Click for JetForums Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Comfort

| Perini Navi | 88M | "Maltese Falcon" | 2006/23 |

Discussion in 'Perini Navi Yacht' started by hufloas, Jan 10, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. hufloas

hufloas New Member

Has anybody got any new information about this project under construction?

Thanks.
  2. TRY

TRY Senior Member

Here she is!!

I came to know what is now "Maltese Falcon" in 2000 when I visite dthe Turkish yard Yildiz, associated with Perini, in Tuzla (Istambul - Turkey), where I was building my own little boat at that time.
    The initial steel-alloy 89M hull+superstructure they built for Perini was afloat along the Yildiz breakwater, biggest hull ever built for Perini in 1989-1990 but abandoned due to Gulf War One (1991).
    I even made a bid on the hull but Yildiz wanted to keep it "on their books".
    So now, some 13-14 years later the project is revived.

I found back some photographs, enjoy ........... (my photograph is dated 28 March 2000)

Attached Files:

3. gomaarten

gomaarten Guest

Thanks for that picture TRY, thats one of the first I have come across.
  4. hufloas

hufloas New Member

Thanks for the photo! :)

I've heard that she could be finished and launched this month.
  5. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I came across a website called Latitudes with some discussion on the Maltese Falcon and thought you guys might be interested...

Which Is Bigger? You Decide...

In the last several 'Lectronics, we've been talking about the world's largest privately-owned yachts - Jim Clark's 297-ft LOA clipper ship Athena, and Larry Ellison's 452-ft motoryacht Rising Sun - because they were both here in St. Barth and because they are both owned by Northern Californians.

In the course of reporting that, we mentioned that another Northern Californian, Tom Perkins of Belvedere, is building a yacht that depending on how you measure yachts, may become the largest privately-owned sailing yacht in the world.

Perkins was nice enough to write us and give us a graphic and numerical comparison of what might be considered the three largest sailing yachts in the world. On the left is Mirabella V, Joe Vittoria's new sloop, which clearly has the tallest mast in the world. The second is Athena, which is the longest if you include the bowsprit. On the right is Perkins' Maltese Falcon, due to launch next year, which is actually the largest in terms of on-deck length, as well as weight and volume.

Attached Files:

6. Rene GER

Rene GER Senior Member

Why she is build in steel? Is steel not too heavy? I had built in composite or aluminium. I think, more light = more speed...Am I wrong? Is it on a yacht in this size smooth? :confused:

Does anybody know her launching date?

Any idea or knowledge of her tender launching system?
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  7. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

The most compelling reason I've heard for using steel: Easily repaired virtually anywhere in the world. Both composite and alum require some pretty special equipment and facilities to fix any dmg that might happen, whereas steel can be welded more or less straight forward. If the owner is planning on going all over the world to remote areas then being able to effect a repair is likely a strong point to consider.
  8. Yachtspotter

Yachtspotter New Member

At the time of the beginning of the project, steel was the logical choice. Don't forget that the hull was built at the end of the Eighties. And few (maybe no one) hull for yacht of this size was built in aluminium in 1989... Isn't it?
  9. Rene GER

Rene GER Senior Member

At the end of the Eighties? OMG :eek: All the projekt so a long time? Design problems or fiancial trouble?

By the way, I've heard, that the rig design needed 4 years.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2005
  10. Yachtspotter

Yachtspotter New Member

René, have a look on the message n.2.
  11. jediwhite

jediwhite Senior Member

A little information

Anybody interested should check out March edition of Yachting World or Issue 64 (feb/mar) of the Yacht Report
    Jed White, Chief Engineer, Maltese Falcon!!
  12. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Launch Date?

I've been away for awhile visiting Panama, so haven't spent much time at a computer. Has anyone heard of the launch date for Maltese Falcon, or any delays? I thought she was to be launched by now?
  13. catmando

catmando Senior Member

Congrats fellow yachtforums member. :)
  14. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Launching

MALTESE FALCON LAUNCHED
    The Dijkstra-designed Maltese Falcon was launched on Friday April 14th. The three 188-foot tall masts will be stepped next month, and the yacht will be sailing by mid-May.

The complex but simple to operate rig is the result of wind tunnel testing, finite element analysis, computational fluid dynamics and 3d modeling.

View the first photos of the innovatively designed yacht at

http://www.infoasis.com/~latitude38/LectronicLat/2006/0406/Apr07/Apr7.html

Attached Files:

15. YachtForums

The owner/builder of Maltese Falcon is Tom Perkins, the ex-GM of Hewlett Packard and the venture capitalist behind AOL, Amazon and Genentech. In addition to building a sailboat with wings, he's also into rotory wings... he flies r/c helicopters. :cool:
  16. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

are there anynews and other pics since she came out of the shed??? :D
  17. Ben

Ben Senior Member

Intersting sail and mast setup. Look forward to seeing her full rigged.

What are all the wires for?
  18. Yacht News

remember ben, Maltese Falcons masts are supposed to rotate 360 degreees so the wires that u are seeing are mostlikely to provide the power for the mast to turn and also to send info and electirity to the spars etc.....Her Mast and spars are a very complexed set up so hence all the wires...

P.s Thanx Brian Eiland for posting the pics....i know i had probs posting dem myself....
  19. Yacht News

20. YachtForums

Thanks Ron! Good link.

I noticed the chief engineer is a member of YF. :)