Click for Elling
Click for Horizon
Click for McConaghy
Click for Delta
Click for McKinna
Click for Dockwise
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > YACHT & BOAT FORUMS > Motor Yachts > Palmer Johnson Yacht > Yacht Turmoil

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

Yacht Turmoil

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2006, 07:14 PM   #16 (permalink)

In Chicago1

She is pulling out of Monroe Harbor as I type. Signed up just so I could let you all know.
munzamail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:40 PM   #17 (permalink)

She is still in Burnham Harbor as of this morning... Went away for a day or so then came back and has been quite the talking point since (I have a view of the harbor from my condo).
munzamail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:01 AM   #18 (permalink)

Saw in the obits, this yacht's owner (a local boy) just passed away.
Dinsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 06:22 PM   #19 (permalink)

More About Turmoil's Owner

I understand (and appreciate!) the forum rules about non-disclosure of an owner. In the case of Turmoil (and as a journalist who just wrote about her), this may be an exception because the owner and Turmoil have just been written about in everything from the Wall St. Journal and NY Times to all the boating mags (which will come out with the story next month). I will, of course, bow to the sys-ops judgment on this. But I think this is of interest to Yacht Forum readers. In this case, Turmoil is/was owned by Gary Comer, who just passed away. Gary was not only a great guy and a championship Star sailor, but the founder of the vast Land's End mail-order program. He started it as a way to sell marine hardware and, in the process, gave the Harken brothers a start with their fledgling roller-bearing block business. A smart guy, he cashed out of Lands End which gave him the wherewithal to buy Turmoil. Better than that, however, he became a great philanthropist who used his money with wisdom and generosity to help people. Good sailing, Gary--you made the world a better place.
ayachtguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:35 PM   #20 (permalink)

turmoil

I was the chief engineer and the 2nd mate for the Turmoil for the last few months in shipyard to when she first left Palmer Johnson's back in 96 and did delivery to Maine until the owner took possession. Had only 5 crew members back then. It was a big boat for only 5 crew. The Captain hired 2 Turkish Stewards/Deckhands that had never been on a ship before and spoke very little English. Head chef got up at 5 am and did bridge watch from 8-midnight. I understand that changed not too soon after I departed but not sure if it did. Only know that the Captain was not there too much longer either. I would have agreed to stay on had the Captain come to his senses that this vessel could not be managed the same as the Turmoil 1, which was a sail boat. I worked 12-4 bridge watch as second mate and had my chief engineer responsibilities the rest of the time. The deckhands/stewards split shifted bridge watch and also cleaned cabins, were assistant chefs and served meals.

The ship was beautiful inside. I remember taking her through the locks on her delivery out to International waters off the coast of Maine for the owner to pass papers with Palmer Johnson's; the pilots were very impressed with the bridge. The bridge layout won awards that year. She had marble bathroom tile and antique rugs. The cabinetry from Palmer's was unbelievable. I plug in my laptop in my cabin and start up and sync the night and day generator before going to bed. Also could do this from the bridge. For that time, it was far advanced. We had a design flaw that was discovered during the sea trials in which the engine exhaust pipe was under water when the stern lowered at higher speeds. Exhaust built up in the engine room and I ended up with carbon monoxide poisioning. Anyway, the owner made sure I was flown to the best neurologist in Chicago the next day. He was a class act.
nantasker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:34 PM   #21 (permalink)

Thanks for the detailed description. It's a very nice read.
bnk190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:44 PM   #22 (permalink)

Nantasker...

You must be talking about a different "Turmoil"

The 209feet Turmoil pictured in post #2 was launched in June of 2006.
Build in Denmark, Europe at Royal Denship
Link http://www.royaldenship.com/default.aspx?id=255
???
Kruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:32 AM   #23 (permalink)

Hi,

Kruse, I think he was talking about the original motor yacht that was PJ Boat.

It had a few adventures itself whilst in NQEA in 1998. It had a fire on the upper aft deck one Sunday evening, the Engine Room Halon was accidentally set off by the yard and she fell over in the drydock another weekend.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:25 PM   #24 (permalink)

Turmoil

Turmoil, the one pictured, is now lying in Newport, RI. I am frequently on the water and this is the first time I have seen this vessel in Newport.
robm44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:44 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robm44
Turmoil, the one pictured, is now lying in Newport, RI. I am frequently on the water and this is the first time I have seen this vessel in Newport.

in boston harbor at yacht haven
will7833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 03:20 PM   #26 (permalink)

bnk190,

The yacht Turmoil is currently tied up at the Port of St. John's Newfoundland. She arrived around the 13th of July and will probably depart within a day or two.
elmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 04:07 PM   #27 (permalink)

I was looking at her today while at the Gym in Atlantic Place. Very nice!!
nikate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:31 PM   #28 (permalink)

Hi. My name is Steve. I am new to this forum. I saw Turmoil in Charleston earlier this year. What a beauty! Has anyone seen her since NL or know when she will be returning to the states?
sea legs steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:00 PM   #29 (permalink)

She was in Reykjavik for the last two weeks, she left today headed to the Azores.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:59 AM   #30 (permalink)

The Turmoil(as shown in post 2), out of the Cayman Islands, with the helicopter deck is in St. John's, NL, currently, she's been here for 2 days.
They were untying the copter to take it up for a flight when I just left viewing the vessel a half hour ago.
blitzen is offline   Reply With Quote