Click for Mulder Click for MotorCheck Click for Walker Click for Perko Click for Ocean Alexander

Little Custom Post Ideas

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by kubu, Dec 5, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. kubu

kubu Member

I would love to see any little custom projects other owners have done on their Post. I currently have a 46 ft. that I have been working onover the years. Will get some pictures posted soon.
  2. Island Runner

Island Runner Member

One of the small projects out of my major renovation is the elimination of all the door handles from the middle of the doors. I didn't like the looks of it from day one and some doors were hard to open that way. I took off the door, measured and marked the location and, using a hole saw, I made two holes near where the old handle holes were. Then I scribed a line connecting the two holes and used my sabersaw to cut out the piece between them which results in a narrow vertical opening with nicely radiused ends (see photos.) Using a router with a half round bit I chamfered the edges on the visible inside and sealed the raw edge with varnish. I sourced some stainless steel vent covers from West Marine that were only a few bucks each and installed them on the outside. New knobs located in the corners and hinges were installed and the outcome was, in my estimation anyway, a good one.

Attached Files:

3. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

MY WISH LIST: (if money and time were no object)

1. I would like to get rid of the carpet in the salon and put in teak and holley.

2. I would also like to put some sound insulation in the ER.
    Not so much to quiet the DDs (I know that would be impossible) but for the generator when on the hook.

3. I would also like to put a small fridge or wet bar on the bridge behind the helm.

4. Fresh water Wash down on the bridge to rinse floor and strataglass.

5. some type of fake teak flooring on the bridge to bring it up a notch.

6. Westbasto diesel furnace with hot water heat throughout boat to include a radaitor on the bridge for those cold days.

7. If i have to replace the fuel tanks (hopefully never), i would like to make ER access from the cockpit. (I have a late 80's 46 SF with Salon access to the ER)

8. Make a Hatch cover for the bridge ladder.

9. Modify the TV Cabinet to fit a modern flat screen instead of the 1980's square tube TV.

10. Repower? hopefully never......I just rebuilt the DDs, but I wonder what would be the repower choice (if repowering), Reman Cummins QSMs? Yanmars? i dont know...........really just wondering.
  4. Davidoc

Davidoc Senior Member

Wish List

RT46

I have done some of your projects on my 46 with slightly different solutions:

2. I looked at insulation for the genset. Both the full cover over the unit and floor insulation. I decided to put in a 3KW Inverter and a house bank and not run the genset at anchor. It is very peaceful and I can run everything except my watermaker and dive tank compressor for reasonable amounts of time. I also installed chargers from the excess alternator current not needed for the start batteries, to recharge the house bank while underway, again not needing to run the genset. I found that I can run the AC unit in the master all night along with any electronics, TV etc and all refrigeration. I would think that up North you may not need your AC units too much in the evening. Hot water heater can be run during the day while under power and shut down at night to conserve power. This setup provides me with quiet time while saving fuel by not running the generator.

3. Refrigeration on the flybridge. I solved that problem by buying an Engel or Dometic portable freezer and fridge that I can run with 12V 0r 110V. That gives me flexibility if I want to move it around. I put 12V in the helm and mounted the unit with a strap around the starboard stantions near the rod holder rail. It has rubber feet and stays put in a heavy sea. We keep cold beers, snacks and sometimes frozen bait in there. When not in use it fits in the forward storage area on the bridge.

4. Wash-down on the bridge. Running water up there was going to be tough for my inside runways. I put a flush deck quick disconnect on the bow with a long coil hose that I store in the dink. That lets me wash-down with fresh water, the anchor, dink, forward deck and the glass on the flybridge from the bow. The cockpit fresh water quick disconnect coil hose easily reaches the whole flybridge right up the steps.

9. Flat screen for the salon. My TV was mounted behind the teak roll doors next to the AC duct. I pulled the TV and mounting blocks all out and built a vertical mount to accommodate the new wall mount fixed brackets. I just used a piece of 2 X 6 and fashioned a secure mount to the top and bottom. Putting in a flat screen also bought me some space back there for other stuff and also cut down on the heat generated from the old set. I put in a SeaKing Directv system but don't have HD.

Hope this gives you a couple of ideas.

David
    OUTPOST
  5. kubu

kubu Member

I have just finished pulling all of the Awlgrip off of the Toerail and the back covering boards. Looks great. I have also repowered my 46 about 1.5 yrs. ago with Cummins QSC 8.3. What a project that was. Here are a few pictures. I also several years ago replaced the Stainless Railing on the ladder and bridge to Aluminum.

Attached Files:

6. water-baby

water-baby Member

Please tell me more about the repower!
    What did you take out? Why? What are the improvements?
    I want to repower mine with cummins so bad
  7. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Kuba,

What WaterBabby said.....tell me more, tell me more.....

cost, performance...all that good stuff...

i have a 46 also, she had TIBs that run great but I would like some info on your repower for future planning.

Also, i have my toe rail and covering boards varnished, i like it alot and get alot of compliments. It really isnt that much work to keep decent and the more i do it the better i get at varnishing.

Also I would like to see a profile pic of your boat without the bow rail

thanks again,

RT46
  8. kubu

kubu Member

I had D.D. 6v92's in prior to the repower. Had done an in frame when I first purchased the boat and was going to need to do another. Actually worked with the Cummins plant located in Charleston, SC. We went with the QSC 8.3's as with theses we had enough room in the engine room without having to cut the stringers. We actually took over 2200 lbs. of weight out of the boat. Crusie went from 22 knots to an easy 26 knots. We top out at about 31 knots and our fuel burn is about 1/2 of what it was. Was pretty $$$. The best thing was NO SMOKE !!! Unreal difference. If you plan on keeping your boat for a while I would sincerely consider it. We were able to take the old engines out and new ones in through the saloon door. I have attached some pictures and these are of the dry fit before the engiine room was completely repainted. I have also attached a profile view that shows it without the bow rails before the cover boards were redone.

Attached Files:

9. Davidoc

Davidoc Senior Member

Nice job, your boat looks real nice. What did you use to get the paint off the cover boards?
    Thanks
    David
    OUTPOST
  10. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

wow, the amount of room in the ER with the Cummins vs the Detroits is amaizing.

Your boat seems to be an 87 or 86 becuase of the porthole in the crew cabin?

I did not know that that vintage Post 46 came with 692s? i thought the 692s started in the 90s. I could be totally wrong, just wondering....

how does the boat handle at 26kts cruise?

Hopefully, I have alot of life on my fresh 671s, but when the time comes it will be awfully tempting to repower with the Cummings.

Did you end up with a down angle gear? or does the Cummins sit at the angle in your pic?

Again, great looking boat, thanks for pics

regards
    RT
  11. water-baby

water-baby Member

what hp are the cummins? more pictures please?
    i'm sorry but now i really need details have been looking at cummins all night trying to figure out how i could get rid of the 671s
  12. kubu

kubu Member

My boat is actually an 87 that was completed in 88 and has all the features of the 88 as far as the door sliding on the inside, all of the cockpit changes that were made for the 88 models. The Cummins that were put in are 650 h.p. each. I will see about an more photos that I may be able to dig up. The repower has made a world of difference and any Cummins dealer could contact Cummins and ask abou the repower as they did a whole write up and report on the repower.

I have made a few change in the saloon as well. Took out the old counter tops and replaced them with Corian. Took the stove out and put in a 2 burner cook top. ( wife would not be happy with the dirty picture :) ) One other thing was with the table I made it a tear drop shape which really opend up that area. The table was used to make the doors for the area where the stove came out. These gave us much more need storage in the galley area. See the pictures. Sorry some are a little fuzzy.

Attached Files:

13. ruby

ruby Member

one of my winter projects

I have been trying to finish my 32 inch tv installation, as you see I have to finish mouldings and install a/c vent.

Attached Files:

14. kubu

kubu Member

I like it !! Looks like that is a 46 ft as well. What are your plans for the AC vent? I would love to move mine as well as it bl;ows on you the whole time you are trying to eat. Just was not real sure as where to move it.
  15. ruby

ruby Member

Thank You, my boat is a 1986 46ft. I have to check on the angle that I am dealing with, there is a company that makes teak wedge style a/c- heat vents that are beautiful. The original a/c vent as you state blows on the back of your neck if you are sitting in front of it. That vent is a six inch diameter, and the outside dimension is 8 x 10, I am going to slightly change the dimension to 6x10 and use the same size 6 inch hose to attach to it. The wedge vent will go on the ledge on top of the tv. My advice to any Post owners if you are working around your a/c system hoses replace them and filters. When I took this apart the filter on the a/c blower was plugged with dust and dirt, It bothered me every so often seeing dust all over because it got into the a/c hoses as well and came out the vents. Anyway if all goes well the wedge vent will work and I can rip down some teak to make mouldings around 3 sides of the TV. The top will not need a moulding since the tv will use the moulding that is there already.
  16. ruby

ruby Member

It's amazing when you start changing one thing on these boats you keep on going. Here are a few pics of this seasons upgrades, and the start of swim platform fabrication.

Attached Files:

17. ruby

ruby Member

I removed the wall coverings in the heads and lightly stained the wood and applied satin varnish. Teak and Holly soles in heads, other pics show the hull after it was sand blasted. Also all heads were removed and vacuflush heads installed

Attached Files:

18. ruby

ruby Member

New teak and holly in galley and stairs, bottom was stripped, barrier coated, microned, and new imron boot stripes

Attached Files:

19. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Ruby,

teak and holly looks great.

That is a great idea to remove the wall paper in the heads.

from the pic it looks like your salon door slides to Stbd.

Odd mine slides to port....

Otherwise the boats are very similar with the exception of the hull vents.

It looks like you removed and replaced the fridge.
    How did that job go? I still have the OEM, and I am sure one day it will go Toes up. What unit did you replace it with?

bwt, the swim platform looks great, what did you use?

You have done a lot of work in your first year of ownership.

Good luck with her.
  20. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Hi Ruby, I agree w/ RT, the wall paper hadda go !
    Thr head walls and floor look great.

p.s. Mine slides to Starboard too.