Click for MotorCheck
Click for Bering
Click for Ocean Alexander
Click for Llebroc
Click for Cheoy Lee
Click for Oceanco
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > GENERAL YACHTING DISCUSSION > Popular Yacht Topics > Famous Yachts

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

Famous Yachts

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-26-2005, 09:10 PM   #31 (permalink)

Post Castro's Invasion Yacht

Thatz right - invasion yacht, "Granma" , si?
Well, that what the history books (channel) sayz.
60 or 65 feet in length, I'll leave it to the yachtsperts to identify the maker.
My guess would be Huckins - Fairform Flyer, no?
Well, here's the photo, some of the history and a couple relevant links:
"A leisure yacht named Granma was secured for the trip to Cuba. Although seaworthy, the ship was not in the best shape. Badly worn gears prevented the ship from achieving significant speed, and the radio could only receive, making it impossible to communicate with allies in Cuba. The craft was overcrowded with weapons, ammunition, and 82 soldiers. To make matters worse, the ship's tanks held 1,200 gallons of fuel, not nearly enough to reach Cuba, so an additional 2,000 gallons, in cans, were stored on deck."The departure was hasty," writes Matthews in The Cuban Story, "for the Mexican authorities were after him. There was little food; the boat--which could comfortably accommodate no more than a dozen men-was dreadfully overcrowded; the Granma's engines were bad. Everything seemed to go wrong. It had been arranged that his 26th of July followers in Santiago de Cuba would rise on November 30, the day Fidel and his band were supposed to land. There was a brave, but of course, futile uprising on November 30, with Fidel far out to sea."

On the last day of the journey, ex-navy lieutenant Roque fell overboard. "The Granma's search lights were turned on for the first time," recalls Faustino Pérez in Diary of the Cuban Revolution, "when it was more dangerous than ever. Nothing helped. Our comrade was being swallowed by the deep. Never willing to give up, Fidel ordered one more search. We heard the cry "Here!" again, weaker but inexplicably closer now. Pichirilo Mejías, our brave, efficient Dominican helmsman, saw him first and miraculously rescued him. His strength, his ability, his level headedness, as well as Fidel's faith and the efforts of his comrades had saved his life."

The landing of the Granma, in December 1956, was planned to re-enact the route that José Martí had followed to begin Cuba's War of Independence in 1895. The target landing spot was a town called Niguero, in Oriente province. Still waiting for them on December 2 was Celia Sánches, one of the founders of the July-26-Movement, with an assortment of trucks, jeeps, food, weapons and about 50 men.

Leaking and running days behind schedule, the Granma was spotted by a helicopter, and the rebels were forced to beach the ship at a spot called Playa de los Colorados, near the village of "Las Coloradas," about fifteen miles south of the designated spot. The new landing area was more of a swamp than a beach, and the rebels were unable to unload most of their weapons due to the muddy waters, the thick undergrowth plant life and small crabs.

"Just consider where the landing took place," says Celia Sánchez in The Twelve, a book by Carlos Franqui about the early days of the struggle against Batista. "If they had debarked right on the beach instead of at the swamp, they would have found trucks, jeeps, gasoline. It would have been a walkaway."
http://www.historyofcuba.com/history/granma.htm
http://www.rcgfrfi.easynet.co.uk/ratb/cuba/cuba_rev.htm
http://home.earthlink.net/~servando/cm0104.htm
Cheers!
Happy Nude Rear.
Yikes!!
Eric
PS - Batista did try hard to sink it:
http://espanol.geocities.com/aviacuba/Mil2-3-e.html
PSS- Now a museum piece:
http://muller.lbl.gov/cuba/Cuba-Pages/Image167.html
http://www.tiogaadventures.com/L23-Granmere.jpg
Attached Images

Last edited by alloyed2sea; 12-28-2005 at 09:46 AM..
alloyed2sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 04:10 PM   #32 (permalink)
Acrylico

I hear Fidel still holds on to a sportfish after all these years. Either a Rybovich or a Cubavich - anybody have any pictures???
Old 12-29-2005, 07:44 PM   #33 (permalink)

For a number of years Fidel fished on a Striker, which was confiscated when it drifted into Cuban waters.
MacMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 04:10 AM   #34 (permalink)
Les Paul

The Goodwill

http://www.davearcher.com/goodwill.html

I was on board her in 1967 for a tour. Our yacht, "The Locura", an old 70 foot Annapolis owned by my Dad had tied up behind her in San Diego on our way to Mexico that summer. I was 14 years old at the time.

