
  13. Davidoc

Davidoc Senior Member

Yes and Yes. I engineered a hydrogen detector connected to my dryer vent motor and when the hydrogen level reaches the warning level it turns on the blower and runs the air overboard. I also installed a very efficient low power and quiet fan that continually changes the air in the hold. This dilutes the air and keeps the hydrogen level very low. Batteries gas off more during certain stages of charging. Works very effectively and makes me feel a lot safer. The also has an optional warning beep when its activated so you can know if the battery is gassing. Its been working great for about 5 years now. By the way, I installed new battery caps that connect with a hose to each other and out to a fill hose. The caps have a check valve on them that stops you from overfilling automatically. That way I could use the space on top of them for a shelve to store my spare parts bins.
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
  14. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Davidoc, My question about ventilation was aimed at the OP after reading aout his choice of batteries.

You certainly seem to have done your homework with your install there is just a couple of questions that come to mind.

Is that dryer fan motor suitable for ventilating a potentially explosive gas?

Is the open end of the fill hose outside the space and does it take the place of the vent in the caps?
  15. Davidoc

Davidoc Senior Member

The dryer blower I used is the same as the engine room blowers. In addition the percentage of hydrogen in the air that the detector picks up is well below igniteable with a match. Hydrogen rises to the top of the room that it is in and thats where the exhaust hose picks it up when the detector smells a small amount in the air.

The battery fill hose is on a hook away from the battery bank and I just store a few gallons of distilled water near by. I just use an outboard motor squeeze ball to fill the batteries remotely. The caps are vented as usual. They just have an overfill check valve in the top and a hose connector for water. The end of the hose fill has a quick disconnect plug on it to keep it sealed off when not in use.

Hope this answers your questions

David
  16. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I certainly does answer my questions.

Thanks for sharing with me and the rest of the readers here.
  17. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Price I guess is the main reason as lead acids are much cheaper and in my experience last almost as long as AGMs. If the batteries are accessible, topping them off is no big deal and a good opportunity to inspect terminal, check for signs of bulging, etc..
  18. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree that they last almost as long as AGM's. I have seen the expensive grey casing GEL batteries go 7+ years though in many cases, not AGM though.
  19. P46-Curaçao

I did a lot of research and found out that Trojans have a very good reputation, are reliable and when good maintained, they last 6-8 years. I found them reasonably priced at $312,- (brand now from a large warehouse), so think it’s a good choice.
  20. P46-Curaçao

Hi Davidoc, what kind of hydrogen detector do you use?