Click for Mag Bay Click for JetForums Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service

PJ "World" Preview

Discussion in 'Palmer Johnson Yacht' started by revdcs, Apr 8, 2009.

1. revdcs

revdcs Senior Member

Thanks for the preview, she looks really good and I'm looking forward to the review proper!

One small thing - she is showing a 'port' light on her starboard side in the renderings. Is there any particular reason for this?
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The same colour is shown on the port side too.

This should give you some insight to some of the mistakes regularly made by those doing the rendering who might have no marine experience and those doing the styling who likewise might have no real marine experience.
  3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

True, but this is the same picture that is mirrored. You also read the "NAME" mirrored...
  4. revdcs

revdcs Senior Member

Well spotted Lars!

Thank you.
  5. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Guys,

The artist behind the rendering isn't at fault. I flipped the shot horizontally in Photoshop to better facilitate YF's lay-out. I had an hour to put the preview together yesterday and take it live on the splash page. I should have touched-up that nav-light. My bad.
  6. brunick

brunick Senior Member

that preview is pretty cool, in the main facts i like that ship, but there are several points where i can't understand those designers like: why isn't there a heligarage? ice class hull and no heli garage? think of those bad-ass weather in ice regions.
    three storie master suite, but for those who really need the overview isn't even a good place found. this ship isn't really build for "ice class"

when i think of ice-class i'm thinking of a ship like this one:
    [​IMG]
    or this one:
    [​IMG]

;)
  7. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

While I like the looks, it's my understanding that superstructures have been pushed aft in order to reduce the vertical motion felt from the wheelhouse on down while underway in heavy seas (ostensibly the purview of the expedition yacht).

What's the purpose of moving things back forward if the owner/guest area - as well as all operational areas - is going to end up pitching (and perhaps rolling) more as a result? :confused: Is it purely aesthetic at the expense of function?
  8. corinthian99

corinthian99 New Member

I was lucky enough to see advance plans of this beast - I can assure all that it is quite a piece of kit and the guys building it are on the ball. Commercial yard used to research ships and naval vessels, not quite sure what the finish will be like though. As for ice class these guys are used to it.
  9. brunick

brunick Senior Member

there are some new pictures, even build pictures on the pj webpage, there are even general arrangements with shown heligarage, maybe a crane or some hydraulic plattform. there's a nice submarine garage :)

Picture Gallery

Attached Files:

10. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Is the Bow profile supposed to represent a bottlenose dolphin? Because it does to me.

I like it.
  11. bigboatbill

bigboatbill Senior Member

Ha! It does look like a dolphin!
  12. brunick

brunick Senior Member

does someone know where it's build?
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

It is being built now in a shipyard in Norway at Flekkefjord Slipp & Maskinfabrikk.

I understand that the steelwork for the hull was done in Poland.
  14. brunick

brunick Senior Member

ah ok, i thougt i'd recon that shipyard as "fsg flensburg" yard ;)
  15. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If they were building a yacht at FSG I would almost certainly have taken up your invitation for a coffee as I would have my nose well in the trough through my contacts there.
  16. brunick

brunick Senior Member

a yes, i just remembered the priv message, but i'd have said, lets drink it here:

Attached Files:

17. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

Does anyone know the latest with PJ World?
  18. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I was asked to bring some yachting expertise to this project when it was first mooted.

The team members I met had big ideas and no yacht experience, the thought of using anything other than black steel for pipes was an alien concept.

To the best of my knowledge the hull was built in Poland and then nothing has really gone on with it for a couple of years.

The original plan called for all the engineering and sea trials to be done and the boat to re locate to UK then fit the interior.

Maybe it is being finished in secret in Norway or somewhere else.

Only time will tell.
  19. Yachtguymke

Yachtguymke Senior Member

PJ World??

Any word on this project at all? PJ is still marketing the yacht on their website but haven't seen any new news on anything. I'll have to ask when I am up at their facilities at the end of the month.
  20. Milow232

Milow232 Guest

I think this photo underlines pretty much your post and shows us a very rusty lady...It indeed looks like Norway where she has been bound for years.
    Or did I not catch the newest hull colour trends?!;)

Instead the unexpirienced team members she is at least floating...
    Seriously it is sad to see a project ending like this!

PJ WORLD - IMO 9577020 - ShipSpotting.com - Ship Photos and Ship Tracker