The Goodwill was 161 foot long 2 masted schooner. She won the Trans Pacific race 2 times during the 50's.

Mr. Archer who writes of his experience with the ship in 1965 has captured what it must have been like with her alcoholic owner and sailing the seas with little or no experience.

Goodwill sank off of Sacramento Reef outside of Cabo San Lucas in 1969 taking everyone on board her at the time to a watery grave..
Old 01-24-2006, 11:16 AM   #35 (permalink)
Publisher/Admin

This 118’ Burger, "Chanticleer", was formerly owned by Ralph Evinrude (of the outboard motor fame). His widow, Ms. Francis Langford, kept the boat and used it frequently for fishing trips. She passed away in 2005, but Chanticleer remains docked in Jensen Beach, Florida. If her name sounds familiar, she was a famous actress and singer who accompanied Bob Hope during WWII’s USO tours. Maybe some of our senior members remember Les Brown and his band of Renoun?

YachtForums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:48 AM   #36 (permalink)
Les Paul

More on the Goodwill

http://www.transpacificyc.org/histor...rief_hist.html

And the Trans Pacific Yacht Race.

The largest boat ever was the 161-foot Goodwill, whose best time was 10 1/2 days in 1959

That was the second and last time she would participate in the race.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:43 AM   #37 (permalink)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp-BfkbbCog
Free Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:44 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYCaptainChris
being an englishman I have to add the 'Royal Yacht Britainnia' RIP!!!

I've been on her , took a plentlyful of pics
colintraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:45 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oheka
The former USS Williamsburg , presidential yacht of President Truman is up for sale in San Remo/ Italy I believe, although I have no clue of her present state. Obviously the brokers will only sell in conjunction with a major restoration.

http://www.fenikia.com/-en/broker.htm
select "classic" and scroll to bottom.

that's been up for sale for a while now
colintraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #40 (permalink)
YF Historian

Saw this "Uptown Girl" docked off Las Olas Blvd. in Fort Lauderdale. "Vendetta" sure is a beauty. I'm always amazed by the quality of the photos generated from my "smart" phone. I actually had to size these shots down for posting here!
Attached Images
SeaEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:11 AM   #41 (permalink)

Please take a look of this beautifull and rich in history boat..

Yugoslav Navy Yacht Galeb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
bobo1177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
Saw this "Uptown Girl" docked off Las Olas Blvd. in Fort Lauderdale. "Vendetta" sure is a beauty. I'm always amazed by the quality of the photos generated from my "smart" phone. I actually had to size these shots down for posting here!
Nice looking vessel.

...at first I thought back to this posting (dwg) I made that I thought it reminded me of..
http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/62146-post15.html
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #43 (permalink)

What about Gordon Bennett's "Lysistrata" of 1901?
She was the world very first non-Royal Mega-Yacht of very modern design for her time.
Attached Images
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #44 (permalink)

This is a neat boat with a rich history. It was on a mooring ball next to us in the BVI's.

caribbean motor yacht charters
The Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #45 (permalink)

Exclamation Monkey Business

As Jacques Clouseau once said,
"Try to do something about your filthy minkey"
The Return of the Pink Panther - Hilarious - YouTube

"Monkey Business" was a yacht frequently docked in South Florida at the Turnberry Isle Resort Marina. She is an 83-foot Broward motor yacht custom built and previously owned by the developers of that luxury resort. Famous guests included Elton John, Elizabeth Taylor, Jack Nicholson, Julio Iglesias, Jason Luetke and others.

Much more importantly, it was the yacht used by Gary Hart as his campaign headquarters during the 1988 Presidential Race. It was also the HQ for something else too of course: Madame Donna Rice.

In any case, despite rumors to the contrary, "Minkey Busi,…", I mean, "Monkey Business" continues to ply the waterways with the rich and famous onboard, albeit with a new color scheme and flying bridge. Monkey Business Private Yacht

Shown here in original and current condition, "Monkey Business" certainly continues impress and ply the waterways with the rich and famous aboard - if not in a new environs. (Europe vs. Florida).
Still, if you take out a charter be sure not to invite the press along as that rarely works out.
Cheers!
-Eric
Attached Images

Last edited by alloyed2sea; 03-03-2012 at 12:30 AM..
alloyed2sea is offline   Reply With Quote