Click for JetForums Click for Abeking Click for Cross Click for Walker Click for Perko

Newer 42' Post

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Quality Time, Feb 3, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Quality Time

Quality Time Member

Hi everyone,
    I'm looking for info on 42' Posts from approx. model year 1998-2004. I'm aware of the gelcoat issues so really just looking for other pros/cons and performance data for this model with the 430/480 Volvos. Is 24/25 knt cruise a realistic number and at what GPH?

I grew up on a 1987 46' and also a 1997 50'. Having owned a few Sea Rays over the past few years, I have seen the light and am ready to get back to my roots!

Any help is appreciated.
  2. C team

C team Senior Member

Quality Time,

I'm no help about the 42's you are interested in but do you run a big Ocean out of Bo Bay Marina?
  3. Quality Time

Quality Time Member

Yup, that's me. Did we meet at Skipjack last year?
  4. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

I don't know for a fact, but I think a 24\25 knot cruise with those motors is very optimistic. The weight of the newer version 42 which covers the years you are looking at Post Yachts | The Legend Lives On - Post 42 Convertible is 43K lbs. That almost 10K more than my 43. With the HP being about the same and I think they added more deadrise to the stern which may slow it up some, I would think a 21-22 knot cruise is more realistic running at a decent RPM off WOT.
  5. C team

C team Senior Member

Yeah, that is me. My buddy has the '79 46' that talked to you too.
  6. Quality Time

Quality Time Member

I really have my eye on a 50' but figured the 42' would be a good in between for a couple years until we're in a better position.

Of course, now the wife thinks everything is too small after spending the summer on the 56' Ocean...
  7. C team

C team Senior Member

Well it is a buyers market out there so if you have a certain dollar amount budgeted, you might be able to move up in size. Although everything is going to be a little smaller after spending time on that 56'!:D
  8. Soulstice

Soulstice Member

I have a 2001 with the TAMD-74 480hp. These engines are great. They run smooth, easy to maintain, and have a really long life to them. I have listed what RPM/Speed/GPH data I have based on a light load (Crusing, full fuel tank, full water tank, two people). The speeds will drop off with increased load like when I go fishing and carry a full load of ice, extra fuel, tackle, 5 guys, etc.

RPM, Burn (G/h), Speed (Approx)
    2000, 20, 19
    2100, 25, 20
    2200, 30, 22
    2300, 35, 23
    2400, 40, 24

I can top out at 26-28 knots around 2600 RPM however the burn is close to 50 GPH and I would suggest staying 300-400rpm off the 2700 MAX in order to get keep these engines healthy.
  9. swampyankee

swampyankee New Member

You forgot about the three doggies

:cool: