Click for Cross Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for MotorCheck

World's Largest Yacht: 525' Platinum (Dubai)

Discussion in 'Popular Yacht Topics' started by YachtForums, Apr 11, 2005.

1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

The Platinum Project was originally commissioned in 1996 by Prince Jefri Bolkiah, the younger brother to the Sultan of Brunei. Following the prince's bankruptcy, the yacht was mothballed, until the project was later sold to Sheik Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum, the Crown Prince of Dubai.

Launched in April of 2005, Platinum was originally a collaboration between the Lürssen and Blohm & Voss yards. At 525 feet (160m), Platinum is undisputably… the world’s largest luxury yacht. Move over Octopus and Rising Sun!

There is some speculation regarding the current name of “Platinum”. The yacht may be renamed “Golden Star”. However, there is no speculation about the price tag… EXPENSIVE! Some estimates exceed $300 million. Currently, Platinum is moored at the Jebel Ali Docks in Dubai, but will likely have it’s interior fitted at another yard by craftsmen with experience working with vessels of this magnitude. It is scheduled to be towed up river shortly, after the exterior paintwork has been completed.

Platinum is a well-conceived yacht, combining the massive engineering experience of both Lurssen and Blohm & Voss. Among the many features to be expected on a yacht of this enormity, Platinum will have a heli-pad on the bow and on the upper aft-deck, with dedicated observation rooms for each.

There is a minimum of two master staterooms, located fore and aft, with an additional five or more VIP suites. The numbers of guest staterooms are undisclosed at this time, but it might be reasonable to assume they would rival a mini-cruise ship! The Bridge deck includes the captain’s quarters, along with a dedicated lounge and office, all within steps of the exterior port/starboard observation stanchions. Platinum will likely feature an enormous foyer and atrium, connecting each deck with illumination via a skylight above. There is an abundant area of exterior seating on every level, both fore and aft.

Platinum is projected to be powered by four (4) diesel engines, each packing in excess of 9000 horsepower. Suffice to say, this might be the first yacht that needs an onboard crude-oil refinery. ;-)

We would like to thank a fellow YachtForums member… “Chobecat” for the images he has provided. Very much appreciated!

Limited specs...

Length: 525’ (160m)
    Beam: 72’
    Draft: 16’
    Power: 4 x BIG Horsepower diesels
    Material: Steel

Attached Files:

2. YachtForums

Starboard aft quarter picture at the Jebel Ali Docks...

Attached Files:

3. YachtForums

A close-up of the stern shows the sheer magnitude of this monster, as the workers are completely dwarfed by its 72' beam. Notice the transom is not completely submerged, as this yacht is still merely a shell...

Attached Files:

4. YachtForums

This midship close-up picture shows the masking tape, paper and over-spray film yet to be removed...

Attached Files:

5. YachtForums

A zoom-in forward details the navigation stanchions, the only protruding structure in Platinum's otherwise very clean lines...

Attached Files:

6. YachtForums

The overall height of Platinum is not known at this point. Only the mast of Mirabella V may be taller! ;)

Attached Files:

7. YachtForums

Zooming in over the yard...

Attached Files:

8. YachtForums

The details are many as you come closer...

Attached Files:

9. YachtForums

Possibly the largest covered aft decks to ever grace a yacht...

Attached Files:

10. YachtForums

A close-up of the paint scaffolding reveals the radar arch and a hint of its design...

Attached Files:

11. YachtForums

The models below might be a good representation of the final product...

Attached Files:

12. YachtForums

YachtForums is proud to bring you the first published pictures of Platinum. As more images and information come available, we'll post it under this thread.

Thanks for cruising along. :)

If you would like to become a member (it's free), click here... [REGISTER]

Attached Files:

13. YachtForums

Guys,

I copied this thread over from the New Launches category and in doing so, I lost some of the posts that were made today. Really sorry!!! Have to start over now. :mad:

(trying to re-call my original post below...)

Platinum is absolutely astonishing, but... where do we go from here?

Yes, Platinum is everything we would expect the world's largest super yacht to look like. It is contemporary, yet traditional. And it's amazing that we, as a people, can engineer and build such magnificent marvels, but at this point, I'm beginning to think... "bigger is not necessarily better".

I was doing just fine with my simple aspirations to own a nice 80-90 footer.

I don't need this kind of pressure. :eek:

(Again, sorry I've deleted today's posts. Help me get this thread back on track)
  14. JonS

JonS Senior Member

My two cents on this whole subject was:

Surely boats cant get much larger than this?! Won't her sheer size prohibit her from entering some of the most popular sailing destinations around the world. Therefore this would NOT be seen as the most perfect yacht.

I woudn't say that is it 'downhill all the way' when you think about the size of the craft, this is just what was wanted by the owner, to proove the point that it can be done, and in some style too!

However, when you talk about it reaching a pinicle, as the best superyacht that can be ever produced, this is not true. A super yacht is not simply 'how big can you make it', but what goes on inside, its workings, furnishing, stlye and design, engineering and economy, etc. The size of a boat is a major factor for people who are not necessarily 'in the know' as it is the first impression you get of a yacht. But for a boat to be 'perfect' it has to be the best it can possible be in all aspects of design and operation at the time of construction.

However, technologies will get better, boats may get bigger, but the needs of the users are what make each individual boat perfect.

A pinicle has not been reached here, I see Platinum as simply extending boundaries. Boundaries that are ever changing and ever challenging to human skills and technologies.

How do other people feel about this?
  15. JonS

JonS Senior Member

On a lighter note:

As much as you have to admire Platinum and what she stands for, she certainly takes the biscuit when it comes to flaunting your wealth!
  16. YachtForums

Thanks for re-posting John. :)

Earlier, I was merging some threads into one category and forgot to make copies of the newest replies. Next thing I know... poof. Gone!
  17. capitan_buzo

capitan_buzo New Member

any new photos of Platinum yet?
  18. YachtForums

I just noticed the number of views on the Platinum thread (in the News, Products & Launches" forum)...

Nearly 8000 views in less than 8 days! :cool:
  19. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

As fascinating as we all must find "Platinum" - the sheer size of it and the allocation of resources is simply stupifying.
    If I can barely comprehend it, how must the citizens of those oil-producing countries feel?
    Frankly, itz no wonder Al Qaeda has so many adherents in those countries.
    Who remembers what happened to Saddam's yacht "Al Mansur"? Looks like Desert Storm - Part III is comin' up...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  20. orion

orion Senior Member

Who destroyed Al Mansur?
    Who's talking about allocation of resources?
    Who can that be? :confused:

I think people of the United Arabic Emirates feel proudeness of the very beautiful yacht Platinum but also for their own country.
    A country without taxes, free hospitality, no criminality, no unemployed , no drugs.....
    Have a look at your own country before teaching others how to do it. :mad: